Doom3 vs. games based on the Doom3 engine

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 1, 2004 9:21:17 PM

Which are you more excited about the game Doom3 or games that will use the
engine?

I don't have much interest in the game but I'm hoping to see a new Jedi
Knight, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein, Voyager EF type game based on the Doom3
engine. Hopefully we'll see some within a year. I think the Jedi Knight
games would really have some great lighting effects in them.
August 5, 2004 4:39:28 AM

For some reason, I can't get the standard console to come up as in all the
previous quake engines.

"boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Which are you more excited about the game Doom3 or games that will use the
> engine?
>
> I don't have much interest in the game but I'm hoping to see a new Jedi
> Knight, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein, Voyager EF type game based on the Doom3
> engine. Hopefully we'll see some within a year. I think the Jedi Knight
> games would really have some great lighting effects in them.

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:39:29 AM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:39:28 GMT, "boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote:

>For some reason, I can't get the standard console to come up as in all the
>previous quake engines.
>
>"boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote in message

ctrl+alt+`

or put set com_allowConsole "1" in your autoexec.cfg file
Related resources
August 5, 2004 6:03:45 AM

you are right, I needed the allowconsole. Boy I have a 9600XT on a 2.8 HT
and 1 GIG of ram and it still is CHOPPY at 800x600 with no aa!

"Whirled Peas" <peas@earth.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:39:28 GMT, "boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >For some reason, I can't get the standard console to come up as in all
the
> >previous quake engines.
> >
> >"boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> ctrl+alt+`
>
> or put set com_allowConsole "1" in your autoexec.cfg file

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 9:09:48 PM

Margolis wrote:
>> No, it won't!!! I'm sorry, but Q3 anything was never as much pure
>> fun as Quakeworld or Q2 CTF.
>

> amen to that brother ;op

hey, we got some pretty good er... discussions...going in
alt.games.doom, is that you over there 'supporting' Oscar? Heh!
Q2 running good, were's a CTF server?!?!?
McG :)

> --
>
> Margolis

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
AQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 10:39:43 AM

> Margolis wrote:
>
> hey, we got some pretty good er... discussions...going in
> alt.games.doom, is that you over there 'supporting' Oscar? Heh!
> Q2 running good, were's a CTF server?!?!?
> McG :)

yup, that's me supporting Oscar ;o) Yesterday was the first time I had been
in there in years.

I also haven't played q2 ctf in a long time. All of my favorite servers up
and died on me ;o(

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 10:42:22 AM

> EvilBill wrote:
>
> Um, it won't be beaten by Doom3 either....now that I've played a couple
> hours. Somehow, I just can't see this as a CTF match :o \ Hm, but doom
> never did either...DM :)
> McG.

Actually I had a ctf mod for doom about 10 years ago. It was fun at the
time because it was different. But with only 4 players it wasn't quite as
much fun as it could have been.
--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 7:25:27 AM

Margolis wrote:
>> EvilBill wrote:
>>
>> Um, it won't be beaten by Doom3 either....now that I've played a
>> couple hours. Somehow, I just can't see this as a CTF match :o \
>> Hm, but doom never did either...DM :)
>> McG.
>>

> Actually I had a ctf mod for doom about 10 years ago. It was fun at
> the time because it was different. But with only 4 players it
> wasn't quite as much fun as it could have been.
> --
>
> Margolis

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
AQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

I was on an 8 player server in Doom3 today. It wasn't that bad either
:)  Maybe ???

--
McGrandpa [AGQx]
Anonymous

Margolis wrote:
>> I was on an 8 player server in Doom3 today. It wasn't that bad
>> either :)  Maybe ???
>>
>> --
>> McGrandpa [AGQx]
>>

> just need to get threewave to make a ctf mod for it and we'll be on a
> roll ;o)
>
> --
>
> Margolis

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
AQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

yeah that'd be cool! :)

I read today at PlanetDoom about an interesting mod in the works:
QuakeRemix, Where the old games and maps are redone for the Doom3
engine :)  Could you imagine Tokays Towers in Doom3? Or ALL the old
Quake and Quake2 maps? Sheesh!

--
McGrandpa [AGQx]
Anonymous

> I read today at PlanetDoom about an interesting mod in the works:
> QuakeRemix, Where the old games and maps are redone for the Doom3
> engine :)  Could you imagine Tokays Towers in Doom3? Or ALL the old
> Quake and Quake2 maps? Sheesh!

Unfortunately most maps don't convert very well between games. They usually
don't play as good and often don't look as good (even if the engine is more
advanced), or else look totally different. Usually the difference in
gameplay physics, weapons, etc. change the nature of a good level for that
particular game enough that a level that was great in another game is now
only mediocre. There have been a few exceptions, but usually levels play
best in the game they were originally designed for.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 12:20:55 PM

Matthew Vaughan wrote:

>> I read today at PlanetDoom about an interesting mod in the works:
>> QuakeRemix, Where the old games and maps are redone for the Doom3
>> engine :)  Could you imagine Tokays Towers in Doom3? Or ALL the old
>> Quake and Quake2 maps? Sheesh!
>
> Unfortunately most maps don't convert very well between games. They
> usually don't play as good and often don't look as good (even if the
> engine is more advanced), or else look totally different. Usually the
> difference in gameplay physics, weapons, etc. change the nature of a
> good level for that particular game enough that a level that was
> great in another game is now only mediocre. There have been a few
> exceptions, but usually levels play best in the game they were
> originally designed for.

Oh I dunno, I think McKinley Base, the original from Q1, would work well
across all 4. there's only one way to know tho.

--
McGrandpa [AGQx]
Anonymous

> Matthew Vaughan wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately most maps don't convert very well between games. They
> > usually don't play as good and often don't look as good (even if the
> > engine is more advanced), or else look totally different. Usually the
> > difference in gameplay physics, weapons, etc. change the nature of a
> > good level for that particular game enough that a level that was
> > great in another game is now only mediocre. There have been a few
> > exceptions, but usually levels play best in the game they were
> > originally designed for.
>
> Oh I dunno, I think McKinley Base, the original from Q1, would work well
> across all 4. there's only one way to know tho.

OK, that's true, though I wasn't thinking of CTF maps. I'd say that those
maps worked fine for CTF, but weren't terribly good maps in the pure sense
even in Q1. I was thinking more of the maps that work brilliantly (for
deathmatch particularly, mainly because I haven't ever really seen any Q1
CTF maps that I thought were great in this respect), the maps that have
great flow, perfect proportions and distances to enable jumps, etc. (as well
as great aesthetics). Other than some of id's own maps, most older maps
didn't really reach the pinnacle of this art.
!