Sign in with
Your question

Will a wireless N router improve range of wireless G notebook?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 19, 2008 1:16:31 PM

I have a wireless G notebook, a desktop with wireless G built in, and a PS3. I'm hoping to move my current G router to another location in the house I'm currently in (very very very old and large plantation home). I has very thick walls and over 100 feet from one side to the other. I'm thinking I need to get a stronger router to improve upon the range of my current one. Will a wireless N router improve the effective range of wireless G components, or will I need to get wireless N adapters for them as well?

Thanks for any help you might have.
March 19, 2008 1:17:11 PM

Oh, and I was thinking about getting the DIR-655, unless something else would suit my needs better.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 19, 2008 9:00:04 PM

I think you need N on both ends since N works at 5 GHz and not 2.4 GHz like G. Why don't you get a Range Extender or load DD-WRT firmware (if your router supports it) which allows you to boost the power?

Grumpy
Related resources
March 20, 2008 2:20:00 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you may be able to pick up another router and simply use it for an access point which should extend your range also.
September 17, 2010 5:23:52 PM

Ok I know this post is like 2 years old but I figured I would throw and answer to help anyone who didnt know... If you have a computer with the wireless g adapter it will work with the wireless N router. you will not get the best speed and such but the signal from the router will help alot with range though.
December 26, 2010 4:24:14 PM

rhb271 said:
Ok I know this post is like 2 years old but I figured I would throw and answer to help anyone who didnt know... If you have a computer with the wireless g adapter it will work with the wireless N router. you will not get the best speed and such but the signal from the router will help alot with range though.

THANK YOU! That info was exactly what I needed!
!