PC goes into 'standby' after OCing / General OCing advice

SolitoN79

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hi

You could say I'm new to OCing -- known about the principles for awhile, but never tried them out in practice more than a little, so I could use some guidance.

I just used the Asus AI Booster utility to try OCing just a bit, to see how the system would respond...I increased the FSB from 1066 to about 1277 or something (don't remember exactly, but it was in the 1200s), which increased the clock speed to 3.077 GHz from 2.66 GHz, using a multiplier of 10.

I made 10 MHz increments, then clicked 'apply' each time...When I reached 2.9 GHz, everything locked up, so I reset, but when Windows loaded the utility hadn't reset the clock speed, which was still at 2.9 GHz and running fine now. So right here, my 1st question is why did the system lock up, then accept the new setting on a reboot? Is this normal?

Finally, after a few reboots, I decided to stop at 3.077 GHz and test everything out by playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The game was running like a dream, load times went down, and temperatures were ok. Then, the system suddenly went into standby. No idea why...Wasn't my doing, I checked -- the only way to go into standby is to press 'sleep', and I don't even a key mapped to that function...

Any ideas on what happened? Until I know, I'm reluctant to go further and start changing voltages and other things...

Here are my specs:

Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66 GHz w/ Big Typhoon VX cooler
Asus P5LD2 mobo
Kingston KVR 667 MHz 1 GB RAM chips (4 GB)
BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS OC (600 MHz) 640 MB
Two SATA HDs -- Maxtor 100 GB and Seagate 160 GB
SB Audigy sound card
Antec Phantom 500 PSU
Windows XP Pro SP2