Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow (Help)

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 14, 2009 9:11:53 PM

I was looking at a list of hotkeys for windows XP and saw the command to flip the screen upside down (Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow). The problem is even though I read it was an XP command I tried it anyway on this system using Vista.

The result was changing my screen display to a very low resolution. "Strange" I said, so i restart my system to find my display at it's resolution before i pressed Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow seemingly fixing my problem.

Problem is when I go to look at my display settings I see an "Invalid Display Settings" error and find that the resolution slider is all the way to the left as "-1, -1 pixels". Also, I cannot run any games.

I did try "Ctrl+Alt+Up Arrow" but nothing seemed to change.

More about : ctrl alt arrow

October 15, 2009 2:14:06 PM

Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Down again
m
l
October 15, 2009 2:16:29 PM

Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Down again, see wot that duzz
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2009 3:03:41 PM

Pressing "Ctrl+Alt+Down" again seems to have no effect, still have the problem.
m
l
October 15, 2009 5:13:56 PM

Go into safe mode (F8 at startup) and change the display setting from there. If you are using a third party app like Nview or the catalyst from ATI use that instead to override the settings.

You may need to uncheck a box that displays "hide resolutions my screen cannot display" I have seen this block resolutions that a screen can really display.

Post back with what you found!
m
l
October 15, 2009 6:07:03 PM

Are Nview and catalyst programs for graphics cards for their respective manufacturers? If so, I have an intel graphics card. Specifically "Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family" on the "HP Pavilion dv6000" notebook.

I went into safe mode, checked out my display settings and everything looked normal. I could slide the resolution from left to right and the "hide resolution my screen cannot display" is indeed unchecked on both safe mode and normally.

Unfortunately I still have the problem when I go back to normal mode.
m
l
October 15, 2009 7:45:03 PM

Yes Intel should have something like "Inetl Monitor" (not sure but its close) Usually an icon of a screen in the taskbar tray. You can try that as well.

Also DV6000's have been known to have all sorts of issues. Owning a computer repair shop, I see these at lease twice a month if not more. DV6000 owners keep me in business!
m
l
October 15, 2009 8:09:07 PM

Hehe, well I haven't had any other problems with it other than this. I've been using it for about 10 months now.

I know what you're saying about that icon in the tray but since I had this incident it refuses to load when double-clicked.
m
l

Best solution

October 16, 2009 5:15:23 PM

Is it possible for youto uninstall the video driver and reinstall it? Seems weird that the intel graphics program doesnt start.

As always post back with your findings
October 16, 2009 8:20:14 PM

I've never done any uninstalling or reinstalling of any drivers before so I searched Google for a possible guide and found this.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52502

Though they do say Nvidia and ATI specifically I tried it anyway. I reached the "Section C windows" step 5 and was unsure what to do when running driver sweeper. Also, I don't know how to go about installing it again.

Thankfully I found the System Restore program and restored to before I uninstalled and deleted all that stuff.

So that's what I tried anyway, if you have any kind of guide that can help me that would be much appreciated. Thank you for helping me thus far.

I'm not too concerned if I can't fix this because playing games is the only thing this is preventing me from doing. I plan on taking a course at a local college in January, hoping to get a job in IT. Hope to familiarize myself some obscure problems, otherwise I'd just have ignored it.
m
l
Anonymous
March 30, 2012 9:34:00 AM

aaaah, please help! i have done the exact same thing (pressing control+alt+down, thinking it would flip my screen) and now i have nooooooooo idea how to change this D: im not very confident in reinstalling and sorting drivers and things out, please help if you can? :( 
m
l
!