Sign in with
Your question

Do Vista 64 premium and the 8800 gts work?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2007 4:17:38 PM

I mean if i put my system together from scratch and load vista will it work?

I read that others needed special drivers if im putting it together how would i get drivers if the screen dosen't work?

really worried about first build can anyone help me with these Q's

thanks
June 8, 2007 4:36:49 PM

Should work just fine. Vista will come with default video drivers (which aren't too bad if I say so myself). Then just go to nvidia's website and download the Vista 64 drivers.

If you're really worried about your display not working with a 8800GTS, then, use another PCI Express card (if you have one lying around... if not, see if you can borrow one from a friend or something). That or get a PCI card (non express... yes, they exist and should work.

Hope this helps.
June 9, 2007 3:12:39 PM

wow if you read all my posts you'd see how many times i've settled on one thing and changed my mind.

at this moment i think i'll go with Vista 64 premium then, still open to more advice though
June 9, 2007 7:24:37 PM

Quote:
Should work just fine. Vista will come with default video drivers (which aren't too bad if I say so myself). Then just go to nvidia's website and download the Vista 64 drivers.

If you're really worried about your display not working with a 8800GTS, then, use another PCI Express card (if you have one lying around... if not, see if you can borrow one from a friend or something). That or get a PCI card (non express... yes, they exist and should work.

Hope this helps.

What he said is correct. My only concern is how well will the drivers fuction. I tried vista 32 and 64 and although the visual interface was awesome just ran into one problem after another. Especially if you also want to double your PC as an HTPC. Out of frustration I just put XP back on my PC. I have been running Vista for about the past 4+ months and I did give it a fair shot because I REALLY wanted it to work well.

For normal prebuilt systems, probably wont run into any problems but for high end gaming systems/HTPC expect some driver issues.
!