Unable to access one machine on 4 machine home network

Home network consists of 2 desktops and 1 laptop with XP Home having
wired connections to router, and 1 laptop with XP Pro wireless. Until
recently all four machines were able to access all shared folders on any
other, now one (wired) desktop machine can see and open all the shared
folders on the other three and it's folders can be seen but not be
opened by them. When I try to open the first machine's shared folders
from any other I get the response;
**************
"\\machine name\folder name is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
the server to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command".
**************

The other three machines have full access to each other. There appear
to be no other problems and to the best of my knowledge I haven't made
any changes to the network since it was first set up.

Any suggestions?

"Dave E" <X@XXX.net> wrote in message
> Home network consists of 2 desktops and 1 laptop with XP Home having
> wired connections to router, and 1 laptop with XP Pro wireless. Until
> recently all four machines were able to access all shared folders on any
> other, now one (wired) desktop machine can see and open all the shared
> folders on the other three and it's folders can be seen but not be
> opened by them. When I try to open the first machine's shared folders
> from any other I get the response;
> **************
> "\\machine name\folder name is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> the server to find out if you have access permissions.
>
> Not enough server storage is available to process this command".

Here is something I posted years ago when I had a similar problem....

Colin

If you are sure you have set up your accounts and shares correctly but you
still can't access a machine over your LAN and you get either access
permission errors or "Not enough server storage" (or perhaps other
messages?) then his might be worth checking.

Look in the event log on the "server". This might be an ordinary PC in the
case of a home LAN, either way it's the PC hosting the share you are trying
to contact. See if there is an entry telling you the irpstacksize is too
small.

I believe this problems may be due to Norton Antivirus S/W...

Norton have this advisory (long URL may wrap to new line and need repair)

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/c851d9242b6f1c4d88256d8000469d43/23c023a837b5241188256d03005eb145?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

and Microsoft have this one..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;106167

HOWEVER the above only mention the error message being "Not enough server
storage...". I found it can also give access permission errors (something
like "Access denied" or "Insufficient acesss", I can't remember exactly).
These are really confusing to someone trying to set up a home LAN.

Here is what I found...

irpstacksize = 11 (dec) causes access permission errors.

irpstacksize = 13/14 the error changed to "Not enough server storage" or
similar.

CWatters wrote:
> "Dave E" <X@XXX.net> wrote in message
>
>>Home network consists of 2 desktops and 1 laptop with XP Home having
>>wired connections to router, and 1 laptop with XP Pro wireless. Until
>>recently all four machines were able to access all shared folders on any
>>other, now one (wired) desktop machine can see and open all the shared
>>folders on the other three and it's folders can be seen but not be
>>opened by them. When I try to open the first machine's shared folders
>>from any other I get the response;
>>**************
>>"\\machine name\folder name is not accessible. You might not have
>>permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
>>the server to find out if you have access permissions.
>>
>>Not enough server storage is available to process this command".
>

> Here is something I posted years ago when I had a similar problem....
>
> Colin
>
> If you are sure you have set up your accounts and shares correctly but you
> still can't access a machine over your LAN and you get either access
> permission errors or "Not enough server storage" (or perhaps other
> messages?) then his might be worth checking.
>
> Look in the event log on the "server". This might be an ordinary PC in the
> case of a home LAN, either way it's the PC hosting the share you are trying
> to contact. See if there is an entry telling you the irpstacksize is too
> small.
>
> I believe this problems may be due to Norton Antivirus S/W...
>
> Norton have this advisory (long URL may wrap to new line and need repair)
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/c851d9242b6f1c4d88256d8000469d43/23c023a837b5241188256d03005eb145?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
>
> and Microsoft have this one..
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;106167
>
> HOWEVER the above only mention the error message being "Not enough server
> storage...". I found it can also give access permission errors (something
> like "Access denied" or "Insufficient acesss", I can't remember exactly).
> These are really confusing to someone trying to set up a home LAN.
>
> Here is what I found...
>
> irpstacksize = 11 (dec) causes access permission errors.
>
> irpstacksize = 13/14 the error changed to "Not enough server storage" or
> similar.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll browse thru the Microsoft citation as I
don't run NAV.

Dave