Put together a new computer, not working.

dannyjr89

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I'm using:

-Pentium 4 630 (3ghz Socket 775 Cpu)
-1GB RAM OCZ Gold Edition DDR2 800 Memory 2x512MB
-P5N32-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce® 680i SLI) Motherboard
-Crucial RADEON X700 256MB PCI Express

I had to buy the memory, motherboard and video card new on ebay, the cpu came from my old pc. I put everything together and when I power it up I don't get any display or anything showing that it is running besides the power. I tried different power supplies. I tried moving around the memory, and checking the power cables and I checked the cpu and I noticed that my cpu heatsink isnt latched on completely, and theres 2 of the 4 plastic latches broke off, could my cpu be fried or do you think it may work with a new heatsink? Is there any compatibility issues with my hardware? Any help would be appreciated.
-Danny

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
If you don't hear your hard drives spinning up or if you can't get into the BIOS, your CPU might be fried.
You really need to look at locking down the heatsink before doing anything else in case your CPU isn't fried. There's no need to troubleshoot other problems when the biggest one could be your heatsink.
If you can get that locked down, reset your BIOS

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Agree, first figure out how to fasten down the HSF, it's always possible that it's the reason it was on E Bay. Usually if the HSF is secure, the computer will almost immediately shutdown because of heat but regardless it needs fixed. Have you tried disconnecting the hard drive to see if you can get into the BIOS? Have you tried a different video card or monitor? One time when I ran into this it was because I hadn't turned the monitor and spent hours screwing with it before I figured out what it was. :oops:

dannyjr89

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I have tried powering on with no drives attached and had no changes. I hadnt tried another monitor. I havent tried any other video cards because I only own 1 pci-express card which was purchased new on ebay. I will buy a new heatsink and try a different monitor. I'll let you know if it works or not.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Be sure to clean both the CPU and HSF and put new thermal paste on. Rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter works great for cleaning. Can you borrow a video card? If not if you can find a local computer store without a restocking fee, you could always buy and card to test and return it.