dustyhecker

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I have been unable to defrag my home computer (Windows XP service pack 2), which it seriously needs. i have tried both the Windows program and a third-party utility (Fix-It v. 9). each time i try, the computer indicates that chkdsk is scheduled to run and that i should first run chkdsk:/f. i then try to run chkdsk from "start" "run" and it does not recognize that program. it allows me to run chkdsk in read only more, which works until about midway through the second step when it encounters errore and states it must shut down. i've tried a few variants on chkdsk, such as "chkdskC:/f", and nothing seems to enable chkdsk to run. i read somewhere that i should try from a DOS window. i think i figured out how to do that, but have been unable to get chkdsk to run.

any ideas?

thanks.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
IF you get 3rd party software to run defrag, it should run from a DOS box, technically if there are any other programs running you can't defrag the disk as the running programs are accessing the HDD and corrupts the defrag process, as for the problem that you have, sorry to say but if you have the installation disk try to repair it, if that doesn't work reinstallation of the OS may be needed

dustyhecker

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

'fraid of that. Thanks.