swap a laptop cpu into a tower?

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hi all,
I have a ibm netvista 8303 running a socket 478 p4 2.0 /400 fsb ,
can i put a p4 3.06/533 fsb(salavaged from an old dell lap top) also s478 in it to wake up my secondary pc?I cant find the exact specs of my mb on google.

thanx in advance

mpjesse

Splendid
i doubt it. i've done quite a bit of CPU/motherboard replacement w/ laptops and more times than not the OEM locks the BIOS to only accept 1 particular chip.

the shi*tty part is the system will usually POST (which means it works just fine!), but the BIOS will prevent you from going forward.

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
i use ubuntu 7.04 on it now do you think i could flash the bios to work?or leave well enough alone and see if i come across a mb that will use it?

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That a big if. There are laptops that use desktops chips. Like my pro star laptop with a 3.4 L3 2mb cache. But the fact is. Heat and power and a melted laptop not worth the Money.

If you want a high end laptop then save your money and buy one.

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
If the motherboard of the old tower will handle the faster chip, I say go for it. The worst thing that will happen is it will not start, or it may run the cpu at the fastest speed the mobo will handle (for instance I put a P3 866 into a mobo that I found with the same socket but it only showed the CPU at 400 MHz.)
It you are not worried about any possible damage then you have nothing to loose. Also, it would probably would not hurt to flash the BIOS.

mrmez

Splendid
dude... dont waste ur time... really

Ur better off trying to get a free/cheap cpu that will work. Since u canabilasing ur laptop ne way, post up...

"Swap: Laptop for xxx CPU"

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I think it would be worth trying if you have enough time to do it.
Depending on what chipset you have, it may only run at 400fsb even though the CPU is rated at 533 which would result in the CPU running at 2.3GHz.

If the CPU doesn't work for some reason, then just put the old CPU back in.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can toss it in, but it might not come up as 3.06GHz...it might come up as 1.80GHz.

Many "3.06GHz" Pentium 4 laptops used the Desktop chip. So that wouldn't be a problem, everything would work perfectly.

Some used the P4-M (Pentium-4 Mobile). The P4-M had speed stepping controlled by Laptop BIOS. It will automatically drop to the lower multiplier when used in desktops.

Anandtech did this a few year ago with a P4-M to test higher bus speeds on a certain motherboard, the lower multiplier made overclocking the FSB easier.

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
dude... dont waste ur time... really

Ur better off trying to get a free/cheap cpu that will work. Since u canabilasing ur laptop ne way, post up...

"Swap: Laptop for xxx CPU"

im not canabilising a co worker gave ma a lappy that had only a ,processor left after he stripped it(mb and video intact) just to costly to re build

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I think it would be worth trying if you have enough time to do it.
Depending on what chipset you have, it may only run at 400fsb even though the CPU is rated at 533 which would result in the CPU running at 2.3GHz.

If the CPU doesn't work for some reason, then just put the old CPU back in.
i cant seem to find any specs on the ibm mb?and since i run linux i cant run everest (wine dosent like it)

I have one of those P4-Ms you speak of and it'll work in any motherboard that will support a Northwood A. However, a standard 845/855/865/875 chipset doesn't know that the chip has two multiplier settings and will always run the chip at the lowest one, which is 12x, or 1.20 GHz for all Pentium 4-Ms. You'd need a mobile chipset like my laptop's 845MP to access the higher multiplier and use SpeedStep.

OP: The 3.06 chip is NOT a Pentium 4-M and is in fact the desktop Northwood B. (P4-Ms are all 400 FSB and only went up to 2.60 GHz.) It should work if the desktop's motherboard supports Northwood Bs, Cs, or 478 Prescotts. It may not work if the motherboard doesn't support a 533 FSB, not for any physical reason (the chip would just run at 2.30 GHz) but that the BIOS doesn't recognize the CPU and may not boot. But even if the chipset is a 400 FSB only, if you have the CPU, try it. You won't hurt it. The only way that you could hurt that chip would be to try it in a socket 478 Willamette board that runs at a 1.75 Vcore and doesn't have the BIOS to recognize the Northwood As that run at 1.55 volts. Putting 1.75 volts to a Northwood is a good way to get SNDS. (Man, it's been a while since anybody has discussed SNDS around here :D )

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen Socket 478 Willies, but they were always on Woody-compatible boards. I've never seen a 478 board that didn't support Northwood, though I have seen some that only supported Northwood A's and Soicket 478 Willies.

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
The boards should support both the Willys and the Woodies, but some BIOSes on the Wiily 478 OEM machines won't recognize a Woody.
HAHHA willies and woodys! do you know how dodgy that sounds?
I bet this joke has been made before... :roll: it is a tech site afterall.
Tech jokes! i have a sad life. :oops:

I'd once thought that putting a desktop background on my laptop that says "I have a Woody!!" with an arrow pointing down would be funny, but I think that might get me into trouble with people that don't know that it's a double entendre.

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
thanx MU-8)
i will try it as my biggest fear was frying the chip even if it runs at 2.3 ill prolly see a marginal increase if it runs at 3.06 then :lol: yippie if not ill put the 2.0 back in and wait for my next thrift store/garage sale safari day and maby find a board...

PS:i have a thrift store near me hat sells any un-tested box for $10.00 (us)i've found some small treasures in it(the best was a acer tower 3300+ sempy/1 gig pc3200/160 gig hd/nvidia 5200) just needed a power supply--lol.I got that for $20.00 (us) had a pw supply at home that fit