Sign in with
Your question

ZOMG pci DX10 graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2007 8:22:27 AM

Yes the 8500GT is coming to the PCI!
How about we let pci interface die NOW, though its a decent card if you dont want to get rid of your P3 700 just yet along with that 30GB hdd and that wicked sick 128mb of ram! :twisted:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8982
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2007 9:17:32 AM

Quote:
How about we let pci interface die NOW, though its a decent card if you dont want to get rid of your P3 700 just yet along with that 30GB hdd and that wicked sick 128mb of ram! :twisted:

LOL :trophy:

the new 3d decelerator! i got a socket 7 system it could fit into - complete with 1 gb of ram (dont believe me? im serious! screen shots later!)
June 8, 2007 9:21:20 AM

Lots of machines are still sold without slots capable of taking modern graphics cards. Though this thing will obviously suck compared to any decent card on a modern interface, it should still be a good improvement from the useless onboard graphics most cheap namebrand machines are using.

Obviously not something to be considered by anyone who wants a modern gaming experience, but it's at least an option for people who now have none at all.
Related resources
June 8, 2007 9:37:27 AM

Quote:

the new 3d decelerator! i got a socket 7 system it could fit into - complete with 1 gb of ram (dont believe me? im serious! screen shots later!)Not many people had a gig ram with those. Ram was too expensive back then...
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2007 9:53:37 AM

LOL!

Oh yeah! Well...... you watch.... AMD's gonna strike back with an HD2400 on ISA !! :twisted:
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2007 9:56:23 AM

Quote:

Obviously not something to be considered by anyone who wants a modern gaming experience, but it's at least an option for people who now have none at all.

You know, I see this as more of a developer or 2D artist type card more than even a gamer for those without AGP and PCIe.

This is the first nV card with 10bit per channel colour, so for 2D artists who like nV or are forced to migrate from MAtrox due to Vista, this would be a good idea.
June 8, 2007 10:00:17 AM

So that's what they've been working on all this time. And here we thought they didn't have a killer card coming. :lol: 
June 8, 2007 4:51:53 PM

Quote:
LOL!

Oh yeah! Well...... you watch.... AMD's gonna strike back with an HD2400 on ISA !! :twisted:

We need VESA local bus first (VL bus)
June 8, 2007 5:50:48 PM

Someone needs to go back to Walmart.
June 8, 2007 6:53:38 PM

What we need now is a 1 GB EDO RAM sticks and a BIOS update for mobos supporting EDO RAM!
June 8, 2007 7:17:26 PM

Quote:
LOL!

Oh that would be hilarious...
It'd make front page news everywhere!
June 8, 2007 7:38:44 PM

hey grape, its good to see you are still here and we are not completely abandoned!

but this is the perfect solution for all of those people who buy those slim dells and dells that dont have agp slots who want to play games.

i.e. college kids.

that also reminds me, remember all that hype about the 7800gs being the last AGP video card to ever be made, yet we are resorting back to PCI? rofl.
June 8, 2007 7:53:45 PM

BREAKING NEWS FROM nVIDIA! 8O
Quote:
The GeForce 10800series graphics cards(witch will release in 2010)will only come out on ISA but maybe we made it to be compatible with PCI slots!
Oh btw, PIC-E sucks! lol
June 8, 2007 8:03:06 PM

You would be suprised the small performance penalty PCI would exact. Since 99% of the data that goes though the bus comes from the hard drive, and the hard drive transfer speed is significantly slower than even a PCI bus, you won't see too much of a performance hurt. Just hope the card has enough memory in it, otherwise there will be hurt if it has to access main memory.
June 8, 2007 8:53:40 PM

Quote:
You would be suprised the small performance penalty PCI would exact. Since 99% of the data that goes though the bus comes from the hard drive, and the hard drive transfer speed is significantly slower than even a PCI bus, you won't see too much of a performance hurt. Just hope the card has enough memory in it, otherwise there will be hurt if it has to access main memory.

agree, as long as the frame buffer on the card is large enough and does not start swapping to memory, the speed of the IO link will have very minimul impact.
June 8, 2007 10:57:48 PM

I see this as a good move. 8500 isn't mainstream graphics for entertainment, as seen by the performance. Not everyone wants to pay for 2 pci-e cards on a mobo. But pci slots are pretty much a given. What better way to have multiple monitors, than to use pci.

Its not like 2d requires a bus the size of pci-e
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2007 9:16:21 AM

Quote:

the new 3d decelerator! i got a socket 7 system it could fit into - complete with 1 gb of ram (dont believe me? im serious! screen shots later!)Not many people had a gig ram with those. Ram was too expensive back then...

1gb - this stuff cost me nothin, collected em over the years, this is purely for experiments etc :D 
June 25, 2007 10:11:38 AM

i think this card will be a killer card, yeah, literally, people will burst into flames waiting for stuff to load :p 
!