Doom3 vs. games based on the Doom3 engine

Which are you more excited about the game Doom3 or games that will use the
engine?

I don't have much interest in the game but I'm hoping to see a new Jedi
Knight, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein, Voyager EF type game based on the Doom3
engine. Hopefully we'll see some within a year. I think the Jedi Knight
games would really have some great lighting effects in them.
14 answers Last reply
More about doom3 games based doom3 engine

    For some reason, I can't get the standard console to come up as in all the
    previous quake engines.

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:39:28 GMT, "boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >For some reason, I can't get the standard console to come up as in all the
    >previous quake engines.
    >
    >"boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    ctrl+alt+`

    or put set com_allowConsole "1" in your autoexec.cfg file

    you are right, I needed the allowconsole. Boy I have a 9600XT on a 2.8 HT
    and 1 GIG of ram and it still is CHOPPY at 800x600 with no aa!

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:EzdQc.36891
    > No, it won't!!! I'm sorry, but Q3 anything was never as much pure fun
    > as Quakeworld or Q2 CTF.

    amen to that brother ;op

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    Margolis wrote:
    >> No, it won't!!! I'm sorry, but Q3 anything was never as much pure
    >> fun as Quakeworld or Q2 CTF.
    >

    > amen to that brother ;op

    hey, we got some pretty good er... discussions...going in
    alt.games.doom, is that you over there 'supporting' Oscar? Heh!
    Q2 running good, were's a CTF server?!?!?
    McG :)

    > Margolis wrote:
    >
    > hey, we got some pretty good er... discussions...going in
    > alt.games.doom, is that you over there 'supporting' Oscar? Heh!
    > Q2 running good, were's a CTF server?!?!?
    > McG :)

    yup, that's me supporting Oscar ;o) Yesterday was the first time I had been
    in there in years.

    I also haven't played q2 ctf in a long time. All of my favorite servers up
    and died on me ;o(

    --

    > EvilBill wrote:
    >
    > Um, it won't be beaten by Doom3 either....now that I've played a couple
    > hours. Somehow, I just can't see this as a CTF match :o\ Hm, but doom
    > never did either...DM :)
    > McG.

    Actually I had a ctf mod for doom about 10 years ago. It was fun at the
    time because it was different. But with only 4 players it wasn't quite as
    much fun as it could have been.
    --

    Margolis wrote:
    >> EvilBill wrote:
    >>
    >> Um, it won't be beaten by Doom3 either....now that I've played a
    >> couple hours. Somehow, I just can't see this as a CTF match :o\
    >> Hm, but doom never did either...DM :)
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Actually I had a ctf mod for doom about 10 years ago. It was fun at
    > the time because it was different. But with only 4 players it
    > wasn't quite as much fun as it could have been.
    > --
    >
    > Margolis

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2F
    AQ.htm
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    I was on an 8 player server in Doom3 today. It wasn't that bad either
    :) Maybe ???

    --
    McGrandpa [AGQx]

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:HkgSc.12081
    > I was on an 8 player server in Doom3 today. It wasn't that bad either
    > :) Maybe ???
    >
    > --
    > McGrandpa [AGQx]

    just need to get threewave to make a ctf mod for it and we'll be on a roll
    ;o)

    --

    Margolis wrote:
    >> I was on an 8 player server in Doom3 today. It wasn't that bad
    >> either :) Maybe ???
    >>
    >> --
    >> McGrandpa [AGQx]
    >>

    > just need to get threewave to make a ctf mod for it and we'll be on a
    > roll ;o)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Margolis

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2F
    AQ.htm
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    yeah that'd be cool! :)

    I read today at PlanetDoom about an interesting mod in the works:
    QuakeRemix, Where the old games and maps are redone for the Doom3
    engine :) Could you imagine Tokays Towers in Doom3? Or ALL the old
    Quake and Quake2 maps? Sheesh!

    --
    McGrandpa [AGQx]

    > I read today at PlanetDoom about an interesting mod in the works:
    > QuakeRemix, Where the old games and maps are redone for the Doom3
    > engine :) Could you imagine Tokays Towers in Doom3? Or ALL the old
    > Quake and Quake2 maps? Sheesh!

    Unfortunately most maps don't convert very well between games. They usually
    don't play as good and often don't look as good (even if the engine is more
    advanced), or else look totally different. Usually the difference in
    gameplay physics, weapons, etc. change the nature of a good level for that
    particular game enough that a level that was great in another game is now
    only mediocre. There have been a few exceptions, but usually levels play
    best in the game they were originally designed for.

    Matthew Vaughan wrote:

    >> I read today at PlanetDoom about an interesting mod in the works:
    >> QuakeRemix, Where the old games and maps are redone for the Doom3
    >> engine :) Could you imagine Tokays Towers in Doom3? Or ALL the old
    >> Quake and Quake2 maps? Sheesh!
    >
    > Unfortunately most maps don't convert very well between games. They
    > usually don't play as good and often don't look as good (even if the
    > engine is more advanced), or else look totally different. Usually the
    > difference in gameplay physics, weapons, etc. change the nature of a
    > good level for that particular game enough that a level that was
    > great in another game is now only mediocre. There have been a few
    > exceptions, but usually levels play best in the game they were
    > originally designed for.

    Oh I dunno, I think McKinley Base, the original from Q1, would work well
    across all 4. there's only one way to know tho.

    --
    McGrandpa [AGQx]

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:HLFSc.6339>
    > Oh I dunno, I think McKinley Base, the original from Q1, would work well
    > across all 4. there's only one way to know tho.
    >
    > --

    yup, any well designed map will work fine, regardless of what engine is
    used ;op
    --

    > Matthew Vaughan wrote:
    > >
    > > Unfortunately most maps don't convert very well between games. They
    > > usually don't play as good and often don't look as good (even if the
    > > engine is more advanced), or else look totally different. Usually the
    > > difference in gameplay physics, weapons, etc. change the nature of a
    > > good level for that particular game enough that a level that was
    > > great in another game is now only mediocre. There have been a few
    > > exceptions, but usually levels play best in the game they were
    > > originally designed for.
    >
    > Oh I dunno, I think McKinley Base, the original from Q1, would work well
    > across all 4. there's only one way to know tho.

    OK, that's true, though I wasn't thinking of CTF maps. I'd say that those
    maps worked fine for CTF, but weren't terribly good maps in the pure sense
    even in Q1. I was thinking more of the maps that work brilliantly (for
    deathmatch particularly, mainly because I haven't ever really seen any Q1
    CTF maps that I thought were great in this respect), the maps that have
    great flow, perfect proportions and distances to enable jumps, etc. (as well
    as great aesthetics). Other than some of id's own maps, most older maps
    didn't really reach the pinnacle of this art.

Engine Games Video Games