Hi, I bought my new laptop without an operating system and I'm trying

paca22

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Hi, I bought my new laptop ( Toshiba Satellite L300) without an operating system installed on it and I'm trying to install Windows Xp but keep getting the following error message while it's installing the Windows xp drivers.

The Blue Screen of Death.

I get the "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" message.

Tech Ifo : The error message is
STOP : 0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Can somebody tell me a way around this? I heard I might have to reformat the hard drive but I don't know how to get into the menu to do it.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
After googling the error messages, I would check your BIOS settings.

The hard drive is SATA.

Well, it is possible that the BIOS setting for the hard drive is in AHCI mode and therefore, XP would not be able to be installed without either:
1) slipstreaming the copy of XP with the AHCI drivers (chipset for the laptop aka the hard drive's controller drivers) OR
2) switching the mode in BIOS to IDE simulate mode or whatever it's called. That won't give the full set of features that AHCI mode would give you, though.

I recommend slipstreaming your XP copy with NLite and then try again to re-install

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
you bought a toshiba laptop, Canuck1 is correct, the issue is the ACHI drivers which are downloadable from toshiba, download N-Lite and slipstream them into your installation disk and it will work great, I just did this for a fiend of mine that had a toshiba that he got at Walmart, if this is what you are doing uninstalling Vista and installing XP you can get the rest of the drivers that you need from the Australian toshiba website, FWIW, during the installation process at the beginning you will see XP load the Toshiba floppy drivers- I guess they knew about the problem

wojciech06

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

I had the same problem in my Packard Bell. I configured my BIOS settings to SATA hard drive and the problem disappeared.

TRENDING THREADS