Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advanced Micro Says It May Lose Server Chip Share to Intel

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Chip
  • Intel
  • Servers
Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 8, 2007 2:21:24 PM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20070606103205.html
06/06/2007
AMD Sees Its Market Share Up in 2007.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aHjF_r5DEuKs
June 8 (Bloomberg)
Advanced Micro Says It May Lose Server Chip Share to Intel

Hmm

We used to win every benchmark, and now we win 50 percent

Hmm

Advanced Micro's Richard said the company is on schedule to release a new server chip called Barcelona in the third quarter, denying reports the product will ship late.

More about : advanced micro lose server chip share intel

June 8, 2007 3:40:41 PM

Quote:


Hmm

We used to win every benchmark, and now we win 50 percent

Hmm


Interesting huh? even when Henri decides it is time to start telling some truth, he is still lying :? the guy is pathetic
June 8, 2007 3:53:43 PM

What needs to be said? Flip-flops from AMD have become the norm. Though it may come out with a new product here and there, mainly it announces a product, then delays, then changes its story, and always blames its troubles on someone else.

I don't pay any heed to stories like these anymore. They just contribute to the FUD. I pay more attention to the actual product launches and benches, stock prices, etc.
June 8, 2007 4:18:25 PM

They have already lost significant market share in servers. :roll: Not having a quad core CPU in servers is hurting AMD badly.
June 8, 2007 4:32:55 PM

Quote:
Not having a quad core CPU in servers is hurting AMD badly.


Not having a competitive CPU at all is hurting AMD.
June 8, 2007 4:40:30 PM

Even Barcelona is announced now, the market share of AMD will not rise until the end of the year.
June 8, 2007 5:59:06 PM

Quote:
Even Barcelona is announced now, the market share of AMD will not rise until the end of the year.

not to mention that Barcelona is very likely to delay to Q4 itself.

AMD will have a very very rough year ahead of them...

....at least they still have BM and Sharidouche :lol:  :lol: 
June 8, 2007 6:47:14 PM

Quote:
Not having a competitive CPU at all is hurting AMD.


you know, there's a name for people who blatantly lie just to kiss up to the bully on the block
June 8, 2007 6:47:29 PM

My logic is not so good today but is "winning 50% of the time" is the same as "tie"?
June 8, 2007 7:11:56 PM

Not when youre trying to make people believe that youre better by your opponent.
"Win 50%" is more unspecified than "tie". With a tie, youre exactly the same, but 50% leaves - while it may not sound like it does - a lot of room to bend reality.

Thats AMD logic, which means that by offering slower products for more dollars you have a guaranteed 150% market share.
June 8, 2007 7:40:16 PM

Nope, that does not logically follow when analying bench results.

Let's say there are four test.

TEST1 - CPU1 - Test Completes in 1:00
TEST1 - CPU2 - Test Completes in 1:01

Test2 - CPU1 - Test Completes in 3:00
Test2 - CPU2 - Test Completes in 3:01

Test3 - CPU1 - Test Completes in 2:00
Test3 - CPU2 - Test Completes in 1:30

Test4 CPU1 - Test Completes in 5:00
Test4 CPU2 - Test Completes in 3:30

Each CPU win 50% of the bench marks.
Clearly there is a winner.

The other problem with the "50%" claim by AMD is likely based upon really twisting things to get that number. Intel's latest chips just beat them. End of Story. The reason is simple - They have failed to release their next generation CPU while Intel has.
June 8, 2007 10:14:10 PM

With all the flip flop statements from AMD maybe they now have Sen. John Kerry as a management consultant. :lol:  :lol: 
June 8, 2007 11:14:20 PM

sounds reasonable and Dr Ruiz needs another anchor on the board of directors to flip flop on Henri's statements :) 
June 8, 2007 11:34:07 PM

Quote:
With all the flip flop statements from AMD maybe they now have Sen. John Kerry as a management consultant. :lol:  :lol: 


Or Mitt Romney. :) 
June 9, 2007 12:02:01 AM

:evil:  wow - with all the missteps lately amd announces this bit of relevance - they announced or they admit to what is already happening? and amd says: "we might loose some server biz" Don't they mean we are loosing and wil loose more. :twisted:

Quote:
What needs to be said? Flip-flops from AMD have become the norm. Though it may come out with a new product here and there, mainly it announces a product, then delays, then changes its story, and always blames its troubles on someone else.

I don't pay any heed to stories like these anymore. They just contribute to the FUD. I pay more attention to the actual product launches and benches, stock prices, etc.


good news from amd:

hd audio in the egg fryer called hd 2900xt which is pratically unusable unless you water cool it.

new intel chipset on fatality micro atx mobo - it rocks!



wow they pay people say that stuff? i could have told amd that for free last nov when qx6700 came as planned.

tic toc amd has lost its clock

IFB
June 9, 2007 6:48:32 AM

Quote:
With all the flip flop statements from AMD maybe they now have Sen. John Kerry as a management consultant. :lol:  :lol: 


I wonder what a flip flop statement looks like. Maybe something like this:

always @ ( posedge clk or negedge reset)
if (~reset)
begin
q <= 1'b0;
end
else
begin
q <= data;
end
June 9, 2007 7:16:46 AM

ARe they mad???? I realize they need to stay positive, but saying things like "we need to break 30%" makes them look silly. Of course they do, but shut up about it. Saying things like that sort of makes you look desperate. And calling refering to "the monopoly" makes you look like you're blaming Intel for your follies.

As for their "rebound"... yeah... ummm... that's relative. IMO and most others a rebound would be greater than 7% across the board. That ain't gonna happen.

Write it down: Barcelona isn't going to win back more than 2%. And when it does, it'll lose that 2% quickly (within 2 quarters).
June 9, 2007 3:32:59 PM

Quote:
ARe they mad???? I realize they need to stay positive, but saying things like "we need to break 30%" makes them look silly. Of course they do, but shut up about it. Saying things like that sort of makes you look desperate. And calling refering to "the monopoly" makes you look like you're blaming Intel for your follies.

As for their "rebound"... yeah... ummm... that's relative. IMO and most others a rebound would be greater than 7% across the board. That ain't gonna happen.

Write it down: Barcelona isn't going to win back more than 2%. And when it does, it'll lose that 2% quickly (within 2 quarters).


Are they mad? No, just crazy. And be an optimist. They might even win back 3% with Barcelona, along with Agena and Puma. Of course, then Intel will release its next line of chips.
!