XP pro will not chkdsk after improper shutdown.

June 5, 2005 4:24:31 PM

Found out by accident. My XP pro won't run chkdsk after improper
shutdown.

I have installed to many new software since my last improper shutdown
so I do not know if these have anything to do with it.

Help.

ABC
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:24:32 PM

Hi,

Insert the WinXP CD and restart the system to boot from it, you want to load
the Recovery Console by hitting 'r' when first prompted. Run "chkdsk C: /r"
from there. If prompted for autochk.exe, indicate C:\Windows\system32.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"ABC" <ABC@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Found out by accident. My XP pro won't run chkdsk after improper
> shutdown.
>
> I have installed to many new software since my last improper shutdown
> so I do not know if these have anything to do with it.
>
> Help.
>
> ABC
June 5, 2005 11:33:02 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 07:06:09 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrotd:

>Hi,
>
>Insert the WinXP CD and restart the system to boot from it, you want to load
>the Recovery Console by hitting 'r' when first prompted. Run "chkdsk C: /r"
>from there. If prompted for autochk.exe, indicate C:\Windows\system32.

Will this just chkdsk once, or will it solve the problem?

ABC
June 5, 2005 11:33:03 PM

Hi,

That will just run chkdsk once. If the system tries to run chkdsk at every
boot, then open a command prompt (start/run cmd) and run "chkntfs /d" to
clear the dirty bit that prompts it.

--

> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 07:06:09 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
> <rick@mvps.org> wrotd:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Insert the WinXP CD and restart the system to boot from it, you want to
>>load
>>the Recovery Console by hitting 'r' when first prompted. Run "chkdsk C:
>>/r"
>>from there. If prompted for autochk.exe, indicate C:\Windows\system32.
>>

> Will this just chkdsk once, or will it solve the problem?
>

> ABC
June 6, 2005 11:54:19 AM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 08:35:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrotd:

>That will just run chkdsk once. If the system tries to run chkdsk at every
>boot, then open a command prompt (start/run cmd) and run "chkntfs /d" to
>clear the dirty bit that prompts it.

My problem is that XP will NOT run chkdsk after improper shutdown. How
can I restore this function?

ABC
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:26:23 PM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 07:54:19 +0800, ABC wrote:

> My problem is that XP will NOT run chkdsk after improper shutdown. How
> can I restore this function?

Chkdsk does not run after every improper shutdown. It only runs if an
inconsistency is found during the auto-check that occurs at startup. If no
inconsistency is found, chkdsk is skipped and Windows proceeds with the
boot. If you want extra assurance that all is okay, run chkdsk manually as
already described in this thread.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:26:23 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrotd:

>Chkdsk does not run after every improper shutdown. It only runs if an
>inconsistency is found during the auto-check that occurs at startup. If no
>inconsistency is found, chkdsk is skipped and Windows proceeds with the
>boot. If you want extra assurance that all is okay, run chkdsk manually as
>already described in this thread.

Thank you, thankyou. That makes my feel so much better.

But running "chkntfs /d "(as advised by Rick) would not hurt even if
my machine is "normal", right?

ABC
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:35:03 AM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:35:02 +0800, ABC wrote:

> But running "chkntfs /d "(as advised by Rick) would not hurt even if
> my machine is "normal", right?

Right. :)
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I have the same problem, except that I am fairly sure that the auto function is not working because there are errors, I know this because when I run it manually it has errors even though it did not initiate during boot.

It seems that the function has stopped working so i guess my question would be how can I find out if it is working or not, automatically I mean, I already know that chkdsk works cos I can run it manually.

Further I ran chkdsk /f from the Run command prompt within XP so that it would give me the option to run during next boot as it can't run in the XP shell, then I rebooted and still it did not run so im just wondering if there is a switch for auto run on improper shutdown.

I thought it may be in the Bios but I can't see any option there.

I suspect the original question was getting at the same point but now thinks he/she has no errors as chdsk is not coming on when infact they probably are building a whole host of errors and is he/she unaware.

Great if anyone can help but please read the above carefully before answering,

mozzi
July 21, 2009 5:03:49 AM

Actually My Core 2 dual is become very slow it has 160 gb Maxtor hard disk and 2 BG ram. But still it hangs a loot. I have cleaned install windows XP 2 many times but the problem is not solved. even I have formated the entire hard disk but no responce.

In the start the startup of windows where Windows XP logo is show, my system takes a loot of time to load that and the lines continuesly goes and that takes around 5 minutes. then all programs hangs very badly,

I run chkdsk to many time but no bad sectors issues as well.

plzz help me...
!