Best Motherboard

I am looking to build a new computer and I am looking for the best mobo out there. I have been looking at the ASUS Striker Extreme and was just looking for others suggestions.

I am not a gamer so that does not matter. I do like performance though.

I am mostly using this for storage. So the striker is nice with the 6 on board SATA and 2 ESATA ports plus the standard ATA.

I also noticed that they had a board that could be controlled by remote to run a one button app or whatnot. This would come in very handy considering it is going to be using as a media PC alot. I have all my DVD's and CD's on my network so being able to hit a button instead of going and clicking a bunch of times to load a movie or play-list is a plus to have.

Please let me know all of your thoughts.

Also please do not be biased as a AMD fanboy or whatnot. I personally do not care for AMD but if I can get a nice machine using it then I will. Money for the board is not a issue so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!! :)
41 answers Last reply
More about best motherboard
  1. I love my P5K-Deluxe.

It's super stable. It's easy to overclock if you want. The new ICH9R SB is great for raid. I have 6 internal sata and 2 Esata. 2 ethernet ports, 6 usb, and 1 fire wire. It also has built in wifi and is ready to rock with the Penryn's!

2. I like my P5N32-E SLI, pretty much the same board as the Sriker minus the esata but you could just add a $30 pci card and still save $100 off the Striker.
  3. Thanks for the info. I like that P5K3 Deluxe board. Even better then the striker. The DDR3 support is great considering im not going to complete the build for a few months due to money for the right equipment. :lol:

How is the support on it? I read a few things on the web about BIOS issues with the Striker Extreme. Talked about lock up issues and such.
  4. The P5K suuport should be excellent. The chipset just came out and is already better then almnost any other Core 2 Duo solution.

The Striker use nVidia 680 chipset, ther's a expected refresh before xMas for that chipset.

The P5K has DDR2 support while the P5K3 has DDR3 support. Because of the price, I dont recommand DDR3 before another 6 month+.
  5. Ok, I just purchased the P5K3 Deluxe off Newegg for 260 shipped. It seems to be the best out of the bunch. I went with the DDR3 board because this computer will nto be complete for a while and the price of the memory by then will be way down and very affordable when I am going to buy it. I need to get a PSU and a CPU first.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for the PSU? I have no idea when it comes to PSU's. I like ANTEC becuase of the silence but that may be pricey and also I dont know how much power I will need. I will be running a decent graphics card and probably 8 hard drives.
  6. You would need to be more specific about your system but with 8 HDD a high performance motherboard, graphics, and RAM I would go with about 600w and about 50amps. Read this I could be a little off with the numbers but I like to err on the side of too much rather than not enough power. Something like the PC Power & Cooling 610w at 49amps would be a great choice for about $150.
  7. The system willhave 8 or 9 drives. 8 sata and 1 pata. 4 gigs of ram and a quad core q6600 i think it is. With a Vid card around 200 bucks may be x2. I am not really sure if I want to add the video because it will only be for DVD playback. That is about all besides a Blu-Ray drive.
  8. Just to be safe you might want to go with the silencer 750 but I don't think you would need that much power. What ever you get just make sure it's quality you don't want to put your expensive components at the risk of failure from a bargain basement PSU.
  9. Silencer?? Who makes that? Sorry but like I said I have no idea about PSU's. I have always used standard Antec cases.
  10. Antec TruePower TRIO 650 650W

My only complaint is that everyone I have looked at so far only has power for 4 SATA ports??? Is there one that has 6?

What do you think of this?

* 650W
    * ATX12V version 2.2
    * Universal Input, automatically adjusts for 100V to 240V power grids
    * Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) for environmentally friendlier power
    * Three 12V output circuits provide added system stability
    * Accurate power rating allows TruePower Trio to deliver its full rated power, 24 hours a day rated at 50ºC
    * Up to 85% efficiency
    * 120mm low noise cooling fan
    * Fan Only power connectors allow TruePower Trio to control case fan speeds, reducing total system noise
    * Dedicated outputs for stable output and less ripple noise
    * Feedback loop circuits for tighter load regulation (±3%) to maintain accurate voltage to all components
    * Heavy duty protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from short circuits (SCP), power overloads (OPP), over voltages (OVP), and under voltages (UVP)
    * 4 SATA connectors for Serial ATA drives
    * Two PCI-E connectors for PCI-Express video cards on 550W and 650W models, one connector on 430W model
    * MTBF: 80,000 hours at 50°C
    * Safety approvals: UL, CUL, FCC, TÜV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB
    * Power Factor value up to 99%
    * Gold plated connectors for superior conductivity
    * AQ3 – Antec Quality three-year parts and labor warranty
  11. Also what about this one? I have heard good things about these Ultra's. Plus I like the ability to put in the power plugs of only what I am going to use..
  12. This is probably a stupid question but i read that this board has 2 gig's of intergrated memory. So can this system be run off this ram or do I still need to buy some to run the system???
  13. Quote:
    This is probably a stupid question but i read that this board has 2 gig's of intergrated memory. So can this system be run off this ram or do I still need to buy some to run the system???

Wherever you heard that it's incorrect I am sorry to say.
  14. If you not a gamer/overclocker then it does not really matter.

If you were then DFI has been the leader for top speed for a long time...in fact it set the highest Intel Core Duo record when the CPU's around Xmas 2006.
  15. Well I am familiar with intel board. I got the cheaper Asus p5b plus, p985. If I did it again I would get the one with the most features like the wifi built in or wait for bearlake, and placement of device. The Asus P5b express pci is too close to the regular pci slots. The 8800gts took out a neigboring 1 pci slot and on the edge of another, so I gone from 3 to 1.5 like that. Look closely at the spacing of devices to see if it interfer with one another. They say p985 is better for raid, but I doubt anybody will notice in real world. 680i board seem to have more features, so I might go with that.
  16. Quote:
    Well I am familiar with intel board. I got the cheaper Asus p5b plus, p985. If I did it again I would get the one with the most features like the wifi built in or wait for bearlake, and placement of device. The Asus P5b express pci is too close to the regular pci slots. The 8800gts took out a neigboring 1 pci slot and on the edge of another, so I gone from 3 to 1.5 like that. Look closely at the spacing of devices to see if it interfer with one another. They say p985 is better for raid, but I doubt anybody will notice in real world. 680i board seem to have more features, so I might go with that.

I'm pretty sure you mean the P965 chipset.

Thus far I have owned 3 680i boards:

Evga 680i AR
    Evga 680i A1
    Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i

And this is my first P35 board.

THe 680i boards are where it's at if you want unlinked memory dividers and SLI. Otherwise my vote goes for the P35 as of right now.
  17. Looks like Asus is in the mood to try out new things. The P5K3 Deluxe comes with 2 GB of integrated DDR3 memory (by Quimonda/Infineon), which runs DDR3-1600 speed. According to Asus, the integration of memory onto the motherboard allows the memory controller to run tighter timings and much higher clock speeds. As we discussed the technology, Asus even claimed to reach DDR3-2000 easier than conventional solutions. Corsair has showcased its DDR3 Dominator RAM at DDR3-2000 speed as well - and we can say it's a running prototype and not a static demonstration - but it will still be several months until you can buy such a product at retail.

This is from Toms-hardware article on Computex 07
  18. Quote:

Yikes man! Mobo on your carpet? Hasn't your mother taught you about static electricity?
    I wear a friggin' grounded wrist band when I'm workin with those things, but you gotta at least NOT put it on the carpet, lol.

Mikey I don't understand why you're buying everything at different times. All prices will go down so if your system won't be complete for a while then wait it out and buy everything at once. Unless you got some incredible deal it really pays to just wait.
  19. Quote:
    Mikey I don't understand why you're buying everything at different times. All prices will go down so if your system won't be complete for a while then wait it out and buy everything at once. Unless you got some incredible deal it really pays to just wait.

And i was starting to think that i´m insane. Everytime i read about someone buying a mainboard and then waiting two months for the video card and then another 3 weeks for the PSU and so on, i keep thinking i´m surrounded with freaks that lost all common sense.
  20. Quote:

Yikes man! Mobo on your carpet? Hasn't your mother taught you about static electricity?
    I wear a friggin' grounded wrist band when I'm workin with those things, but you gotta at least NOT put it on the carpet, lol.

I would tend to agree with you but if you look closely at the first picture, it doesn't stand on carpet, it rests on a piece of cardboard.
  21. might wanna wait till DDR3 becomes widely available.. if not, i'll recommend the asus DH deluxe(975X). It's stable and a great overclocker. :lol:
  22. Quote:

And i was starting to think that i´m insane. Everytime i read about someone buying a mainboard and then waiting two months for the video card and then another 3 weeks for the PSU and so on, i keep thinking i´m surrounded with freaks that lost all common sense.

Well Mr. judge others. I am only waiting on the memory because it is so high. The video card I am waiting to upgrade to something good if I need to but I probably will not need to.

Also is it easier to come up with 2k right off the bat or buy pieces here and there???? Think a little more before you judge something you know nothing about.
  23. Quote:
    Silencer?? Who makes that?

Silencer 750

The whole thing with waiting is that if you are able to save money and wait until you have enough for the whole system prices will go down and you'll end up spending less. I don't personally have that ability I find that if I have money in my pocket I spend it therefore I bought my system one piece at a time and by the time I was done I would have saved around $100 if I had just bought all at once.
  24. I agree, I do the same thing myself. If I did not spend the $250 on this I would have bought something else in the meantime. I need the instant gratification. :D
  25. Quote:

Well Mr. judge others. I am only waiting on the memory because it is so high. The video card I am waiting to upgrade to something good if I need to but I probably will not need to.

Also is it easier to come up with 2k right off the bat or buy pieces here and there???? Think a little more before you judge something you know nothing about.

OP use your brain. If you are the least sensible in your financial management then you would see why these people are telling you to buy everything at once, last minute. Tech these days change prices on a frequent basis. I understand what you mean by coming up with 2k off the bat but i didn't think you were that immature and senseless. Ram prices aren't gonna drop for a while, not to mention DDR3 is quite immature anyway.

So Mr Naive, would you rather spend more on that mobo now and shed your money slowly, or put your money aside like a smart person and save a couple hundred in gross total of your build.
    Your theory just suggests how immature you are with spending your money. Not to mention, your mobo is going to be redundant without CPU/Ram etc.. nice going. buy a mobo and let it gather dust! woot! There are also plentiful combos to buy which is another reason to buy last minute. Also, buying your rig last minute allows technical maturity to grow as well as chances of new tech to grow. I see absolutely no reason why you gotta get your pieces one by one other than, if you're really struggling to pay your bills month by month. But considering your rig, i dont think you're in that situation.

Take peoples advice. If not, why are you here?
  26. Well MEATBALL!! I am ONLY waiting to buy the ram considering I have just bought the PSU, CPU and Video Card to go along with it. The memory I am waiting to get a good deal on it and sorry that I HAVE a itch of upgrading my computer and I have to ask some of you people that are NOT giving advice just being no it all's how to build my system.

If you looked at my post I was asking what board I should buy NOT HOW TO BUY OR BUILD A SYSTEM!!!

My money situations are not in question but the money that I am budgeting at a certain time to pay for the equipment.
  27. Thank you very much Supreme!! I was actually looking at the new Antec 850w PSU and was looking at SILVERSTONE ST1000 ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply 100 - 240 V RoHS, CE, FCC - Retail

It has a nice Efficiency rate and is rated for 1000w's.

I have never heard of the brand though so I am kinda not sure about buying it.

I am going to be running about 10 HD'S on this system and a Quad core 45nm CPU when they actually come out but for the time being I just bought a E6230. I used Antec's rating calculator adn It comes up to around 961 watts right now. Not sure how much power the newer CPU will take up when installed but a top of the line Quad Core CPU takes up a HUGE chunk more wattage.

I did notice the p190 and it looks bad-ass but 499 is a big price to pay and I really did not budget that much for a PSU considering I already had a case. i may just bite the bullet and grab it though I am not sure.
  28. Quote:

Why not safe until you are going to build and then buy all at once? It works way better. It´s not even an argument, it´s a simple fact.
  29. I understand that I am just waiting on the memory though. I actually just found that Antec P190 for 370 shipped so I just ordered that. Now I only need the Memory to complete it and if I waited I would really only save MAYBE 100 bucks.

I understand what you are saying though. Like I said though I have had this Itch for a while and made a spontanious buy when I seen the DDR3 support adn 45NM CPU support too. I should have actually bought one that supported both DDR2 and DDR3 but I jumped to quickly.
  30. Quote:
    I understand that I am just waiting on the memory though. I actually just found that Antec P190 for 370 shipped so I just ordered that. Now I only need the Memory to complete it and if I waited I would really only save MAYBE 100 bucks.

I understand what you are saying though. Like I said though I have had this Itch for a while and made a spontanious buy when I seen the DDR3 support adn 45NM CPU support too. I should have actually bought one that supported both DDR2 and DDR3 but I jumped to quickly.

There are some components you can almost always buy because their prices are almost static. Cases, fans, cables etc. I do understand your problem - it´s not that i don´t get that "uh... i need something new" itch. If i really have to i try to get me something i know i will need that won´t change it´s price quickly or i just glance over the pricelists. By looking at them i sooner or later always come to the conclusion that i will save money just by waiting.
    The thought of having an almost complete system next to me would drive me insane though. 8O
  31. Quote:

The thought of having an almost complete system next to me would drive me insane though. 8O

I know this is why I have been going nutty and buying stuff so fast. Not buying the DDR is going to drive me batty and I am already wishing I bought the DDR2 supported MOBO.
  32. Thank God I did not end up spending an extra 50 for that POS board.
  33. i just got a BFG NFORCE 680i SLI mobo.
    and i must say its very impressive if you pair it up with a BFG 8800 GTS oc version.
    It has massive gaming performance 190 FPS on Counter strike source 1680/ res full AA x AF every thing n high i was like omg when i see what it can do overlocking is very nice ,
    it has built in surport with n force so u can change ya mobo options in windows with a massive Fsb option to go 2000 Fsb i got it up to 1580 up to now and every thing is fine and stable.
    Its not to exspensive 170 pounds for me so thats 220 dollers every person i seen who got one loves it hope this helps.
  34. Speaking of all this Nvidia and Asus stuff. I'm currently building up a P5N32-E SLI PLUS. Some of you may harp on the fact that it's a 650i chipset but it has a different south bridget that allows it to be just as capable as a 680i with less cost involved. It still runs 16x, 8x, 16x slots just like the 680i.

DDR3 doesn't interest me too much, but maybe in a year and a half it will when it's more popular and the RAM is cheaper. Nvidia's 600 series already supports 45nm 1333 processors. Nvidia will also be launching the 700 series sometime this fall.

The sad part is that no matter what you buy now it'll be worth squat in a year, but that's how it is no matter what. So get what you want, when you want, when you can afford it and don't look around the corner too much.
  35. Personally I have the Asus P5W DH Deluxe. it looks like it will serve me well for the next 2 or so years.

If money is not an object get the Striker, it has finally matured into a great board.

My current motherboard preferences run to Asus. But it takes a while for the boards to stabilize. So I look for what I want as to ports and try to find the most recent board revision and bios that will serve me.

Read the motherboards forums for the boards you are looking at, and if you also look at the news groups for motherboards that will also be of help.

Gigabyte has (in the past) been the best at helping with trouble over the phone. I just do not have a current experience with them and the last board I bought from them was DOA.

But as I said my current favorite is Asus.
  36. yeah the Asus P5W DH Deluxe is a great one too. My 1st experience with Asus kinda blew a big one way back in the 915P days, but I've heard so many good things about the Nvidia chipsets and Asus that I thought I'd give them another try.
  37. I have never had any problems with ASUS and would use them every time I build. I think they are probably the best board out there. I was looking at a gigabyte board though but I do not trust them since I have never used any of them.
  38. They were once one in the same company....or at least they were gonna be or something....I need a drink.

Oooo since you're the only one alive on this forum today what would you pick between the...Coolermaster Geminii, Asus Silent Knight and the Zalman 9700LED. They all perform pretty similar. With the Geminii it's nice cuz it's huge cools the mobos everything and you can change fans for performance or just looks. The Silent Knight is pretty much a knock off of the 9700LED and it's performance is about the same. Of course we all know about the 9700LED. I just can't really decide.
  39. Personally I think I would go with the Zalman or the ASUS. The Zalmans fan looks really nice and the ASUS's fan looks more compact. all and all I may go with the ASUS for the name though. The Cooler Master does look badass though. Might make a bit more noise though figuring what fan you put on it.
  40. Quote:
    They were once one in the same company....or at least they were gonna be or something....I need a drink.

Nice to know. I actually would buy Gigabyte over Chaintech though and I bought a Chaintech socket 478 zenith 9jcs about 7 years ago so I don't know what I'm saying lol.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking