DVI / D-SUB 15 pin

not_this_punk

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Hello.

I recently purchased an LG L1953S (19") but I haven't taken into account its connectivity. it doesn't support dvi, it has only a d-sub connector.

so i was wondering, is there any qualitative difference between d-sub 15 pin and dvi? my monitor supposedly has 5 ms response time, 300cd/m2 and 2000:1 contrast, so i guess it`s pretty good. but am i loosing picture quality because of the d-sub connection? would it make sense exchanging my monitor for another one with the same price and with dvi, but lower performances (dvi monitors seem to be more expensive, even if it doesn't make sense)?

I'm pretty new to lcd monitors and i was kind of surprised that it`s pretty hard watching a movie because the brightness of the display differs with the viewing angle (on a vertical axis, i mean). if i lay in my bed (so that my eyes are below the monitor`s height) movies are pretty dark. if i look from an upper height, everything is too bright. so, again, my question is, could the dvi connection solve this problem? is this a common lcd problem or does my display has some issues? oh, and black isn't quite black if you know what i mean...it`s a little grayed out. again, i repeat the questions above. is this the d-sub connector`s fault? is this a common lcd problem?

hey thanks for the patience to read this and i`m looking forward to your input.

blaine

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2004
The quality is virtually the same, unnoticable. But if you had a HDMI connectivity monitor, you would loose out on quality. So no its perfectly fine.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Hello.

I recently purchased an LG L1953S (19") but I haven't taken into account its connectivity. it doesn't support dvi, it has only a d-sub connector.

so i was wondering, is there any qualitative difference between d-sub 15 pin and dvi? my monitor supposedly has 5 ms response time, 300cd/m2 and 2000:1 contrast, so i guess it`s pretty good. but am i loosing picture quality because of the d-sub connection? would it make sense exchanging my monitor for another one with the same price and with dvi, but lower performances (dvi monitors seem to be more expensive, even if it doesn't make sense)?

DVI has less noise ... the colors are a little more accurate(on an LCD) but unless you work alot with photoshop you shouldn't notice a difference.
Some LCDs have issues with DSUB like fuzzy text, image coherence ...
DVI is the way to go if you have both options. Since you don't it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty new to lcd monitors and i was kind of surprised that it`s pretty hard watching a movie because the brightness of the display differs with the viewing angle (on a vertical axis, i mean). if i lay in my bed (so that my eyes are below the monitor`s height) movies are pretty dark. if i look from an upper height, everything is too bright. so, again, my question is, could the dvi connection solve this problem? is this a common lcd problem or does my display has some issues? oh, and black isn't quite black if you know what i mean...it`s a little grayed out. again, i repeat the questions above. is this the d-sub connector`s fault? is this a common lcd problem?

hey thanks for the patience to read this and i`m looking forward to your input.

The problems you describe here are typcal for LCDs.
The viewing angles are probably around 160 horizontal and vertical in your case (but in most cases they are overstated by marketing).
The black color issue is pretty much the LCD trademark drawback.