Sign in with
Your question

Help/Advice Please!

Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2007 3:18:04 PM

Ok to make a long story short my computer exploded and im plannin on building a new one. Ive been looking at tiger direct and they have some really good prices on computer parts and i wanna build mine from scratch pretty much, im looking to get a GOOD video card that can handle games like STALKER and OBLIV with high end graphics. I also plan on getting an AMD CPU 4600x2 2.40ghz with an amd based board with pci-express slots and DDR2 dual or single slots which can handle different types of mhz of ram, also i need a power supply that will run my computer without another disater occuring and advice on which cheap proformance ram to use, So far ive got these parts in mind:

XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX Edition / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card / great reviews / lifetime warranty.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item...

Thats the link for the video card im thinking about getting ^^^

As for the MOBO and CPU im thinking about going AMD because the price seems right! This is a package which contains both:

Asus M2N-E SLI NVIDIA Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.40GHz OEM Processor

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Ok this is where i need help/advice, iam not a computer genius and have some questions if someone would answer them it would be greatfully appreciated!!! :D  My questions are:

If i buy these parts would a 500w budjet power supply support them?
Which type of ram does this MOBO take is it DDR2 single sticks or can it take those dual DDR2 sticks??
I plan to get two 1GB DDR2 sticks and if it takes both which one should i go for?
Is this a good build that will be able to handle the most recent games like
S.t.a.l.k.e.r, supreme commander etc on high graphics?
My budjet here is around $600.00 canadian i have a Hard drive already with operating system and a nice 19" lcd monitor so just the hard ware is important to me now any suggestions or feedback for a computer novice would be great.

Cheers!! 8) :? 8O :p  :lol: 

-rwsanford

More about : advice

June 8, 2007 4:32:26 PM

A 7600GT won't play STALKER at particularly high settings I'm afraid. You should be able to get decent frame rates without it looking crap, but it's not really close to powerful enough to run it at truly top settings. For a budget of $560 USD I'm not sure you'll be able to get the power you want to be honest.

A cheap 500W PSU would probably run that stuff but there's a risk with any cheap PSU. After the GFX card it's possibly the worst place to skimp if you're making a gaming PC.

That motherboard will be able to take dual channel DDR2 kits or single sticks. Not sure it's great value though.
!