Will a wireless N router improve range of wireless G notebook?

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I have a wireless G notebook, a desktop with wireless G built in, and a PS3. I'm hoping to move my current G router to another location in the house I'm currently in (very very very old and large plantation home). I has very thick walls and over 100 feet from one side to the other. I'm thinking I need to get a stronger router to improve upon the range of my current one. Will a wireless N router improve the effective range of wireless G components, or will I need to get wireless N adapters for them as well?

Thanks for any help you might have.

G

I think you need N on both ends since N works at 5 GHz and not 2.4 GHz like G. Why don't you get a Range Extender or load DD-WRT firmware (if your router supports it) which allows you to boost the power?

Grumpy

rhb271

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Ok I know this post is like 2 years old but I figured I would throw and answer to help anyone who didnt know... If you have a computer with the wireless g adapter it will work with the wireless N router. you will not get the best speed and such but the signal from the router will help alot with range though.

prv8eye

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

THANK YOU! That info was exactly what I needed!