Partitioning and space for XP?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I upgraded my HDD for my Thinkpad T41 but I was wondering how much space to devote to XP. I'll have one or two extra partitions for Linux.

I was hoping that heavy XP users would advise me how to partition XP and how much space I should give it. I usually just partition once and put XP there. So, for a 120GB IDE laptop drive, maybe 30GB to 40GB? I usually use Linux but there are times I do go into XP. I don't want to run out of partition space for it. I try to have some multimedia apps installed even in XP!

However, there is some logic for having more than one partition for XP. A partition for system files, one for program files, perhaps, and maybe one more to store data. But, I usually try to store data on a separate hard drive. So, having two partitions for XP would probably be a decent maximum. I guess my question consists of two parts.

1) How much disk space to dedicate to XP?

2) How to break it up or should I bother? If you recommend further partitions, how to partition and what would the specifics be? System files -> C, Programs etc. -> D ???? ETC. ETC?

I guess I should do it like that and then C: would be for System/Windows files and D: would be for everything else. E: would be the CD burner/DVD reader or for additional USB drives when they are plugged in?

Any recommendations?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
How come no one hardly replies or responds to posts in the XP section?

Not even a 'dunno... ' or ' that's easy, just ...XYZ... ya, dumb arse....'

I'm at 17 reads but for heavy Windows users, I thought I'd at least get two or three replies.

Is there any Windows-centric forums I could ask the questions? Sorry, I am just really beat regarding finding answers and desperate now. I'm googling to no avail. I also wanted to clone the data/XP OS on the partition and having never done that before, it is another complex problem. *Sigh*.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I usually use about 40 to 60 G for the C: drive and 100 G for the others, mine goes to Q with the memcard reader and with out the E-SATA archive which I have lettered Y:, if you are wanting the clone the information after your inatallation then there are sveral 3rd party softwares that will do what you want,