temporary log on

Is there a way to set up a temporary log on to my computer. I now don't have
a password as my husband and I are the only ones using it - so we never set
up a password or separate accounts.

We are expecting houseguests and I would like to be sure they aren't able to
use my computer when I'm not at home or don't know they are using it. So -
can I password protect access temporarily - and then go back to not having a
password once they leave - or once it is set up, does it have to remain that
way?

Thanks!

TN

You need to setup a password for your existing accounts,
otherwise anyone with access to your PC can use your account.

Description of the Guest account in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300489

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"TNorth" wrote:

| Is there a way to set up a temporary log on to my computer. I now don't have
| a password as my husband and I are the only ones using it - so we never set
| up a password or separate accounts.
|
| We are expecting houseguests and I would like to be sure they aren't able to
| use my computer when I'm not at home or don't know they are using it. So -
| can I password protect access temporarily - and then go back to not having a
| password once they leave - or once it is set up, does it have to remain that
| way?
|
| Thanks!
|
| TN

Hi,

You can set a password and remove a password by going to Control
Panel - User Accounts.
Click on the account in question. You will also want to set a password
for the hidden account called "Administrator". This account can be
accessed by rebooting the system and taping the F8 key as the system
BIOS info passes by. At the next menu select Safe Mode.
This should have taken you to the Welcome screen with "Administrator"
present. Enter this account and create a password for it.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

TNorth wrote:
> Is there a way to set up a temporary log on to my
> computer. I now don't have a password as my husband and I
> are the only ones using it - so we never set up a
> password or separate accounts.
>
> We are expecting houseguests and I would like to be sure
> they aren't able to use my computer when I'm not at home
> or don't know they are using it. So - can I password
> protect access temporarily - and then go back to not
> having a password once they leave - or once it is set up,
> does it have to remain that way?
>
> Thanks!
>
> TN

Thanks for the information.

I am mainly looking for a way to temporarily password protect the computer
and then reverse that procedure when I no longer need the password
protection. This sounds like the way to do it - but once the password is set
up - can I be sure I can turn it back off again?

Thanks

TN

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You can set a password and remove a password by going to Control
> Panel - User Accounts.
> Click on the account in question. You will also want to set a password
> for the hidden account called "Administrator". This account can be
> accessed by rebooting the system and taping the F8 key as the system
> BIOS info passes by. At the next menu select Safe Mode.
> This should have taken you to the Welcome screen with "Administrator"
> present. Enter this account and create a password for it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> TNorth wrote:
> > Is there a way to set up a temporary log on to my
> > computer. I now don't have a password as my husband and I
> > are the only ones using it - so we never set up a
> > password or separate accounts.
> >
> > We are expecting houseguests and I would like to be sure
> > they aren't able to use my computer when I'm not at home
> > or don't know they are using it. So - can I password
> > protect access temporarily - and then go back to not
> > having a password once they leave - or once it is set up,
> > does it have to remain that way?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > TN

Yes. Reverse the process.

--

TNorth wrote:
> Thanks for the information.
>
> I am mainly looking for a way to temporarily password
> protect the computer and then reverse that procedure when
> I no longer need the password protection. This sounds
> like the way to do it - but once the password is set up -
> can I be sure I can turn it back off again?
>
> Thanks
>
> TN
>
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can set a password and remove a password by going to
>> Control Panel - User Accounts.
>> Click on the account in question. You will also want to
>> set a password for the hidden account called
>> "Administrator". This account can be accessed by
>> rebooting the system and taping the F8 key as the system
>> BIOS info passes by. At the next menu select Safe Mode.
>> This should have taken you to the Welcome screen with
>> "Administrator" present. Enter this account and create a
>> password for it.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> TNorth wrote:
>>> Is there a way to set up a temporary log on to my
>>> computer. I now don't have a password as my husband and
>>> I are the only ones using it - so we never set up a
>>> password or separate accounts.
>>>
>>> We are expecting houseguests and I would like to be sure
>>> they aren't able to use my computer when I'm not at home
>>> or don't know they are using it. So - can I password
>>> protect access temporarily - and then go back to not
>>> having a password once they leave - or once it is set
>>> up, does it have to remain that way?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> TN

Thanks!!

> Yes. Reverse the process.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> TNorth wrote:
> > Thanks for the information.
> >
> > I am mainly looking for a way to temporarily password
> > protect the computer and then reverse that procedure when
> > I no longer need the password protection. This sounds
> > like the way to do it - but once the password is set up -
> > can I be sure I can turn it back off again?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > TN
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> You can set a password and remove a password by going to
> >> Control Panel - User Accounts.
> >> Click on the account in question. You will also want to
> >> set a password for the hidden account called
> >> "Administrator". This account can be accessed by
> >> rebooting the system and taping the F8 key as the system
> >> BIOS info passes by. At the next menu select Safe Mode.
> >> This should have taken you to the Welcome screen with
> >> "Administrator" present. Enter this account and create a
> >> password for it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://dts-l.org/

You're welcome.

--

TNorth wrote:
> Thanks!!
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Yes. Reverse the process.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> TNorth wrote:
>>> Thanks for the information.
>>>
>>> I am mainly looking for a way to temporarily password
>>> protect the computer and then reverse that procedure
>>> when I no longer need the password protection. This
>>> sounds like the way to do it - but once the password is
>>> set up - can I be sure I can turn it back off again?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> TN
>>>
>>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS