Parts came, put it together, wont boot.

drugfreeboy

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I got the part in for a homebuild im making for a friend. After I got it all put together and plugged in, I pressed the power button, lights lit and fans spun for about 1 second, and then it powered back down

I checked and rechecked everything, it's all plugged in correctly. I am thinking it might be a bad motherboard, but this is my first intel build and i dont have any other boards i can swap out to test it.

Asus P5N-E Sli
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4
2gb G.Skill DDR2 800
Seagate 320gb 7200 RPM Sata 3.0
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
Samsung 18x DVD+RW

am i forgetting to do something important that i can laugh at myself about later? (hopefully :? )

thanks for the help

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Sounds like a power issue. Is there a 110/220 selector on the back of your PSU? Maybe the power/reset switches are on the wrong connectors on the board. Also make sure the CPU is properly seated in the socket.
You could try putting it together outside the case to see if you're maybe shorting something in the case.

Remember, if you get frustrated just give it a little kick, who knows it might work 8O

*edit* check the powerswitch for proper functioning, it could be as simple as that :oops:

drugfreeboy

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
hmm... well i've switched out the powersupply for another one and got the same result
i think the CPU is in properly, is there anyway i can tell.
building it outside the case sounds like a good idea, ill try that next

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
This happens a bit and is quite often caused by the motheboard shorting to the case somehow, Did you use the screw standoffs? also make sure the MOBO isnt touching the case directly anywhere else.

A freind of mine had this problem and it turned out to be a screw that was loose and rattling around in the case and then it got wedged between the MOBO and the case.