ASUS P5K Deluxe
Intel C2D E6700
2Gb Corsair TwinX Dominator PC8500
Sapphire 512mb HD2900XT
SilverStone OP750 - 750watt PSU - 1 rail - 60amps
2 x Optiarc DVD-RW 7170S
2 x 250gb Seagate Barracuda (RAID'ed)
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music

my problem is that whenever i try and install software from a CD or DVD within windows (XP SP2) my computer powers down, and restarts. It mainly happens when the CD/DVD is spinning at maximum speed. It is also very slow to change music tracks within WMP. However i have managed to install windows fine, on more than one occasion.

Im thinking that my DVD-RW's could be drawing too much power when they are spinning at top speed, even though my PSU is 750watt, it only has one 60A rail.

I read on other forums that PSU's that have one rail offer performance benefits, thats why i decided to go with the SilverStone OP750, however i think im starting to regret my choice.

Iv stripped my system back as far as it can go with regards to components, turned off fans, removed sound card and removed the spare DVD-RW, but the problem still remains.

The temperature of my system is fine, motherboard around 40 degrees, and CPU around 35 degrees, hard drives are cold to touch, the hottest compontent is the HD2900, it is one hell of a card, its very warm to touch, iv managed to have a few hours gaming in HL2 and Quake4 with not a single reboot, so i very much doubt its the temperate of my system causing the reboot.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, iv had this problem now for over a week and im still no where near finding a solution :(

many thanks

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
since you said that you have already stripped the hard ware down to bare minimums, have you tried using a different cd/dvd drive? does the problem still exist with only 1 dvd drive installed?

i saw a review about your card yesterday that said it could pull up to 250w. thats a tremendous amount, but still leaves you with 500w. thats enough power but i think your amperage is the problem with only one rail.

sailer

Splendid
I can think of three possibilities offhand.

First, the psu isn't putting out its rated power or failing in some other way. Granted, there might be some argument that a 850wt would be better with what you have, a 750wt psu should handle the hardware that you list.

Second, there may be a problem with one or both of the disc drives. The drive(s) should not be drawing all that much power. If it is, then a problem exists. You might try taking the drives out and re-installing them with care not to tighten the screws too much. I have experienced a problem in the past of having screws too tight and slowing a drive. After that, you might try substituting a different drive, perhaps an external one, to see if the problem persists. If it continues with a differetn drive, then its back to the psu.

Last, there is a possibility of a short in the system that opens up when a drive is used. That said, I doubt that is occuring.

If the only time you suffer a problem is when using a disc drive, then most likely either the PSU or the disc drive is the problem.