Recomend me a Core 2 Motherboard

pow216

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Hello All

I am going to upgrade to a Core 2 CPU soon. I am not into games but would like a PCI express graphics card which supports the Vista Aero interface. I don't want SLI, crossfire etc, just the min graphics card for what I need. I have three IDE optical drives, but I might upgarde one to SATA if I need to.

My main requirements are then:-

NO SLI / CROSSFIRE
NO WIFI
Gigabit LAN - DUAL LAN WOULD BE GREAT, only 1 need be GIGABIT
5+ SATA ports
2 IDE ports (for 3 drives), 6+ SATA required if only 1 IDE port
DDR2 is fine
1 or 2 old style PCI slots would be good
OVERCLOCKING FACILITIES

Any recomendations? What is the cheapest board which has all this?

Thanks All

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
HI there is no compotion in this market really the Gigabyte DS3 series is the best way to go. If you a futerproofer you can get it with a G35 chipset (but watch which RAM type your getting), doing this will allow you to up grade to the next level of C2D of the coming years.

however if your a Man of the tried and tested and replace all you tech at once then really a P965 DS3 is the sensible option and will come with all your wanted option while being a mean overclocker and reliable board.

The DS doesnt support Sli and dosent properly support Crossfire. But will give you a full X16 lanes for you Graphics card making the most out of it.

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
Asus p5k, or deluxe ddr2, love mine, does everythign you mentioned in your post, temps are low, overclocks very well.
The only thing is no ps2 mouse supoort, you need a usb or usb adapter.
benchmarks through the roof and overclocks very well and has built in recovery from bad overclocks, I love the board.
Lump

pow216

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Cheers dobby / nhobo, I am now looking at the Gigabyte
GA-G33-DS3R,
just a shame no dual LAN, still I can stick a PCI card in!

It does come with integrated graphics does anyone know if this supports Vista Aero?

pow216

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Do the G33 motherboards come with VGA output or are there any with DVI?

Not sure whether to buy a G33 or P35 now! Monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs but would really like to use the DVI input.

Ordered a gigabit PCI card so no longer need dual LAN. There must be too much choice!

xjustice09x

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
The G33 boards have on board graphics. I'm not sure if it supports vista Aero. It should have a VGA port on the motherboard.

Since you don't need a high end card you should be able to add one with DVI outputs that will support vista Aero for under $50. The graphics card should be much better than the onboard video.