Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What this game really needs ...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:25:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

is a function that locks your mouse and keyboard for, say, 60 seconds
after you invite someone who is not looking for team.

--
"When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
good sign." -G

More about : game

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:58:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of
the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>is a function that locks your mouse and keyboard for, say, 60 seconds
>after you invite someone who is not looking for team.

What, only a minute?

I felt this way last night as some stupid idiot kept sending invites.
To top it off,
not only was I not looking for a team,
not only was the inviter nowhere in sight,
not only was this someone I have never teamed with,
I was hidden, so I wouldn't have shown up on the who's-in-zone and team
search lists.

That's right - this person saw me at some point, remembered my name (or
added me to their friends list for some reason) and kept sending blind
invites some time later.

The third time I just moved the invite box off to the side to stop them
from being able to invite anyone for a while, but one of my binds
accepted it - it was a team of 5 people I saw in the couple seconds it
took to quit out. I'm guessing it was someone trying to put together a
taskforce and inviting any/everyone they saw who was in the right level
range.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 4:53:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
news:o pso138pe1b52ai9@news.online.no...
> is a function that locks your mouse and keyboard for, say, 60 seconds
> after you invite someone who is not looking for team.
>
> --
> "When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
> good sign." -G

Yes, indeed. Ditto for any tells asking if you want to be a bridge or herd
wolves.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:43:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
> is a function that locks your mouse and keyboard for, say, 60 seconds
> after you invite someone who is not looking for team.

And locks your controls for 60 seconds and removes half your HP for asking
someone to be a bridge or to PL you.

And locks your controls for 60 seconds, wipes your HP and spawns a mob of +
3 Freaks around you for ARGUING with someone about becoming a bridge or
PLing them.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 38 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:32:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:58:05 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> The third time I just moved the invite box off to the side to stop them
> from being able to invite anyone for a while

They'll be able to invite as many people as they want, no matter what
you do with that login box. It just means they won't be able to
invite you again for a while.

Another solution would be to /ignore the inviter, and you won't get
invited by him again.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:34:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
say:

>Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
>> is a function that locks your mouse and keyboard for, say, 60 seconds
>> after you invite someone who is not looking for team.
>
>And locks your controls for 60 seconds and removes half your HP for asking
>someone to be a bridge or to PL you.
>
>And locks your controls for 60 seconds, wipes your HP and spawns a mob of +
>3 Freaks around you for ARGUING with someone about becoming a bridge or
>PLing them.

Freaks? Freaks?

A full squad of Ruularuu Watchers and Brutes is what I think you meant
to say.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:37:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:58:05 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> The third time I just moved the invite box off to the side to stop them
>> from being able to invite anyone for a while
>
>They'll be able to invite as many people as they want, no matter what
>you do with that login box. It just means they won't be able to
>invite you again for a while.

Me, anyone, whatever. As long as they can't pester me it's good enough.
Unfortunately with my 'd' bind to not only move right but to also send a
dialogyes (for right-click, d, deleting of enhancements.) means i'll
auto-accept if I step right.

>Another solution would be to /ignore the inviter, and you won't get
>invited by him again.

That works too, but of course so many of these idiot have long and
annoying names with huge numbers of a repeated letter.

The invite box needs three buttons [yes] [no] [no and ignore inviter].

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 3:05:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:32:52 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
wrote:

> Another solution would be to /ignore the inviter, and you won't get
> invited by him again.

That's great news! Somehow I thought /ignore only applied to talk channels.

--
"When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
good sign." -G
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:47:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

.... is a spellcheck and an automatic capital letter function.
April 12, 2005 11:50:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

I can't believe the number of tells I get when I enter or exit a portal
mission in PI... always asking to be PL'd. I love using the find
feature after I get a tell to see what level they are. Never fails,
they are always <20 in level.

I had a level 8 beg me to group with him, here is how it went:

Him: "I promise I will stay out of the way. I have really powerful
holds."

Me: "What level are you?"

Him: "I'm a level 8, but when you SK me up I will be very powerful with
my holds. I also have some debt I got when I tried to get here. :( "

Me: I invited him to group and SK'd him.

Him: The moron then asked, "Can I wait by the entrance? I have to
eat dinner now, can I go AFK for about 30 minutes?"

Me: "Yes, but just put yourself on follow so you don't get out of
range."

Him: "K"

I then waited a couple of minutes and then walked into a room filled
with L50+, un-SK'd him, sent him a tell saying "I don't power level
AFK'rs" and then and then dropped him from the group. Let's just say
he died and when he returned he wasn't too happy.

Yea, I know that was mean, but I hate people looking for a free ride
and have never played the game before and are just trying to get to 50
so they can tell all of their friends they are "uber". Reminds me of a
teenage cousin I have... his parents buy him tons of xbox/ps2 games and
he always looks for the cheat codes online, so he can complete the game
in a few hours.

What fun is that?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:54:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Clem Clambake" <clemclambake@yahoo.coma> looked up from reading the
entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
say:

>... is a spellcheck and an automatic capital letter function.

I've never seen an automatic capital letter function that DIDN'T screw
up somewhere.
Spellcheck, while a semi nice idea, is either going to make every
message takes ages to send or will rapidly be skipped past.

[I have an auto spellcheck of all usenet posts before the message is
sent - to catch typos - and it does take a bit of time , and more
importantly, it doesn't recognize all words.]

An in game spellcheck also won't catch all those places where the
properly spelled wrong word was used.


"Let we two go to their place over there, because they're getting too
loud." [Yeah it's a horrible sentence, usage examples usually are.]

I'd guess over 50% of the coh population couldn't write that whole
sentence properly because they have no idea of which to/too/two or
their/there/they're to use where.


Not to mention the idiot speak text shortform "Do u want 2 go 2 the
store 4 comics?"

Better idea - every time some moron says "wat" instead of "what", they
take damage equivalent to 25% of their max hp.

Eventually (a few dozen or hundred repetitions) they'll get the hint and
stop doing it.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
April 12, 2005 5:57:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

I wasn't trying to be a Dick. I just hate people looking for a free
ride. If he would have told me that he wanted to go AFK *BEFORE* we
entered the mission, I would have told him I had no interest in
powerleveling him and that he had to contribute somehow to the group.
Granted, he probably wouldn't have been much help to me and I rarely
help really low levels by doing a high level mission (I usually prefer
to help by exemplaring down and fighting at their level -- adds a
challenge as I laugh at the powers I had at that level)... but I was in
a good mood since I just hit 50 a couple days ago. I had to log after
the mission anyways, so I figured I'd just do one mission and tell him
I had to go after we completed the mission. Unforunately the guy never
gave me the chance and was just a leech. Of course, I probably could
have just un-SK'd him and he wouldn't have got squat for XP, but
something about this just p'd me off. And, at his level debt goes away
pretty quick. I actually enjoy helping others and even visit the lower
zones now that I'm 50 and don't mind being exemplared down to help
players in missions I've already done several times. If I die on the
missions it doesn't really matter anymore. This guy just got under my
skin after I was polite.
April 12, 2005 9:55:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Rob" <googlerob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1113317402.147301.191840@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I can't believe the number of tells I get when I enter or exit a portal
> mission in PI... always asking to be PL'd. I love using the find
> feature after I get a tell to see what level they are. Never fails,
> they are always <20 in level.
>
> I had a level 8 beg me to group with him, here is how it went:
>
> Him: "I promise I will stay out of the way. I have really powerful
> holds."
>
> Me: "What level are you?"
>
> Him: "I'm a level 8, but when you SK me up I will be very powerful with
> my holds. I also have some debt I got when I tried to get here. :( "
>
> Me: I invited him to group and SK'd him.
>
> Him: The moron then asked, "Can I wait by the entrance? I have to
> eat dinner now, can I go AFK for about 30 minutes?"
>
> Me: "Yes, but just put yourself on follow so you don't get out of
> range."
>
> Him: "K"
>
> I then waited a couple of minutes and then walked into a room filled
> with L50+, un-SK'd him, sent him a tell saying "I don't power level
> AFK'rs" and then and then dropped him from the group. Let's just say
> he died and when he returned he wasn't too happy.
>
> Yea, I know that was mean, but I hate people looking for a free ride
> and have never played the game before and are just trying to get to 50
> so they can tell all of their friends they are "uber". Reminds me of a
> teenage cousin I have... his parents buy him tons of xbox/ps2 games and
> he always looks for the cheat codes online, so he can complete the game
> in a few hours.

How about saying no instead of being a DICK.

Dave
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:15:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Mulligan" <davewilson69@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
news:6YT6e.1159$VA3.1021@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

>
> "Rob" <googlerob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1113317402.147301.191840@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>> I can't believe the number of tells I get when I enter or exit a
>> portal mission in PI... always asking to be PL'd. I love using the
>> find feature after I get a tell to see what level they are. Never
>> fails, they are always <20 in level.
>>
>> I had a level 8 beg me to group with him, here is how it went:
>>
>> Him: "I promise I will stay out of the way. I have really powerful
>> holds."
>>
>> Me: "What level are you?"
>>
>> Him: "I'm a level 8, but when you SK me up I will be very powerful
>> with my holds. I also have some debt I got when I tried to get here.
>> :( "
>>
>> Me: I invited him to group and SK'd him.
>>
>> Him: The moron then asked, "Can I wait by the entrance? I have to
>> eat dinner now, can I go AFK for about 30 minutes?"
>>
>> Me: "Yes, but just put yourself on follow so you don't get out of
>> range."
>>
>> Him: "K"
>>
>> I then waited a couple of minutes and then walked into a room filled
>> with L50+, un-SK'd him, sent him a tell saying "I don't power level
>> AFK'rs" and then and then dropped him from the group. Let's just say
>> he died and when he returned he wasn't too happy.
>>
>> Yea, I know that was mean, but I hate people looking for a free ride
>> and have never played the game before and are just trying to get to
>> 50 so they can tell all of their friends they are "uber". Reminds me
>> of a teenage cousin I have... his parents buy him tons of xbox/ps2
>> games and he always looks for the cheat codes online, so he can
>> complete the game in a few hours.
>
> How about saying no instead of being a DICK.

Whoa, waitaminute: Why is he being a dick ? A lowbie first goes to a
zone that is clearly out of his level-range. Then he asks to team up
with a much higher level, when that higher level knows that a level 8,
even SK'ed, will have no where near the powers he's going to need to be
truly useful. Then, the biggest insult, as soon as they get in the
mission, the guy reneges on his promise to help out with his "really
powerful holds" and wants a PL by standing around and doing nothing in
game while he goes to eat.

The lvl 8 got what he deserved.



--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:55:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:15:24 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
<dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

> The lvl 8 got what he deserved.

Maybe so. All the same, I'm pretty sure the devs have said that
griefing a powerlevel-leecher is still considered griefing, and
actionable as such if the leecher complains.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:09:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
news:rpno515vqu1iasjc5odkp8cjgmlqq6sd03@4ax.com:

> They won't stop because it's annoying you, but they will stop
> doing something that ends up embarrassing them in front of their
> peers/friends.
>
> Xocyll

They have peers?

They have friends?

It would be nice (when CoV comes out) that after repeated blind
invites, you could have your counter-part to them just smack them
upside their head.

Repeatedly.

In public.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:09:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:09:22 GMT, J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net>
wrote:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>news:rpno515vqu1iasjc5odkp8cjgmlqq6sd03@4ax.com:
>
>> They won't stop because it's annoying you, but they will stop
>> doing something that ends up embarrassing them in front of their
>> peers/friends.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>They have peers?
>
>They have friends?
>
>It would be nice (when CoV comes out) that after repeated blind
>invites, you could have your counter-part to them just smack them
>upside their head.
>
>Repeatedly.
>
>In public.

Only if they consent to PvP. PvP in CoV, at last word, is going to be
purely consentual. That does include certain zones being made
specifically for PvP and entering those zones being consent, but, in
general, if someone doesn't wanna be smacked down, you can't smack 'em
down. :p 

It's pretty naive to think that killing someone in PvP will discourage
them from being an idiot, anyway. Most of the time, it only eggs them
on.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:48:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

I would say if someone is going to be AFK for more than 10/15 minutes,
you should quit the team. If you are really interested in
participating, you can rejoin the team when you come back.

But, what you did is griefing. It doesn't take 30 seconds to just tell
the guy: "If you're going AFK for 30 mins, I will have to boot you from
the team while we carry on, please /tell me when you have time to play
and I'll invite you back..."
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:49:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of
the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>news:rpno515vqu1iasjc5odkp8cjgmlqq6sd03@4ax.com:
>
>> They won't stop because it's annoying you, but they will stop
>> doing something that ends up embarrassing them in front of their
>> peers/friends.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>They have peers?

But of course, vermin always come in packs.

>They have friends?

Well, as close as they'll get anyway.

>It would be nice (when CoV comes out) that after repeated blind
>invites, you could have your counter-part to them just smack them
>upside their head.

Since I have less than zero interest in pvp...

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
April 13, 2005 3:06:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

I ended up apologizing to the guy yesterday. I saw him again at the
portals looking for help. Needless to say, he was only a level 9 now,
so it looks like he didn't have much success finding anyone else to
help him. A few people were actually teasing him in broadcast at the
time. I offered to exemplar down to his level to help fight in a zone
more appropriate for him (I usually only SK up SG members or close
friends). He wasn't interested in that and only wanted to do the
higher level missions because his friends told him he could get to
level 50 in about 5 days doing missions that way. I wished him luck
and went on my way. 5 days to 50, eh? I guess my casual playing since
last November was a little bit too long. :-)

Unless you are helping a player that has already worked their way up to
the higher levels or to 50 and is starting up a fresh toon, I find that
bringing a new player into the level 40+ missions really makes the game
boring when you get to that level, since you have already seen it all.
Plus, they never really learn how to play the game.

I wish people in this group didn't call me a dick or an ass, I feel
that is really harsh. Yes, this is griefing -- although I will admit
that thought didn't cross my mind when I originally did this. We all
do things that we sometimes wish we hadn't done later and in this case
I goofed and feel the situation is rectified now.
April 13, 2005 6:20:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Rob" <googlerob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1113339475.827765.169040@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I wasn't trying to be a Dick. I just hate people looking for a free
> ride. If he would have told me that he wanted to go AFK *BEFORE* we
> entered the mission, I would have told him I had no interest in
> powerleveling him and that he had to contribute somehow to the group.
> Granted, he probably wouldn't have been much help to me and I rarely
> help really low levels by doing a high level mission (I usually prefer
> to help by exemplaring down and fighting at their level -- adds a
> challenge as I laugh at the powers I had at that level)... but I was in
> a good mood since I just hit 50 a couple days ago. I had to log after
> the mission anyways, so I figured I'd just do one mission and tell him
> I had to go after we completed the mission. Unforunately the guy never
> gave me the chance and was just a leech. Of course, I probably could
> have just un-SK'd him and he wouldn't have got squat for XP, but
> something about this just p'd me off. And, at his level debt goes away
> pretty quick. I actually enjoy helping others and even visit the lower
> zones now that I'm 50 and don't mind being exemplared down to help
> players in missions I've already done several times. If I die on the
> missions it doesn't really matter anymore. This guy just got under my
> skin after I was polite.

Have you ever had a friend or guild help you PL a character in any way? I
have, I was standing in TV at too low a level just to see what the place
looked like and a guy come by and asked if I wanted some free exp while he
hunted...*ding!*... Sure! Got 3 or 4 levels really quick really made my day
since my guy was an alt and it didn't matter a whole lot that I missed a few
levels, I don't generally do that but I can see how some people can get
dependant on it. You can't blame the guy for wanting to be PLed, he just
didn't wake up one morning and have this great idea....others have PLed him
before and he likes the process. When he asked to go AFK you could've just
cut him loose and been on your way, I just don't see what you could've
gained from being a griefer other than the satisfaction and humor of
.....well let's face it, being an ass. Even though he might have possibly
deserved it, which is worse... Lazy leech or Griefer?

*Raise hand* Griefer....

Dave
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:06:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Maybe I should have specified... a spellcheck and an automatic capital
letter function for character names.


"Clem Clambake" <clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote in message
news:HxH6e.1025$VA3.462@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> ... is a spellcheck and an automatic capital letter function.
>
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:10:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Clem Clambake" <clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote:
> Let me clarify again. A spellcheck and an automatic capital letter
> function for use during character creation.

Ahhhhh. Yes. Seconded.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 38 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= RorShok: Level 8 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
April 14, 2005 2:44:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

> I wish people in this group didn't call me a dick or an ass, I feel
> that is really harsh. Yes, this is griefing -- although I will admit
> that thought didn't cross my mind when I originally did this. We all
> do things that we sometimes wish we hadn't done later and in this case
> I goofed and feel the situation is rectified now.

It was a bit harsh.....*poof* You're not a dick....or an ass :) 

Dave
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:58:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
news:Xns96379A667B4A8nitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44...
> "Clem Clambake" <clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote:
>> Let me clarify again. A spellcheck and an automatic capital letter
>> function for use during character creation.
>
> Ahhhhh. Yes. Seconded.

It may be just me, but few things make me crazier than seeing some guy
called "frosen waror" running down the street.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:56:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Clem Clambake" <Clem_Clambake@excite.coma> wrote:
> It may be just me...

It's not.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 38 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= RorShok: Level 8 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
April 14, 2005 10:15:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

>> Let me clarify again. A spellcheck and an automatic capital letter
function
for use during character creation. <<

.... and a leet speek detector ... and a word detector (to avoid names
like B O N E H E A D). :) 
April 14, 2005 11:55:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Oh no no no. Make it so that three refused invites in ten minutes
enables PvP. With no warning, and the inviter is teleported next to you,
and stunned for five minutes, and you get x5 damage, and +100% accuracy,
and a one use Warwolf whistle.

Yeah... That is what we need.
--
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:18:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:55:55 -0800, buser@heck.huh wrote:

>Oh no no no. Make it so that three refused invites in ten minutes
>enables PvP. With no warning, and the inviter is teleported next to you,
>and stunned for five minutes, and you get x5 damage, and +100% accuracy,
>and a one use Warwolf whistle.

*Grins and runs off with the damage/acc boost and WW whistle to go
solo an AV*

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:56:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Rob" <googlerob@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>> Let me clarify again. A spellcheck and an automatic capital letter
>function
>for use during character creation. <<
>
>... and a leet speek detector ... and a word detector (to avoid names
>like B O N E H E A D). :) 

And xX Bonehead Xx ?

And ...

I can see it now, player types name, hits enter and waits
and waits
and waits
and waits
and finally gets told, nope, unacceptable/taken

repeat process

The biggest problem of course is, spellcheck CAN'T work, because no
spellcheck can possibly know all the possible names that are valid.

IE my inv/em tanker Kraiisahka. The name isn't actually one I made up,
it's one I took from a David Weber book "The Shiva Option" - it's Orion
in origin.

It's spelled properly, but no spellcheck on the planet would say it was,
except maybe the one on David Weber's computer.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:40:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
news:2d4t51927b0o6olna2mrno9lvirtr8ivrh@4ax.com...
> "Rob" <googlerob@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>>> Let me clarify again. A spellcheck and an automatic capital letter
>>function
>>for use during character creation. <<
>>
>>... and a leet speek detector ... and a word detector (to avoid names
>>like B O N E H E A D). :) 
>
> And xX Bonehead Xx ?
>

I saw "Oo Champagne oO" (bubbler) I thought it was creative.

But what do I know?


--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent


"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 22 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:06:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

The ONLY way for it to work, is to have player names properly moderated
by humans, according to basic criteria:

1) Names must be capitalised properly. To use an example from above :
No fRoZeN WaRRioRs please.

2) No excessive numbers, spaces or special characters, so a character
called FrozenWarrior2000 would be allowed, but not F R O 2 3 N W@RR|OR

3) The main criteria should be : This is a SUPERHERO game, when did you
last hear of a superhero called "oo champagne oo", the names should
make sense when spoken as hero names, so the mods could alter names
like this (or give players several choices) to just "Champagne" or
"Champagne-O"?

4) Maximum string length of 20, and maximum 4 words.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:37:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"masonReloaded" <jonmason1977@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1113559588.600248.207750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> The ONLY way for it to work, is to have player names properly moderated
> by humans, according to basic criteria:
>
> 1) Names must be capitalised properly. To use an example from above :
> No fRoZeN WaRRioRs please.
>
> 2) No excessive numbers, spaces or special characters, so a character
> called FrozenWarrior2000 would be allowed, but not F R O 2 3 N W@RR|OR
>
> 3) The main criteria should be : This is a SUPERHERO game, when did you
> last hear of a superhero called "oo champagne oo", the names should
> make sense when spoken as hero names, so the mods could alter names
> like this (or give players several choices) to just "Champagne" or
> "Champagne-O"?

It's also a superhero GAME. It's a written as well as visual medium so
verbal wit or at least creativity ought be tolerated, even encouraged. Now
personally "F R 0 2 3 n W@RR|0R isn't the most creative thing I've ever seen
but "Frozen Warrior" was taken no later than two days after the game went
live. What's a guy to do?

And it works a free immaturity advertising, whih we wouldn't have if
everybody's name choices were forced into the sort of common mold you
suggest. You can't force mature behavior on them, just blunt immature
behaviour. I'd prefer the immature ones be free to advertise. Besides,
behaviour is mre important than name etiquette, as the "blind invite" topic
shows.

Did I mention I'm avoiding that topic because of the behaviour of some of
the posters?

Sure names are a forum for everybody's poor grammar and for all the other
oddities that come from hanging out with gamers and computer geeks. Since
that's the crowd that plays these games, it unavoidably goes with the
territory.


--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent


"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:21:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Vorlonagent wrote:
> Besides,
> behaviour is mre important than name etiquette, as the "blind invite"
topic
> shows.
>
> Did I mention I'm avoiding that topic because of the behaviour of
some of
> the posters?

Not talking about me by any chance? :p 

(If you are, the worst thing I said on it was to tell people to "get
over it!" Thats not particularly flamey or offensive - compared to the
language used by some other people on that thread.)
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:24:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Vorlonagent wrote:
> It's also a superhero GAME. It's a written as well as visual medium
so
> verbal wit or at least creativity ought be tolerated, even
encouraged. Now
> personally "F R 0 2 3 n W@RR|0R isn't the most creative thing I've
ever seen
> but "Frozen Warrior" was taken no later than two days after the game
went
> live. What's a guy to do?

Think of a different name? Frozen Soldier, Frozen The Barbarian, Ice
Cream Boy - :D 
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:03:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"masonReloaded" <jonmason1977@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
say:

>
>Vorlonagent wrote:
>> It's also a superhero GAME. It's a written as well as visual medium
>so
>> verbal wit or at least creativity ought be tolerated, even
>encouraged. Now
>> personally "F R 0 2 3 n W@RR|0R isn't the most creative thing I've
>ever seen
>> but "Frozen Warrior" was taken no later than two days after the game
>went
>> live. What's a guy to do?
>
>Think of a different name? Frozen Soldier, Frozen The Barbarian, Ice
>Cream Boy - :D 

Ahh, but you see that requires them to actually have an imagination and
a decent vocabulary.

Most of them seem about as capable as a retarded parrot in that regard.

Just look at the horrible names that refer directly to the powersets
(gun blaster, fire ice tank, etc) as well as the leet speek versions (or
L or 1 instead of I) or multiple letters (chrissssss).

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:19:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

Fair enough point, that I hadnt considered, having a pretty short
gaming career... :) 

Personally, if there was already someone with my preferred name, eg
Nightfall was taken, I would only go as far as trying Night Fall,
Nitefall, or Knightfall or similar before I picked something else, or
Nightfall2000 or something, but I certanily wouldnt ever go as far as
|\|16|-|7 F@||, (not that you would either, but some might).... These
extreme cases are what I'm talking about - but I agree that the "line"
between a slight modification to get the name you want, and excessive
L33T speak is hard to find...
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:59:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"masonReloaded" <jonmason1977@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1113909716.267557.267720@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Not talking about me by any chance? :p 

Nope.


> (If you are, the worst thing I said on it was to tell people to "get
> over it!" Thats not particularly flamey or offensive - compared to the
> language used by some other people on that thread.)

That was a reference to the general high hostility on that thread.

No reference to your personal conduct was intended.


--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent


"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 10:08:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
news:eks961p8e8kec6d5jj9nt6b1f6jvn6nu5u@4ax.com...
> "masonReloaded" <jonmason1977@gmail.com> looked up from reading the

>>Think of a different name? Frozen Soldier, Frozen The Barbarian, Ice
>>Cream Boy - :D 
>
> Ahh, but you see that requires them to actually have an imagination and
> a decent vocabulary.
>
> Most of them seem about as capable as a retarded parrot in that regard.
>
> Just look at the horrible names that refer directly to the powersets
> (gun blaster, fire ice tank, etc) as well as the leet speek versions (or
> L or 1 instead of I) or multiple letters (chrissssss).

Granted, "Frozen Warriror" is pretty bland and could be replaced, even
improved, with just a little effort and imagination. That's a valid point.

Sometimes another name won't do, however.

Having had a long gaming career, I sometimes want to build a CoH version of
one of those old gaming characters. When the character I want to represnt
is named "Nightfall", the question isn't what name I substitute, it's how I
get *that* name or close enough. (in my case, I did the old i, l
substitution)


--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent


"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:03:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"masonReloaded" <jonmason1977@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1113945556.880975.183180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Fair enough point, that I hadnt considered, having a pretty short
> gaming career... :) 
>
> Personally, if there was already someone with my preferred name, eg
> Nightfall was taken, I would only go as far as trying Night Fall,
> Nitefall, or Knightfall or similar before I picked something else, or
> Nightfall2000 or something, but I certanily wouldnt ever go as far as
> |\|16|-|7 F@||, (not that you would either, but some might).... These
> extreme cases are what I'm talking about - but I agree that the "line"
> between a slight modification to get the name you want, and excessive
> L33T speak is hard to find...

I have a character with a L33tspeak name too.

He's based on an NPC from a game I ran loosely based on Largo from
Megatokyo.

I call him LEET M45TR.

Once again, most cases of L33tspeak names you run across are cheap shortcuts
around actual creativity, but sometimes there IS a reason to even use l33t.

I try to cut the poor kiddies some slack anyways. It's all they know.


--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent


"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:17:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>
>"masonReloaded" <jonmason1977@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:1113945556.880975.183180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> Fair enough point, that I hadnt considered, having a pretty short
>> gaming career... :) 
>>
>> Personally, if there was already someone with my preferred name, eg
>> Nightfall was taken, I would only go as far as trying Night Fall,
>> Nitefall, or Knightfall or similar before I picked something else, or
>> Nightfall2000 or something, but I certanily wouldnt ever go as far as
>> |\|16|-|7 F@||, (not that you would either, but some might).... These
>> extreme cases are what I'm talking about - but I agree that the "line"
>> between a slight modification to get the name you want, and excessive
>> L33T speak is hard to find...
>
>I have a character with a L33tspeak name too.
>
>He's based on an NPC from a game I ran loosely based on Largo from
>Megatokyo.
>
>I call him LEET M45TR.

What, not Gr347 734ch3r?

Remember how I keep making my melee types female, small and cute.
[Issue4 will really let me get the look right.]

Phear the cute ones!

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:41:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
news:8eod61hfeatskb36ks7bc5nsgh2qgitkta@4ax.com...
> "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>
>>"masonReloaded" <jonmason1977@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:1113945556.880975.183180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>>> Fair enough point, that I hadnt considered, having a pretty short
>>> gaming career... :) 
>>>
>>> Personally, if there was already someone with my preferred name, eg
>>> Nightfall was taken, I would only go as far as trying Night Fall,
>>> Nitefall, or Knightfall or similar before I picked something else, or
>>> Nightfall2000 or something, but I certanily wouldnt ever go as far as
>>> |\|16|-|7 F@||, (not that you would either, but some might).... These
>>> extreme cases are what I'm talking about - but I agree that the "line"
>>> between a slight modification to get the name you want, and excessive
>>> L33T speak is hard to find...
>>
>>I have a character with a L33tspeak name too.
>>
>>He's based on an NPC from a game I ran loosely based on Largo from
>>Megatokyo.
>>
>>I call him LEET M45TR.
>
> What, not Gr347 734ch3r?

If you to stay true to both MT and the animae reference, you would
definitely want the name to be "Great Teacher Largo" (a reference to the
animae "Great Teacher Onizuka", whose first season is pretty funny)

My CoH character is named as he is because he is based on a NPC character I
created for a game I was running, which in turn was based on Largo's Quake
avatar. I named the NPC "L33T M45TR" so that's what I named the CoH
version.


--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent


"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
!