Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DLP vs. LCD projection TVs

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
January 27, 2005 12:56:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hey gang,
Sorry if this has been talked to death but I am new and want to buy a big tv
for my basement. I have heard good things about Panasonic and Samsung DLP
tvs and was wondering if one would be better than the other or if LCD
projection is the way to go.
I have also heard to wait until the new models in the spring as they will be
better and cheaper, using silicon chips(?) and open cable(??).
Any advice wouldd be appreciated.
Thanks
Take Care
TEC

More about : dlp lcd projection tvs

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:56:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

In article <LYGdnTNbsIbjxWXcRVn-rw@rogers.com>,
"Tecumseh" <tecumsehcanada@rogers.com> wrote:

> I have heard good things about Panasonic and Samsung DLP tvs and was
> wondering if one would be better than the other or if LCD projection
> is the way to go.

I got a Sammy 5685 a week ago; we chose it over a Sony 55" LDC because
the picture looked sharper to us. However, the Sony looked sharper than
a Samsung 5663, and about the same as the Samsung 5674. The 5663 (which
I think has been discontinued, but I may be wrong about that) uses a 3rd
generation DLP chip, and the 5685 used a 4th generation. The 5674 also
uses a 3rd generation chip, but has a six-segment color wheel; the 5885
has a seven-segment wheel.

> I have also heard to wait until the new models in the spring as they
> will be better and cheaper, using silicon chips(?) and open
> cable(??).

Like with computers, the next better thing is always just a few months
away. If you wait until Spring, then there will be news about better
systems coming in the Fall.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:08:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Tecumseh wrote:
> Hey gang,
> Sorry if this has been talked to death but I am new and want to buy a big tv
> for my basement. I have heard good things about Panasonic and Samsung DLP
> tvs and was wondering if one would be better than the other or if LCD
> projection is the way to go.
> I have also heard to wait until the new models in the spring as they will be
> better and cheaper, using silicon chips(?) and open cable(??).
> Any advice wouldd be appreciated.

It's always a good idea to start with Google and search out the relevant
posts from the past on your particular topic. You're right - this HAS
been talked to death. Google is your friend.

If you wait, you will always find sets that are better and cheaper.
That's universally true at all times.

LCD and DLP rear projection technologies can both produce very pleasing
images. Both have flaws - neither is perfect. Both are getting better
with each new generation.

If it were me, I'd wait until the new 1080p DLP sets come along this
spring and summer. That's probably the last big jump in resolution that
we're going to see any time soon, and since it's only a few months away
you might as well wait for it.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:27:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Tecumseh wrote:
> Hey gang,
> Sorry if this has been talked to death but I am new and want to buy a
big tv
> for my basement. I have heard good things about Panasonic and
Samsung DLP
> tvs and was wondering if one would be better than the other or if
LCD
> projection is the way to go.
> I have also heard to wait until the new models in the spring as they
will be
> better and cheaper, using silicon chips(?) and open cable(??).
> Any advice wouldd be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Take Care
> TEC

Don't believe general declarations from anyone that one technology is
'better' than the other and don't believe the hype (i.e., 'buy DLP with
a pure digital picture that never burns in or fades'). Be aware of
flaws in each of the technologies and what you and your family can best
live with. For example, right now in the AVS forum there is an active
discussion on rainbows with DLPs. If you see them regularly, you won't
want to purchase one. Other people get headaches (me, for example).
With LCDs people complain about 'screen doors' or murky, discolored
blacks obscuring detail. CRTs don't do well in bright light and if you
don't pay proper attention to them, you can burn the phosphors
unevenly. Best advice is to get a nice return policy. It is not
unheard of to return a HDTV three or four times until you get one that
works or one where the technology fits your watching preferences.
Unfortunately all of these technologies have problems and things often
boil down to living with the lesser of evils.
January 27, 2005 11:59:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
news:41f8e657$0$57905$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
> Tecumseh wrote:
>> Hey gang,
>> Sorry if this has been talked to death but I am new and want to buy a big
>> tv
>> for my basement. I have heard good things about Panasonic and Samsung
>> DLP
>> tvs and was wondering if one would be better than the other or if LCD
>> projection is the way to go.
>> I have also heard to wait until the new models in the spring as they will
>> be
>> better and cheaper, using silicon chips(?) and open cable(??).
>> Any advice wouldd be appreciated.
>
> It's always a good idea to start with Google and search out the relevant
> posts from the past on your particular topic. You're right - this HAS
> been talked to death. Google is your friend.
>
> If you wait, you will always find sets that are better and cheaper. That's
> universally true at all times.
>
> LCD and DLP rear projection technologies can both produce very pleasing
> images. Both have flaws - neither is perfect. Both are getting better
> with each new generation.
>
> If it were me, I'd wait until the new 1080p DLP sets come along this
> spring and summer. That's probably the last big jump in resolution that
> we're going to see any time soon, and since it's only a few months away
> you might as well wait for it.

Come on. He wants that new Sony 4X 1080p resolution projector and you know
it.

Richard.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:17:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I bought a Samsung 5674 and the picture quality is outstanding. I waited
since May of last year to buy "next year's" model. I'm glad I did and now
that I'm just enjoying the TV, I don't really care what is coming out next
year. Its a relief when you finally just pick one and enjoy it. So, my
suggestion is go to the stores, see what's available, find a picture you
like and a budget you can live with and enjoy your new TV.
The perfect TV is the one you don't watch!



"burwil" <burwil@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1106843260.862660.214070@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> Tecumseh wrote:
>> Hey gang,
>> Sorry if this has been talked to death but I am new and want to buy a
> big tv
>> for my basement. I have heard good things about Panasonic and
> Samsung DLP
>> tvs and was wondering if one would be better than the other or if
> LCD
>> projection is the way to go.
>> I have also heard to wait until the new models in the spring as they
> will be
>> better and cheaper, using silicon chips(?) and open cable(??).
>> Any advice wouldd be appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Take Care
>> TEC
>
> Don't believe general declarations from anyone that one technology is
> 'better' than the other and don't believe the hype (i.e., 'buy DLP with
> a pure digital picture that never burns in or fades'). Be aware of
> flaws in each of the technologies and what you and your family can best
> live with. For example, right now in the AVS forum there is an active
> discussion on rainbows with DLPs. If you see them regularly, you won't
> want to purchase one. Other people get headaches (me, for example).
> With LCDs people complain about 'screen doors' or murky, discolored
> blacks obscuring detail. CRTs don't do well in bright light and if you
> don't pay proper attention to them, you can burn the phosphors
> unevenly. Best advice is to get a nice return policy. It is not
> unheard of to return a HDTV three or four times until you get one that
> works or one where the technology fits your watching preferences.
> Unfortunately all of these technologies have problems and things often
> boil down to living with the lesser of evils.
>
January 27, 2005 10:51:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
news:10vhsugb0ovsfcb@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
> news:41f8e657$0$57905$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
> > Tecumseh wrote:
> >> Hey gang,
> >> Sorry if this has been talked to death but I am new and want to buy a
big
> >> tv
> >> for my basement. I have heard good things about Panasonic and Samsung
> >> DLP
> >> tvs and was wondering if one would be better than the other or if LCD
> >> projection is the way to go.
> >> I have also heard to wait until the new models in the spring as they
will
> >> be
> >> better and cheaper, using silicon chips(?) and open cable(??).
> >> Any advice wouldd be appreciated.
> >
> > It's always a good idea to start with Google and search out the relevant
> > posts from the past on your particular topic. You're right - this HAS
> > been talked to death. Google is your friend.
> >
> > If you wait, you will always find sets that are better and cheaper.
That's
> > universally true at all times.
> >
> > LCD and DLP rear projection technologies can both produce very pleasing
> > images. Both have flaws - neither is perfect. Both are getting better
> > with each new generation.
> >
> > If it were me, I'd wait until the new 1080p DLP sets come along this
> > spring and summer. That's probably the last big jump in resolution that
> > we're going to see any time soon, and since it's only a few months away
> > you might as well wait for it.
>
> Come on. He wants that new Sony 4X 1080p resolution projector and you know
> it.
>
> Richard.
>
>


Uh, I would ensure that the 4x colour wheel included the dark green variant
as well. Geesh, of course it would have to be 4x and as for 1080p, I kind
of like the flicker involved with the i technology as it calms my mental
disorders down extremely well!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:39:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Tecumseh" <tecumsehcanada@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:LYGdnTNbsIbjxWXcRVn-rw@rogers.com...
> Hey gang,
> Sorry if this has been talked to death but I am new and want to buy a big
> tv
> for my basement. I have heard good things about Panasonic and Samsung DLP
> tvs and was wondering if one would be better than the other or if LCD
> projection is the way to go.
> I have also heard to wait until the new models in the spring as they will
> be
> better and cheaper,

Also the models that are no longer current and become "old" will come down
to bargain prices and you might pick one up cheap. I think you'll be happy
with either model. You are mainly interested in good picture. Maybe you
should ask how many have a dlp samsung or panasonic and are disappointed by
their picture on hd content. I have a hlp5063w and when I see the HD
content picture I can only say one thing. I am not worthy of this picture.

using silicon chips(?) and open cable(??).
> Any advice wouldd be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Take Care
> TEC
>
>
February 1, 2005 1:30:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Uh, I would ensure that the 4x colour wheel included the dark green variant
> as well. Geesh, of course it would have to be 4x and as for 1080p, I kind
> of like the flicker involved with the i technology as it calms my mental
> disorders down extremely well!
>
By 4X Sony means 1080p x 4 = 4,320 horizontal lines!!!! [Intended for the
movie theater not the home].

Richard.
!