NVidia 8 Series Size Query?

lazyboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2005
Ok i'm using a coolermaster centurion case and i know, from what i've heard that the 8800 GTS/GTX cards will probably not fit in my case. What about the new 8600 and 8500 cards? What size are they in comparison and will they fit in my machine?

Also I know the 8800 cards requires their own power cables (6 pin i think) but I'm not so sure about the others?

Cheers in advance,

CC

The GTS definitely WILL fit in your case, and from what I remember of a list out there the Centurion is among those that might fit the GTX.

If I can find the list I'll post it, I remember it specifically because I have recommended the centurion and Stacker to many friends and so I try to take note of stuff like that for them.

Remember the GTS isn't all that big.

Edit; here's a different list not the one I saw and it seems that the Centurion 5 does and the 534 doesn't fit the GTX (although I also saw mention of people with them in a brief google);

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50540

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
You definately don't want to go the 8600 or 8500 route. The top dogs of the previous generation from either camp will wipe the floor with these.

The GTS would be the best for this job unless you have the PSU and money to handle the GTX.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I forgot to mention that the top dogs of the old gen are cheaper as well. But I'd definately go for the GTS if I had the money...

chowner

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
The GTS definitely WILL fit in your case, and from what I remember of a list out there the Centurion is among those that might fit the GTX.

Ignorance!!!!! Man thats ignorant!!!

Suggestion if you don't know wtf you are talking about refrain from typing thank you and have a good day.

lazyboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for your help guys, although that last message wasnt to clear or helpful?

Lets just say the I'm going to get the 8800 GTS 320mb, I have the centurion 5 and from what I can gather on the installed PSU its only 350W. Will this be enough? and if not can I should be able to replace it withought replacing the case shouldnt i?

CC

chowner

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Thanks for your help guys, although that last message wasnt to clear or helpful?

Lets just say the I'm going to get the 8800 GTS 320mb, I have the centurion 5 and from what I can gather on the installed PSU its only 350W. Will this be enough? and if not can I should be able to replace it withought replacing the case shouldnt i?

CC

no way in hell is 350 enough you need atleast a 500W with the correct rail voltages.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Antec makes very nice PSU's and they aren't too expensiive. Bit busy at work right now but check the PSU forumz for an Idea or look up Mpilchfamily.

lazyboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2005
Ok well I've had a look and the Thermaltake Toughpower 600W + PSU's look like a good bet.

How do I know if the PSU i buy will fit my chassis? or are they all the same size?

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Thera are some differences so look at the manufacturers site for dimensions. After that its simply a matter of opening your case and measure.
GL

Ignorance!!!!! Man thats ignorant!!!

Suggestion if you don't know wtf you are talking about refrain from typing thank you and have a good day.

I do know WTF I'm talking about becase the GTS is the same size as the HIS X1950Pro IceQ Turbo I helped a friend replace his X800XL with in a Centurion 5 case which I suggets to many people because of airflow, no problems.
I KNEW the GTS wold fit, what I was unsure of was the GTX which I qualified at first. And while trying to look for the link of the original list I saw with the Centurion 5 + GTX on it I found other confirmation and edited right away 2hrs before you posted.

So STFU !! :roll:

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
In the CM Centurion 5 there is exactly 288 mm of clearence from the support for the graphics (and other expansion) cards to the drivecage. The GTX is 267 mm (10.5 inches) long. That leaves about a 20 mm gap for cabling (not much but enough).

You have to position the harddrive so that it doesn't block the PCI-E 16x slot(s).