Best Paid OR Free Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostbridges

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
This weekend I'm building my first PC. That means that I need an antivirus (obviously). I am not against paying for antivirus/protection software (within reason, under $75 or so) if it's good.

I'm looking for something that works well, minimal footprint (although I'll wait a little longer for something to load if it means I don't end up with a virus).

Free is great and all, but I really don't mind paying if there's something out there. Right now I'm leaning towards Norton Security Suite (I think that's what it's called, the antivirus+ software) because of the favorable reviews. What do you all think?

Thanks!

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Honestly, for me, I don't care for Norton. Seems to usually be too much on system resources, and a some techs I've talked to complain that Norton seems to get broken as well. I also am not a big fan of Mcafee for the same reasons.

Personally what I used to recommend is AVG, seems stable and does it's job, but lately I've been using/recommending Avast Antivirus. Both free. Also, in conjuction with that, the other free program I use is PC tools Firewall Plus. Again, free program. But both of those programs give real time scanning, then the firewall gives you a little more protection I think than the standard Windows firewall, because you have to teach it, and it will alert you typically when things are trying to run on your pc.

Microsoft Security Essentials. Hmm. Maybe. But how much do you trust Microsoft's failed antivirus that they couldn't sell so they started giving it away? I guess that's my only thing there.

verbalizer

Distinguished

Free would be Comodo and Avast, one and two in that order.
I do like the feature in Avast that lets you do a boot-scan before Windows loads.
Not saying that Comodo doesn't do that, I just don't know.
I have used the Avast before and would have went with Avast again,
but after trying this Comodo Internet Security with it's networking features leaves me feeling secure about my rig.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Avira or Avast, both have free versions but I'd go with the medium package for both, the Premium one has too much heuristics and a crappy firewall. Get the middle Avira with PC Tools for a firewall. Avira is like $26 and PC Tools is free. Although Avira's free version is not too bad either. freeav.com has all versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.