Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

P35 Poll

Last response: in Motherboards

To P35 or not to P35 that is the question.

Total: 65 votes

  • P35 NOW!!! ?
  • 32 %
  • P35<6Months ?
  • 20 %
  • P35<1year ?
  • 8 %
  • P35<2 years ?
  • 2 %
  • Wait for X38 ?
  • 28 %
  • Wait for the next best thing!
  • 10 %
  • Never ?
  • 4 %
June 8, 2007 4:20:39 AM

P35 now or later?

More about : p35 poll

June 8, 2007 4:37:21 AM

I have a pretty good chipset that should last me awhile. I'll just skip it all together and get the best thing 2-4 years from now.
June 8, 2007 4:44:45 AM

My issue is that my HDD is pretty sucky and about to go(pending sectors and all), I was thinking I might as well get a new one and while I'm at it get Vista as well. Since I don't want to spend ~230 on the retail version of Vistam, so I thought I'd go with the OEM version and while I was at that thought I figure I should go with a new mobo too.

Since the 45nm chips are coming up I thought I might as well be able to do that in the future as well. I know DDR3 is at LEAST a year from being a popular, but I thought it'd be nice to have that "option" as well, so I'm looking at getting a combo style Mobo. The difference is only ~30 from a combo VS a single type so I might as well. What do you guys think, about the entire P35 thing, is it worth it or is it just bunk for now?
Related resources
June 8, 2007 4:57:34 AM

I just built my system a couple of months ago so I'll be happy for a while. I have a feeling that everyone should wait rather than jumping on that bandwagon because there should be much better things on the horizon. End of Q3 beginning of Q4 should bring a whole new crop of boards and the current boards will be at the bottom.
June 8, 2007 5:00:01 AM

So you guys think I should get my new HDD and spend the extra on the retail Vista?
June 8, 2007 5:06:06 AM

I have the retail Vista and I think it's worth it just because I have the option of upgrading what ever I want when ever I want. The system builder version only allows it to be used once, AFAIK if you change the MOBO or CPU (could be more) you need to buy a new COA. I have Vista but I wouldn't suggest upgrading unless someone is building a completely new system. If your doing a build there is no reason to waste the money on XP but at the same time if XP works on your current PC why spend money on a new OS.
June 8, 2007 5:10:01 AM

I know about the retail version being multi-hardware compatible(I dunno if that's what you should call it but that's what I'm going with). So I wonder if I should just get that(retail) and wait out the storm or just sit tight with XP till my new Mobo. What do you guys think?
June 8, 2007 5:25:11 AM

Stay with XP, I bet within the next year you will want a new motherboard and at that time compatability will be much better than it is now. You have a DX10 card but not a DX10 OS, don't worry there aren't any DX10 games anyway. When the games start coming out and the next generation of components arrive that would be the time to go with the new OS.
June 8, 2007 6:19:19 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading around December but getting a better PSU now(with an 8pin express cable). Also I'm not questioning the time to go over to Vista, just what would be the best time for the 45nm stuff. I'm not worried about DX10 stuff since I'll probably end up getting Vista whenever it's convenient dispite DX10. I'm not one of the regular ignorant THG geeks, I know my stuff. I just want to know what other people think as well.
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2007 7:42:56 AM

I wouldn't upgrade to the P35. Just keep what you have.

If you want to upgrade to Penryn when it comes out, then at that point you should upgrade.

Personally I would wait for the P38(?) chipset since the P35 is not Intel's flagship.
June 8, 2007 9:27:27 AM

I'll probably get a P35 board before Penryn comes out. I don't think x38 is for me though, even if it does yield super duper performance with 2 x16 slots or more I'm happy with a single GPU.

My pockets can go somewhat deep, but I just don't see the point of getting the best of the best anymore since everything changes so fast. I went from a P4 to a C2D, from a 6800 to a 8800GTS, from a 915P to a 975x so I seem to have the habit of being able to wait till I need to upgrade but my hard drive is 5 years old and it's time for a change. I think it'd be best for me to go the Vista route on the new HDD I'll get and since I'm at that I thought it'd be best for me to get a newer mobo that I know is fully compatible. Even though I don't think Vista is all it's cracked up to be it needs to be done sometime. It pains me to say that but it's sort of an inevitable change. Since 45nm boards are out now I thought that'd be the way to go, but you guys say otherwise.

I know DX10 games are realistically >at least< 6 months away from being okay and since there a few games out right now that need Vista plus even a few that are DX10 I still think it'd be nice to have the option to go that route without having to drop $800 at once on upgrades that I could do over a year or so.

Also I just don't think I play enough games to really worry about G90's, or Penryns, or 4x16 slot motherboards or 1500watt PSU's. The only thing I'm really looking for is an upgrade path. Something that's DDR2+DDR3 capable, DX10 capable(my only reason for Vista :roll: ) and something that's good for up coming processors, hense the reason for the 45nm(P35) boards.

DDR3 is important, but I don't see it being common till this time next year and even then it'll still be expensive. By the time DDR3 is popular most people will want to move over to the next best thing after P35/x38 which will probably be DDR3 no matter what. That also makes me wonder if getting a combo DDR2+DDR3 board is worth the extra expense but at the same time it's typically only $30 more so why not.

Not to get way off topic and I hate to say it but when I see an ATI or Nvidia fan ripping on the other guy because they are 10FPS short on a certain game it just blows my mind. When a card can do 100+ FPS in BF2142 I'm happy I don't care if it does 300FPS or 101FPS. I will admit though that the 8600 cards are a real disappointment.

Things like SLI and Crossfire are very intriguing I just don't think those kinds of technology or performance are for me. Mostly because they double the cost of everything. You need a great CPU to un-bottleneck things, a great PSU, a really good Mobo with 2 x16 slots or better to really unlock the performance(sorry 975x and 650i SLI guys) and you'll need 2 great GPU's and those are typically ~350+ range. However for the price the 8800GTS 320mb card is OMG sweet for a single card.

So waiting for the x38 just doesn't seem to make alot of sense to me. I know I could run just 1 card in a mobo like that but it's not really worth the price or the wait then is it.

Sorry for that book of material(ranting) but it's all true...sorta.
June 8, 2007 6:05:05 PM

You really just answered all your own questions. Just as when DDR2 replaced DDR the newer RAM was slower and significantly more expensive. It will take some time before it makes sense to go the DDR3 route. By the time DDR3 is mainstream there will be much better chipsets out designed to use the new RAM and many on the mid to low-end that are better than what is currently available. Hard drives are cheap and can last through several system upgrades. If you want Vista that's fine just before you buy make sure all your peripherals are supported (I have to buy a new printer because Lexmark isn't releasing a driver for my current one). I needed a new system so I built one, if your not in critical need of one and just need a new HDD then why not wait till the x38's come out. At that time you will have a better selection of P35's and all the kinks will have been worked out.

I don't care if it does 300FPS or 101FPS.

That's the difference between crossfire/sli and a single card. Not noticeable only for benchmarks and bragging rights.
June 8, 2007 6:46:27 PM

Sorry about that rant, I was up all night. What I really want people to do is just answer the darn poll question, lol.

I'm probably just going to grab the retail Vista at wally world whenever I order a new HDD, that way I can get a new mobo in the future and not worry about it. Or I'll just wait till this crap falls apart and then upgrade to whatever new OS is out.
June 8, 2007 7:06:06 PM

The P35 seems to be a very good chipset and also offers a very attractive upgrade path for both processor and RAM.
That being said, why not get it?
June 8, 2007 8:40:41 PM

This is worse than the SM girlfriend from back in highschool. It's great but you wanna scream too.

What really gets me though is the hopes that Nvidia's next chipset will really be kick-ass.
June 11, 2007 7:17:56 PM

I had planned on building a new computer after Vista was released...then once Intel dropped the prices of the e6600. I was all set to but a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 but then Newegg was out of stock after April 22nd.

Then after researching I realized that the P35 was going to be available. I figured what the heck...I may as well buy the new tech anyway (to top it off Newegg never had the 965P back in stock anyway.)

I purchased the GA-P35-DQ6 board last week and the memory (4Gb of Corsair) was delivered today....should be up and running by tomorrow.

I couldn't keep putting off the purchase old system is at the end of the rope.
June 11, 2007 9:51:15 PM

Come back and tell us how it goes
June 11, 2007 10:28:40 PM

i will buy a x38, but how much will it cost above ,if 150$ then i will not buy it, i will be better off with a p35 mobo
June 11, 2007 11:26:56 PM

Built a week ago, got P35, why would I? Unless your planning on upgrading your CPU, there really is no point on upgrading your mobo. Also the 650i and 680i should support Penryn, unless they need a revision, but there have already been 2 after the original release. But who knows.
June 12, 2007 11:59:27 PM

This wasn't an upgrade to a new was a complete new build...from the ground up.
June 13, 2007 1:09:00 AM

I just made the plunge and bought a gigabyte p35C-DS3R with an e2160 processor. I went this route because I desperately needed to upgrade but I didn't want to get a board that would be outdated almost immediately. The support for both ddr2 and ddr3 as well as 45 nm processors gives me lots of upgrade room. You may be asking why I went with the e2160. Well I don't see the point in shelling out tons of cash for a cpu right now when the 45nm quads are on the way. Plus I got the e2160 for around 90 bucks and I have it overclocked from its stock 1.8ghs to 3.2ghz with just the oem heatsink and fan!!!!!! In my opinion this chip is the hands down best chip for the price right now. Its overclocking potential has bested my now retired opteron 165 and those were some pretty big shoes to fill.