Sign in with
Your question

Help on torrent downloads dropping my connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 19, 2008 12:42:05 AM

Problem short version: My connection will drop when I download using bit torrent.

Problem long version: I was able to setup the wireless connection and am able to surf the web and play online games. I am also able to view the router as a UPnP device in My Network Places. The problem is when I start my bit torrent client (Azureus, regular not vuze. It did update to version 3), it was able to download at a regular speed for about 5 mins then my connection would drop (The download speed would drop to < 1kb); I won't be able to surf the web or play online games. I am also unable to view the router using My network Places nor by manually typing the URL. It's like I don't have a connection anymore. To get my connetion back I would need to restart the PC plugged to the wireless adapter and the router, restarting only 1 of them won't work. The weird thing is that the PC connected via LAN cable to the router can download via bit torrent before and after the one connected via wireless got dropped.

My Setup: I got a linksys WRT54G router connected via LAN cable to a nearby PC and a Netgear wireless adapter (WG111v3) connected to another computer, they are seperated by a closed door and approx 5 meters away from each other.

Steps I did:

1.) I tried to reinstall the wireless adapter.
2.) I tried to reinstall the router. Rerun the setup and configuration disk.
3.) I tried reinstalling both wireless adapter and router before using the torrent client.
4.) I tried working on the NAT problem being reported by the torrent client. I tried the steps outlined in portforwarding.com. This results into:
1.) My net stops working altogether.
2.) After a few more changes, my net got back but the torrent problem is still there.
Note: There is no NAT problem in there first 5 mins or so. It will report a good connection for those first 5 mins then report a NAT error.
5.) I tried letting windows manage the wireless adapter instead of netgear's software. No change, same problem.

Notes:
1.)As long as I do not use the torrent, my connection will not drop. I can play games or surf the net for hours. Even keep the connection idle for hours and come back and I can still surf.
2.) My signal strength is usually at good (3 bars).

My friend is thinking that the problem is because I used a netgear adapter on a linksys router and I should have used linksys for both. I want to try toms first before I go out and buy myself a linksys adapter.

Can anyone help me on this.
March 19, 2008 5:39:26 AM

Quick update.

I tried moving the PC connected via cable to the room and tried the netgear adapter. It worked fine this way.

I tried changing my torrent client to utorrent and the problem still persists. My router version is 7.0.0.1. Not sure if this is a local version since I only read version 5 for most.

I'll double check the number of outbound connections since it was mentioned in the torrent's router faq. If that did nto work I'll try to upgrade the firmware to 7.0.0.4 since it did mention about P2P in the release note.

If anyone has any suggestions or have this happened to them, please post and share how you fix this.

Thanks.
June 16, 2009 12:46:13 AM

Hi did u ever find a solution to your problem? i have the same . I figure it is because my wireless adaptor model is differant from my router and modem model???? works fine when i use a cable but drops for the wireless.......
Related resources
July 23, 2009 7:18:48 AM

I was having the same problem, I downloaded utorrent and ran it simultaneously with bit torrent and reduced active torrents to one, now my connection is healthy and multitasking,

I also created a static IP and forwarded both programs to the same port, bit torrent is showing an error but is dl'ing swell.
July 27, 2009 11:38:22 PM

check out the help section on vuse. The cable company is throttling you down due to traffic. Go to intermediate level and encrypt you file transfer. This will usually hide the transfer from your provider and boost speed back to normal but will slow your cpu a little.

Again Vuse ->tools->options->connection->transport encryption

check box- required encryption.....

now files are encrypted and hard to detect as peer to peer.

remember that RCA requires another host to have the same. lot less peers and seeders.
August 1, 2009 7:56:30 PM

goldenpipewrench said:
check out the help section on vuse. The cable company is throttling you down due to traffic. Go to intermediate level and encrypt you file transfer. This will usually hide the transfer from your provider and boost speed back to normal but will slow your cpu a little.

Again Vuse ->tools->options->connection->transport encryption

check box- required encryption.....

now files are encrypted and hard to detect as peer to peer.

remember that RCA requires another host to have the same. lot less peers and seeders.

Obviously not the problem. If that were true, the torrent would'nt work on a wired or wireless connection.
October 23, 2009 2:42:39 AM

I know this thread is cold, but it came up No. 1 in Google's search on the topic.

I will explain how I resolved this issue.

There is a lot of airyfairy hand waving when it comes to wireless connection problems, so I won't give that here.

You will start - Under network connections in Device manager. Find wireless adapter for your (in this case notebook), and click on advanced settings.

I assume you are using default settings for your router on 192... you know the drill.

Step 1. (This eradicated torrents from dropping my Belkin wireless g connection) If you are using a 11.g connection, go to the device manager under your network connections, and enable only the 11.g connection.

Step 2. (This enabled even less dropouts on my system) "Disable power saving for this device".

I bet this fixes at least 3/4 the issues especially where Belkin g routers are concerned.

Cheers, Blasto. :pt1cable: 
October 23, 2009 9:30:22 AM

Here's another issue that I think needs addressing: If you're downloading torrents in the UK through an ISP like BT, expect your connection to drop to zero and then die. It looks like BT are blocking the associated Ports now...
January 22, 2010 3:38:41 AM

:cry:  hello,
I want to address the issue again as none of the mentioned suggestions even address the issue that I was searching for.
I recently, today in fact, installed a wireless router for my home network. I am plugged into the router directly using an ethernet card, and the other computer in my house is utilizing the wireless encrypted network.
I have been using vuse (torrent client) without issues until i installed the router. Now all of my connections are displaying as having "an okay tracker, but remote connection problems due to a possible NAT issue". All of my connections which were once running at high speeds and constantly finding seeds and/or peers are now having issues.
After reading up on NAPT, NAT and Cone NAT, I have no idea what I am doing. I tried creating an exception for the TCP and UDP port used by VUSE in my firewall, but have had no success.
I know this is a very old blog but as mentioned before this is the 1st one that pops up when i searched my problem. If anyone knows a way to fix this "NAT" issue which is Network Address Translators I have no idea what to do and really want my downloads to pick up. Please help.
November 26, 2010 11:42:05 AM

I have the same exact issue; my internet surfing speed drops out and I can barely browse and other pcs can barely play online using the same home network, although connecting via cable..
I have vista on my machine, torrent client: uTorrent 1.8.5, LinkSys wifi Adapter.

However, my speed comes back again a few minutes after I quit the torrent client..

One addition, my torrent download speed is steady, I can go up to 400kbps on a 4mbps connection but only surfing becomes impossible for me on the same device and for others using the same network.

Note: connection speed drops out even if my download speed is limited to ~ 5kbps; something in the torrent client is sucking all the bandwidth..

No solution yet!
July 9, 2011 1:51:09 PM

I had the same problem, works fine wired, but wireless drops down.
Encripting traffic in both vuze and Utorrent helped. Strange but true! :o 
December 29, 2011 8:36:05 AM

gr3a said:
I have the same exact issue; my internet surfing speed drops out and I can barely browse and other pcs can barely play online using the same home network, although connecting via cable..
I have vista on my machine, torrent client: uTorrent 1.8.5, LinkSys wifi Adapter.

However, my speed comes back again a few minutes after I quit the torrent client..

One addition, my torrent download speed is steady, I can go up to 400kbps on a 4mbps connection but only surfing becomes impossible for me on the same device and for others using the same network.

Note: connection speed drops out even if my download speed is limited to ~ 5kbps; something in the torrent client is sucking all the bandwidth..

No solution yet!

This is exactly my problem, has anyone found a solution yet??
January 27, 2012 9:24:09 PM

Try getting a better client, like Tixati. Tixati can be found at www.tixati.com and is a way better client than vuse, utorrent, azureus, or any other.
February 11, 2012 12:42:48 PM

I'm here to drop some experience on you. Cheaper/Older Wi-fi adapters can't handle multiple simultaneus connections.

FIX: I'm using Vuze but the principal is the same for other BT clients
1. open your options (ctrl+,)
2. go to Transfer (ensure advance mode is on)
3. change "max connections globally" to something like 250
4. test with a 2000 seed torrent (whatever you find, it's just a test)
5. if it drops connection again, lower step 3 by 25-50
6. keep lowering the numer until connection doesn't drop (more connections help speed)
7. enjoy

the reason enryption helps is that it connects to fewer seeds (just encrypted ones) which gives you a false sense of success, if you find lots of encrypted seeds and connect then it's back to square one, so lower max connections and ignore the encryption to get the best speeds possible with your adapter.

Hope this helps you guys!
February 13, 2012 11:57:50 AM

have any of the above posters who are having the problem contacted there ISP as some are now killing torrents and heavy files transfers.
As the popular and incorrect view is that if you use bittorrent you are using it legally. ISP use a sledge hammer to crack the nut, as they see its as risk management stop all torrents and then they are less likely to get sued for copy write infringement.
Even if all torrents were now of legal material the mere threat of a legal battle is enough to stop your legitimate use.
Personnaly i think that the 'mere threat' is bullying and is a serious infringement to my human right to free speech and an open a free dialogue between two parties and liberties as a citizen.
Anon 4tw more hackt-vism.
!