mrhoohah

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Greetings!
I tried to install Unreal Tournament 3 in Windows XP Pro SP3 a few times, and each time after a few seconds of the Ageia section of the installation preparing to install, I get a lovely little BSOD:

======
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE293B900, 0xC000000E, 0xBf9171EF, 0x4D312860)

win32k.sys - Address BF9171EF base at BF800000, DateStamp 49e87572
======

I looked up the error on MSDN and they insist it's either a bad RAM error or bad hard drive error, however:
1.) Memtest86 says my RAM is clean.
2.) It only happens when installing UT3.
3.) It happens regardless of which of my 3 hard drives I try to install to.

Any ideas? Any more info needed?

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
An Inpage error is caused by either RAM or Page File problems.
If you have the required minimum amount of RAM, and the RAM is OK, run a full check (structure and surface scan) on the drive which holds the page file, it's also checking the page file size.

mrhoohah

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Okay, update:
Ran another RAM test to be sure, and it was clean; however, while in the memory test I noticed I'm suddenly missing a quarter of a gig. What happened?

Ran a chkdsk from the recovery console, and now it takes 15 minutes for XP to start up; right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties shows nothing more than the operating system and my new amount of 1.75 gigs of RAM, no processor info or anything; right-clicking on my C: drive and selecting Properties shows it has a maximum capacity of 0 bytes with 2 terabytes free (it's a 160 gig drive); I can't install anything because the Windows Installer service is knocked out; and looking into Control Panel > Administrative Services > Services shows nothing but a glitched-out browser window that nothing can be done inside of. Clearly, I have a hard drive problem. However, how did CHKDSK do THIS?

If you didn't run chkdsk with any options, it couldn't have done it. My guess is you have a bad sector(s) on one of your HD's (likely the one showing 0 bytes capacity).

Try removing that drive. If it's your boot drive, install windows on another drive. See if you still have the problem.

mrhoohah

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Oh, no, it was ran with /r, sorry. Anyway, it was definitely the hard drive, though I can't figure out why I'm consistently missing 1/4 gig of RAM whether I have one or two 1-gig chips in. I never altered any memory options in the BIOS, and there isn't much for that sort of thing in my BIOS in the first place.

Secondly, please oh PLEASE tell me there are ways to use .reg files outside of Windows.