How to get into back into windows after failed Dual boot attempt.

jordancorkhill

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Hi,

I'm extreamly happy at how well windows 7 is turning out, but due to compatibilty issues in 64-bit windows 7 i cannot play some of my older games that i own and would like too play.

Anyway, i wanted to dual boot windows 7 with XP. I partitioned my HDD with the built in utility and waited for it to format. I then restarted my computer with the XP disc in the DVD-Drive and waited for it to install on my newly made partition. After it restarted for the first time i got a "Disk read error - Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart" and this continues to happen so i cannot get into windows.

I've looked up this error and i can't find any definitive answers, that's why im here now. Can anyone tell me how to get back into windows 7 or at least aid me in doing a clean install of windows.

Thanks
Jordan.

sturm

Splendid
So you installed xp after windows 7? You need to run the boot recovery solution like you do with vista when installing xp after Vista is already installed.
Normally you would install the olderst os first then the newer one.
I have a vista/xp dual boot at home that I installed xp then vista and have had zero problems with.

jordancorkhill

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Instead of creating a new thread i thought i'd just update on this one.

Well through the repair utility that you can access when you boot from the windows 7 DVD i was able to get back into windows. The Partition still has the Windows XP files on it and i was wondering how to continue with the XP installation as when i reset i just go back into Windows 7.

Thanks
Jordan.