CPU not taking over after video card maxes

TTMAN

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I recently built a new machine with a E4300 and 7600GT card. I've been playing C&C 3. But I alt tab back to the task manager and im only using around 50-60% cpu but i'm already lower then 30fps in the game. And if i put the resolution up very high the fps is like 15 but my cpu is not being used.

In the old days the cpu would make up the difference if your video card couldnt handle it. IS it jsut this game? Just bugs me i'm not getting the most out of my processor!

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
And if i put the resolution up very high the fps is like 15 but my cpu is not being used.
You get lower FPS, because the video card can't handle it. Also, at higher resolutions, the CPU is used less.

Nowadays, games don't use the CPU much at higher resolution.

TTMAN

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Thats pretty crappy! Another scheeme to get the public to buy a more expensive video card. I want my cpu to do more work! I might try a few other games and see what happens.

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
OK OK calm down a bit.
First, C&C3 has FPS cap of 30FPS witch means FPS will not go above 30FPS.OK?
Second, C&C does not design for Dual-Core CPUs, so your CPU usage should be around 50~60%.Got it?
Third, you need a better graphic card if you wish to stay at 30FPS at high-resolutions.Questions?
forth, your graphic card can not handle newer games at high-resolution so don't blame your CPU cause i`m dying to have that CPU! :evil:
fifth, time for a
67s261f.gif

TTMAN

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I know the game is designed to max at 30fps.

It would have been cool if the game was designed for dual core or two cpus. That would make all the difference! :D

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Thats pretty crappy! Another scheeme to get the public to buy a more expensive video card. I want my cpu to do more work! I might try a few other games and see what happens.
You really can't.

The CPU isn't made/can't to render graphics well, so at higher settings/resolutions, the GPU's load increases as there is more rendering to do.

I recently built a new machine with a E4300 and 7600GT card. I've been playing C&C 3. But I alt tab back to the task manager and im only using around 50-60% cpu but i'm already lower then 30fps in the game. And if i put the resolution up very high the fps is like 15 but my cpu is not being used.

That seems to indicate C&C 3 is not a multi-threaded game. Only multi-threaded games can take advantage of more than one core. What's probably happening is C&C 3 is maxing out one core, which means 50% for a dual core (25% if you had a quad core). The other core is taking over some of the background tasks.

The best thing to do is to look at C&C 3 benchmarks and see if your 7600GT is under performing.

EDIT: Nevermid. My response got beaten 'cause I had to do a quick analysis at work.

TTMAN

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
don't blame your CPU cause i`m dying to have that CPU!

Ok thanks guys, I did overclock my CPU from 1.8 to 2.4ghz with just a pin mod on the chip itself. Running a lot faster. Didn't even have to change the voltage or anything. 43c idle and 58c both cores at 90%.

worst comes to worst I can buy a better heatsink and fan and bump it up to 2.8-3.0ghz. E4300 rocks ;)

But yeah, the cpu is not really ment to run the rendering of the game but it can help ;)

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
eh, CPU can't take over for GFX rendering at all. You could easily create a game that would only use 1% of your CPU while bogging your GFX card down to 1fps.

TTMAN

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I have an XFX 7600GT, i looked for overclocking in the display nvida settings but there wasnt the memory and gpu sliders for it. How do i go about overclocking?