Newb Q: Displaying widescreen DVD movie on 16:9 display

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 26, 2005 7:46:46 PM

Hi, I just got a Sharp LC-32GA5U from onecall.com. It was double-boxed and
arrived in excellent, undamaged condition via FedEx.

I have my HD cable box set up for pass-through...no problem there.

However, and I know this is probably a stupid question, my widescreen DVD's
don't automatically stretch to fill the screen.

I have a Philips 724AT DVD player, I set widescreen in its config and I
have progressive scan turned on (the TV shows 480p).

But, when I load, say, Empire Strikes Back, I have to manually set the
stretch mode on the TV to get it to fill the screen...is this normal or
should it fill automatically? Does anamorphic have anything to do with it?

tia
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:46:47 PM

Nobody wrote:
> Hi, I just got a Sharp LC-32GA5U from onecall.com. It was double-boxed and
> arrived in excellent, undamaged condition via FedEx.
>
> I have my HD cable box set up for pass-through...no problem there.
>
> However, and I know this is probably a stupid question, my widescreen DVD's
> don't automatically stretch to fill the screen.
>
> I have a Philips 724AT DVD player, I set widescreen in its config and I
> have progressive scan turned on (the TV shows 480p).
>
> But, when I load, say, Empire Strikes Back, I have to manually set the
> stretch mode on the TV to get it to fill the screen...is this normal or
> should it fill automatically? Does anamorphic have anything to do with it?
>
> tia

There are FAQ web pages on this, but look at the Original Aspect Ratio
(OAR) of the movie. Modern movies typically are made in 2 aspect ratios:
1.85:1 and 2.35:1 (or 2.39:1 which is the same thing). Movies made
before the early 1950s were mostly 1.37:1, other common OARs are 1.66:1
(ABC HD broadcast of Aladdin last weekend was in it's OAR of 1.66:1 - cool).

Your widescreen 16:9 TV has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. You will see
either no letterboxing or very small black bars for 1.85:1 anamorphic
movies due to the overscan of your TV. Empire Strikes Back, however, is
a 2.35:1 movie. On a 16:9 TV, the anamorphic picture will fill up about
76% (1.78/2.35) of the screen height with letterboxing. On a standard
4:3 set, the picture will fill up about 56% (1.33/2.35) of the screen
height, so you are a lot better off with the 16:9 set for movie
watching. For 1.66:1 movies, you should get some thing pillarboxes on
the side, for example.

About half of all movies made in recent years are 1.85:1 - typically
comedies or dramas, the other half are the 2.35:1 - the action and
special effect flicks, although this is hardly a fast rule. Last night I
watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow on my 42" HD TV. Not
having seen it before, I had thought this would be a 2.35:1 movie as the
DVD box only said widescreen. Turned out it is a 1.85:1 movie, so it was
not letterboxed.

I don't think this is the web page on this topic, but it is one I have
a link bookmarked for:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welco....

Hope this helps,
Alan F
January 26, 2005 8:32:03 PM

Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in

> Nobody wrote:
>> Hi, I just got a Sharp LC-32GA5U from onecall.com. It was
>> double-boxed and arrived in excellent, undamaged condition via FedEx.
>>
>> I have my HD cable box set up for pass-through...no problem there.
>>
>> However, and I know this is probably a stupid question, my widescreen
>> DVD's don't automatically stretch to fill the screen.
>>
>> I have a Philips 724AT DVD player, I set widescreen in its config and
>> I have progressive scan turned on (the TV shows 480p).
>>
>> But, when I load, say, Empire Strikes Back, I have to manually set
>> the stretch mode on the TV to get it to fill the screen...is this
>> normal or should it fill automatically? Does anamorphic have
>> anything to do with it?
>>
>> tia
>
> There are FAQ web pages on this, but look at the Original Aspect
> Ratio
> (OAR) of the movie. Modern movies typically are made in 2 aspect
> ratios: 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 (or 2.39:1 which is the same thing). Movies
> made before the early 1950s were mostly 1.37:1, other common OARs are
> 1.66:1 (ABC HD broadcast of Aladdin last weekend was in it's OAR of
> 1.66:1 - cool).
>
> Your widescreen 16:9 TV has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. You will see
> either no letterboxing or very small black bars for 1.85:1 anamorphic
> movies due to the overscan of your TV. Empire Strikes Back, however,
> is a 2.35:1 movie. On a 16:9 TV, the anamorphic picture will fill up
> about 76% (1.78/2.35) of the screen height with letterboxing. On a
> standard 4:3 set, the picture will fill up about 56% (1.33/2.35) of
> the screen height, so you are a lot better off with the 16:9 set for
> movie watching. For 1.66:1 movies, you should get some thing
> pillarboxes on the side, for example.
>
> About half of all movies made in recent years are 1.85:1 - typically
> comedies or dramas, the other half are the 2.35:1 - the action and
> special effect flicks, although this is hardly a fast rule. Last night
> I watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow on my 42" HD TV. Not
> having seen it before, I had thought this would be a 2.35:1 movie as
> the DVD box only said widescreen. Turned out it is a 1.85:1 movie, so
> it was not letterboxed.
>
> I don't think this is the web page on this topic, but it is one I
> have
> a link bookmarked for:
> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welco....

Thanks for the info and the link, but this really didn't answer my
question.

Let me try to clarify. If I just fire up ESB in my DVD player, I get a
letterboxed, 4:3 picture in the center of my 16:9 display. I need to
manually set the stretch mode on the TV to utilize the full width of my
display. Is this normal to have to manually set the stretch mode on the
TV to utilize the full width or is my DVD player not configured properly?

Thanks!
January 26, 2005 8:32:04 PM

> Thanks for the info and the link, but this really didn't answer my
> question.
>
> Let me try to clarify. If I just fire up ESB in my DVD player, I get a
> letterboxed, 4:3 picture in the center of my 16:9 display. I need to
> manually set the stretch mode on the TV to utilize the full width of my
> display. Is this normal to have to manually set the stretch mode on the
> TV to utilize the full width or is my DVD player not configured properly?
>
> Thanks!

What connection are you using to connect your DVD player to the TV?
On my DVD player I had to set the monitor display to 16:9 so it would
know what format to send out by default, but other than that the TV
just is always in "full" mode.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:32:05 PM

make sure you are using component.. or if available dvi... otherwise you
will have to "Strecth" it

--
ShadowEKU
January 26, 2005 11:34:34 PM

"Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in

>> Thanks for the info and the link, but this really didn't answer my
>> question.
>>
>> Let me try to clarify. If I just fire up ESB in my DVD player, I get
>> a letterboxed, 4:3 picture in the center of my 16:9 display. I need
>> to manually set the stretch mode on the TV to utilize the full width
>> of my display. Is this normal to have to manually set the stretch
>> mode on the TV to utilize the full width or is my DVD player not
>> configured properly?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> What connection are you using to connect your DVD player to the TV?
> On my DVD player I had to set the monitor display to 16:9 so it would
> know what format to send out by default, but other than that the TV
> just is always in "full" mode.

Component connection. I set video output type to widescreen in the DVD
setup menu.

It sounds like you have stretch mode on all the time, though...
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:34:35 PM

Nobody wrote:
> "Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in
>
>>>Thanks for the info and the link, but this really didn't answer my
>>>question.
>>>
>>>Let me try to clarify. If I just fire up ESB in my DVD player, I get
>>>a letterboxed, 4:3 picture in the center of my 16:9 display. I need
>>>to manually set the stretch mode on the TV to utilize the full width
>>>of my display. Is this normal to have to manually set the stretch
>>>mode on the TV to utilize the full width or is my DVD player not
>>>configured properly?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>

>>What connection are you using to connect your DVD player to the TV?
>>On my DVD player I had to set the monitor display to 16:9 so it would
>>know what format to send out by default, but other than that the TV
>>just is always in "full" mode.
>>

> Component connection. I set video output type to widescreen in the DVD
> setup menu.
>
> It sounds like you have stretch mode on all the time, though...

Hmm, if you have your DVD player set to 16:9 or widescreen you should
get a proper letterbox on your TV. What you are getting is not normally
called letterboxed, but instead pictureboxed with black bars on all 4
sides, which is why I mis-read your post a bit. Assuming your version of
ESB is from the recent release, it should be a good anamorphic version.
There are earlier DVD widescreen releases where they encoded the black
bars in the video data, so you are stuck with the letterboxing unless
you zoom with a noticeable loss in picture quality.

I would try some other DVDs and step through the aspect settings on
your Sharp to make sure that it is not a messed up setting somewhere
else. And double check the setup on the DVD player.

Alan F
January 26, 2005 11:38:00 PM

ShadowEKU <ShadowEKU.1jhecn@satelliteguys.us> wrote in

> make sure you are using component.. or if available dvi... otherwise you
> will have to "Strecth" it

I am using component...

So, are you saying the DVD player should be outputting a signal that the TV
should know is 16:9 and automatically display it that way?

tia
January 27, 2005 3:56:46 AM

Somewhere around Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:38:00 GMT, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Nobody
<nobody@nowhere.com>:

>ShadowEKU <ShadowEKU.1jhecn@satelliteguys.us> wrote in
>

>> make sure you are using component.. or if available dvi... otherwise you
>> will have to "Strecth" it
>>

>I am using component...
>
>So, are you saying the DVD player should be outputting a signal that the TV
>should know is 16:9 and automatically display it that way?

You need to tell the DVD player that you have a 16:9 TV, and you need to
tell the TV to display wide (not stretched). This is for anamorphic videos.
Some videos are not anamorphic, and will be squashed vertically (or
stretched horizontally). For those you use a stretch mode on the TV, or you
can watch with bars on both the sides and the top/bottom.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 7:25:08 AM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:18:18 -0500, Alan Figgatt
<afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:

>Assuming your version of
>ESB is from the recent release, it should be a good anamorphic version.

Unless Nobody blew it and bought the so-called "full screen" edition.
I don't know why anyone would do something so stupid, but it's
possible.

Or maybe it's a fan preservation of the original from LD, rather than
the (butchered) "official" release?

>There are earlier DVD widescreen releases where they encoded the black
>bars in the video data, so you are stuck with the letterboxing unless
>you zoom with a noticeable loss in picture quality.

All widescreen (i.e. >16:9) releases have black bars encoded in the
video data. The older letterboxed-but-not-anamorphic versions just
have much larger black bars encoded in the video data.
January 27, 2005 11:54:45 AM

"Karyudo" <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:18:18 -0500, Alan Figgatt
> <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Assuming your version of
>>ESB is from the recent release, it should be a good anamorphic version.
>
> Unless Nobody blew it and bought the so-called "full screen" edition.
> I don't know why anyone would do something so stupid, but it's
> possible.

Do you play a dick in real life, or only on Usenet? Sorry if that wasn't
your intent, you just came off badly here.

FWIW, it's an easy mistake to make since Fox switched the copper/silver
color scheme from Ep I+II to IV,V, and VI. Doesn't look quite right sitting
on my shelf. I've never personally bought fullscreen DVDs, but did get into
the checkout line with one once before I realized my mistake.

One thing I'd like to know is if all movies "picturebox" for him, or just
ESB.
January 27, 2005 8:41:09 PM

"Rich" <rich@nospam.com> wrote in news:9o6Kd.10843$sG2.6623@fe07.lga:

> "Karyudo" <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:18:18 -0500, Alan Figgatt
>> <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Assuming your version of
>>>ESB is from the recent release, it should be a good anamorphic
>>>version.
>>
>> Unless Nobody blew it and bought the so-called "full screen" edition.
>> I don't know why anyone would do something so stupid, but it's
>> possible.
>
> Do you play a dick in real life, or only on Usenet? Sorry if that
> wasn't your intent, you just came off badly here.
>
> FWIW, it's an easy mistake to make since Fox switched the
> copper/silver color scheme from Ep I+II to IV,V, and VI. Doesn't look
> quite right sitting on my shelf. I've never personally bought
> fullscreen DVDs, but did get into the checkout line with one once
> before I realized my mistake.
>
> One thing I'd like to know is if all movies "picturebox" for him, or
> just ESB.

I don't have full-screen versions...I can read.
January 27, 2005 8:43:57 PM

Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in news:0vadnSGs1_TBlGXcRVn-
uQ@comcast.com:

> Nobody wrote:
>> "Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in

>>>What connection are you using to connect your DVD player to the TV?
>>>On my DVD player I had to set the monitor display to 16:9 so it would
>>>know what format to send out by default, but other than that the TV
>>>just is always in "full" mode.
>>>

>> Component connection. I set video output type to widescreen in the
DVD
>> setup menu.
>>
>> It sounds like you have stretch mode on all the time, though...
>
> Hmm, if you have your DVD player set to 16:9 or widescreen you should
> get a proper letterbox on your TV. What you are getting is not normally
> called letterboxed, but instead pictureboxed with black bars on all 4
> sides, which is why I mis-read your post a bit. Assuming your version
of
> ESB is from the recent release, it should be a good anamorphic version.
> There are earlier DVD widescreen releases where they encoded the black
> bars in the video data, so you are stuck with the letterboxing unless
> you zoom with a noticeable loss in picture quality.
>
> I would try some other DVDs and step through the aspect settings on
> your Sharp to make sure that it is not a messed up setting somewhere
> else. And double check the setup on the DVD player.
>
> Alan F

The setting on the player does make a difference. I *do* have to set
widescreen on the DVD player itself. Then, if I have a DVD like ESB, I
have to set the Sharp to 'Stretch'. For a DVD like 'Homicide: Life on
the Streets Seasons 1 & 2', I have to set the Sharp to 'Side Bars',
otherwise, the picture is all out of wack.

Bottom line is, I guess nothing is messed up. I just have to alter the
stretch mode on the Sharp depending on what I am watching.
January 27, 2005 8:48:15 PM

Marty <this.address@is.invalid> wrote in

> Somewhere around Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:38:00 GMT, while reading
> alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Nobody
> <nobody@nowhere.com>:
>
>>ShadowEKU <ShadowEKU.1jhecn@satelliteguys.us> wrote in
>>

>>> make sure you are using component.. or if available dvi... otherwise
>>> you will have to "Strecth" it
>>>

>>I am using component...
>>
>>So, are you saying the DVD player should be outputting a signal that
>>the TV should know is 16:9 and automatically display it that way?
>
> You need to tell the DVD player that you have a 16:9 TV, and you need
> to tell the TV to display wide (not stretched). This is for
> anamorphic videos. Some videos are not anamorphic, and will be
> squashed vertically (or stretched horizontally). For those you use a
> stretch mode on the TV, or you can watch with bars on both the sides
> and the top/bottom.

Thank you! FINALLY, an answer to my question! I have my DVD player set
to widescreen. For Empire, I then need to set the Sharp's stretch mode
to 'Stretch' (I went through the THX video tests...this is the right mode
for this disc) and it looks great (including menus which completely fill
the screen). Any other stretch mode on the TV and the picture isn't
right. I still have some black bars on top and bottom.
For 4:3 DVD content (Homicide Seasons 1&2, for example), I need to set
the Sharp's stretch mode to 'Side Bars'.

So, bottom line appears to be that I have to set the TV's stretch mode
depending on the DVD's content. Does this sound right?

I leave the DVD player set to widescreen all the time.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:48:16 PM

Nobody wrote:

> I leave the DVD player set to widescreen all the time.

Not 16:9? My DVD players have both a widescreen (4:3) setting and a 16:9
setting. If you have a 16:9 display, the DVD player should be set to 16:9.

Matthew
January 27, 2005 9:16:35 PM

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in

> Nobody wrote:
>

>> I leave the DVD player set to widescreen all the time.
> >

> Not 16:9? My DVD players have both a widescreen (4:3) setting and a
> 16:9 setting. If you have a 16:9 display, the DVD player should be set
> to 16:9.
>
> Matthew

I have Philips 724AT which has 3 settings:

Normal (Pan & Scan)
Normal (Letterbox)
Widescreen
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:33:43 AM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:41:09 GMT, Nobody <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I don't have full-screen versions...I can read.

Cool. From what you were writing, I was pretty confident you didn't
have FS, but relevant details like that have been left out by posters
in the past. Hard to solve a "why does it look wrong" problem, if the
problem is well upstream of the player and TV!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:51:27 PM

"Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> ShadowEKU <ShadowEKU.1jhecn@satelliteguys.us> wrote in
>

>> make sure you are using component.. or if available dvi... otherwise you
>> will have to "Strecth" it
>>

> I am using component...
>
> So, are you saying the DVD player should be outputting a signal that the
> TV
> should know is 16:9 and automatically display it that way?
>
> tia

===================================
Is you DVD player set to 16:9?
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:53:21 PM

> So, bottom line appears to be that I have to set the TV's stretch mode
> depending on the DVD's content. Does this sound right?
>
> I leave the DVD player set to widescreen all the time.

===========================
And you should leave your TV on "full" mode all the time........

NOT a stretch mode!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:56:05 PM

"Marty" <this.address@is.invalid> wrote in message

> Not trying to troll, since I've always looked for wide screen editions,
> but
> I've heard that many or most modern films are being made with 4:3 in mind,

=======================
But that is not true.
Most modern films are made ONLY with the theatrical aspect ratio in mind.
T========================

> and often the studio makes separate versions for film, HD, and SD, making
> it
> hard to determine which is really the "correct" version.

=====================================
The ONLY correct version is the ORIGINAL aspect ratio as shown in the
theater.
======================================

> And I also found
> out that many of my "wide screen" versions were simply 4:3 versions that
> were further cut top and bottom to look letterboxed. But I still would
> feel
> violated if I ended up with a 4:3 version of a video. :)

===============================
Learn what matting is.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:57:52 PM

"Karyudo" <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in message
news:o b8jv054hsk1i8vhqr7l8nbng1rl3lkhf8@4ax.com...

> Still, when I can watch "American Idol" and notice that the feed I'm
> seeing is quite obviously chopped from a widescreen version (look at
> the New Orleans audition show: Randy's head is often cut in half, and
> Simon is frequently almost completely excised!), then the warm fuzzy
> idea that directors are out there doing their best to make your 4:3
> experience a happy one is clearly false (for the most part).

=================================
You are correct!
American Idol (lime most other prime-time shows) is shot for 16:9 and is
hacked up to fill a 4:3 screen.
I have watched several of the new season in full 16:9 HD and it looks quite
good.
January 28, 2005 4:59:13 PM

> The setting on the player does make a difference. I *do* have to set
> widescreen on the DVD player itself. Then, if I have a DVD like ESB, I
> have to set the Sharp to 'Stretch'. For a DVD like 'Homicide: Life on
> the Streets Seasons 1 & 2', I have to set the Sharp to 'Side Bars',
> otherwise, the picture is all out of wack.
>
> Bottom line is, I guess nothing is messed up. I just have to alter the
> stretch mode on the Sharp depending on what I am watching.

=============================
You should NOT have to alter the mode at all.
Are you using COMPONENT outputs from the player to the TV?
January 28, 2005 7:59:03 PM

Karyudo <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in
news:D t8jv01tkd0lopafvtn85ie45stgp70c09@4ax.com:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:41:09 GMT, Nobody <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't have full-screen versions...I can read.
>
> Cool. From what you were writing, I was pretty confident you didn't
> have FS, but relevant details like that have been left out by posters
> in the past. Hard to solve a "why does it look wrong" problem, if the
> problem is well upstream of the player and TV!

no prob
January 28, 2005 11:19:16 PM

Richard C. wrote:

> "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>

>>So, bottom line appears to be that I have to set the TV's stretch mode
>>depending on the DVD's content. Does this sound right?
>>
>>I leave the DVD player set to widescreen all the time.
>

> ===========================
> And you should leave your TV on "full" mode all the time........
>
> NOT a stretch mode!

I have a Toshiba DLP and if a normal SD channel (4:3 format) is set to
full the picture is all distorted. The picture is stretched wider to
fill the width of the screen but not stretched taller. On this TV "Full
is recommended for 16:9{480i, 480p} source programs only. When watching
SD channels I normally have it set to "Natural". If I want to stretch
the program I'm watching I use one of the Theaterwide setting, but not full.

Sharon
January 31, 2005 9:20:32 PM

Somewhere around Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:43:57 GMT, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Nobody
<nobody@nowhere.com>:

.. . .

>The setting on the player does make a difference. I *do* have to set
>widescreen on the DVD player itself. Then, if I have a DVD like ESB, I
>have to set the Sharp to 'Stretch'. For a DVD like 'Homicide: Life on
>the Streets Seasons 1 & 2', I have to set the Sharp to 'Side Bars',
>otherwise, the picture is all out of wack.
>
>Bottom line is, I guess nothing is messed up. I just have to alter the
>stretch mode on the Sharp depending on what I am watching.

I'm not sure what all the labels mean on different models, but you shouldn't
actually have to use any stretch mode on anamorphic videos. Anamorphic
videos are shot with a lens that squashes the video horizontally, and is
made to display widescreen without needing to be stretched. Actual
stretching is taking a small image and simply magnifying it by interpolating
pixels to make it bigger - like digital zoom on a digital camera, vs optical
zoom.

But, this may just be terminology; the effect is, it looks like stretching
even if it's simply correcting a squashed image.

Are you sure your DVD player doesn't have another place to set TV aspect
ratio? I have a Philips player, and it specifically has a TV setting for
16:9 or 4:3, separate from the widscreen/pan&scan setting.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
!