Microsoft Antispyware Beta

June 4, 2005 4:02:09 PM

I've recently had to reinstall Microsoft AntiSpyware Version 1.0.501 on
my Windows XP (Home edition) service pack 2 pc. It's working OK except
that it now can't detect an internet connection to download updated
definitions, which it could always do in the past. I don't think it's
a firewall issue; it's on my firewall's list of allowed applications
and the filepath etc are correct.

Anyone got any ideas about what might be causing the problem?

Steve
June 4, 2005 7:56:11 PM

I believe you'll find if you reinstall an app, that requires internet
access, a second entry will/should be made to the firewall allowable list.
Try deleting the app, in the firewall list, see if its then found.
or explicitly allow it.

"Stephen Glynn" <stephen.glynn@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I've recently had to reinstall Microsoft AntiSpyware Version 1.0.501 on
> my Windows XP (Home edition) service pack 2 pc. It's working OK except
> that it now can't detect an internet connection to download updated
> definitions, which it could always do in the past. I don't think it's
> a firewall issue; it's on my firewall's list of allowed applications
> and the filepath etc are correct.
>
> Anyone got any ideas about what might be causing the problem?
>
> Steve
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 7:56:12 PM

DL wrote:
> I believe you'll find if you reinstall an app, that requires internet
> access, a second entry will/should be made to the firewall allowable list.
> Try deleting the app, in the firewall list, see if its then found.
> or explicitly allow it.

Thanks. I've just tried that, but no luck. I've even tried disabling
the firewall altogether but Antispyware doesn't seem to be trying to
connect to the internet (nor has it tried to, according to my firewall's
log, since I reinstalled it).

Steve
Related resources
June 4, 2005 11:13:36 PM

If you turned off the firewall, then tried Antispyware to 'update now' and
it doesn't connect, perhaps its a configuration or installation issue

> DL wrote:
> > I believe you'll find if you reinstall an app, that requires internet
> > access, a second entry will/should be made to the firewall allowable
list.
> > Try deleting the app, in the firewall list, see if its then found.
> > or explicitly allow it.
> >

> Thanks. I've just tried that, but no luck. I've even tried disabling
> the firewall altogether but Antispyware doesn't seem to be trying to
> connect to the internet (nor has it tried to, according to my firewall's
> log, since I reinstalled it).
>
> Steve
June 4, 2005 11:15:08 PM

I meant to add if this is your correct email, you are posting to a usergroup
where your mail add will be harvested by the spammers.
Munge your add.

"Stephen Glynn" <stephen.glynn@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> DL wrote:
> > I believe you'll find if you reinstall an app, that requires internet
> > access, a second entry will/should be made to the firewall allowable
list.
> > Try deleting the app, in the firewall list, see if its then found.
> > or explicitly allow it.
> >

> Thanks. I've just tried that, but no luck. I've even tried disabling
> the firewall altogether but Antispyware doesn't seem to be trying to
> connect to the internet (nor has it tried to, according to my firewall's
> log, since I reinstalled it).
>
> Steve
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:19:01 AM

FL, I'm pretty new to using newsgroup and have only post a few things but
straight away have noticed an increase in unsolicited emails, phising etc.
Sorry to be thick and please bear with me group but when I post how do I
ensure that I isn't giving a big green light too spam?

thanks

john

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
news:o Ht3VFTaFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I meant to add if this is your correct email, you are posting to a
>usergroup
> where your mail add will be harvested by the spammers.
> Munge your add.
>
> "Stephen Glynn" <stephen.glynn@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> DL wrote:
>> > I believe you'll find if you reinstall an app, that requires internet
>> > access, a second entry will/should be made to the firewall allowable
> list.
>> > Try deleting the app, in the firewall list, see if its then found.
>> > or explicitly allow it.
>> >

>> Thanks. I've just tried that, but no luck. I've even tried disabling
>> the firewall altogether but Antispyware doesn't seem to be trying to
>> connect to the internet (nor has it tried to, according to my firewall's
>> log, since I reinstalled it).
>>
>> Steve

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:19:02 AM

Munge your address for the newsgroups.

"John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| FL, I'm pretty new to using newsgroup and have only post a few things but
| straight away have noticed an increase in unsolicited emails, phising etc.
| Sorry to be thick and please bear with me group but when I post how do I
| ensure that I isn't giving a big green light too spam?
|
| thanks
|
| john
|
| "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
| news:o Ht3VFTaFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| >I meant to add if this is your correct email, you are posting to a
| >usergroup
| > where your mail add will be harvested by the spammers.
| > Munge your add.
| >
| > "Stephen Glynn" <stephen.glynn@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| > list.
| >> >

| >> Thanks. I've just tried that, but no luck. I've even tried disabling
| >> the firewall altogether but Antispyware doesn't seem to be trying to
| >> connect to the internet (nor has it tried to, according to my
firewall's
| >> log, since I reinstalled it).
| >>
| >> Steve

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:19:02 AM

In news:Vxroe.3160$BQ3.2328@newsfe3-win.ntli.net,
John Lord <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> typed:

> FL, I'm pretty new to using newsgroup and have only post a few
> things
> but straight away have noticed an increase in unsolicited
> emails,
> phising etc. Sorry to be thick and please bear with me group
> but when
> I post how do I ensure that I isn't giving a big green light
> too spam?

You are posting using your real return address. That is exactly
"giving a big green light too spam."

Use a false address, either completely false, as I do, or
slightly altered with instructions in your signature to unalter
it.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:17:27 PM

I would try using Ad-aware and also Spybot for spyware removal tools. Both
are free, and are better than MS anti-spyware, which is still beta anyway.

!