Aono

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
This is not a new build just an upgrade question, sorry if this is the wrong place.

Just wondering if I can squeeze one more upgrade into my ancient comp before I give in and buy a whole new rig.

Current spec:

P4 2.8Ghz
1GB 2700
GF 6800 128mb AGP
Abit IT7-MAX2V2.0 mobo
Everything else is good, .8TB hdd space, decent PSU, drives, case etc.

Do you think it would be worth upgrading the gfx card to this? Bearing in mind my mobo can only do 4x AGP not 8x (Although I've been told this makes very little difference). Will the P4 bottleneck the x1950xt?

Maybe another 1gb 2700? That'll be about £50, so about £190 with the gfx card, worth it?

Not much else I can do without a new mobo, and if I'm getting a new mobo then I might as well do everything else at the same time.

Or should I just hold off now until I can get a new rig?

Jdm240sx

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
i would hold off on for another rig but the best thing you can do to your current pc is add more ram

buying another graphic card for your agp slot is not worth it
agp is dying just like ide :lol:

chief5286

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I'm going to disagree with the ram purchase UNLESS you need the extra ram. Are you running anything that uses more than a gig of ram? Even for gaming in most instances, with the card you have, an extra gig won't give you much. Some other memory intensive apps would benefit though, so it depends on what you do.

A new GPU would probably give you a decent peformance increase in game, but personally, I would not upgrade at this time. If you have all the other crap, a new mobo/cpu/ram purchase is only a few hundred bucks. Save for that and you will have many more and much better GPUs from which to pick.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Thirded. Save that money and put it toward a new system. You'll end up spending so much money to upgrade that ends up being a waste down the loo. Bite the bullet for a bit longer, then go up to a cheap dual core AMD, 2 gigs cheap DDR2 RAM, decent PCI-e GPU, and a better PSU to handle the power. You'll be ALOT happier in the end.

Aono

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks for the advice guys. :p

Thing is I probably won't build a new pc for quite a while yet, and I will spend quite a bit when I do. So I just need something keep me going till then, and the x1950xt seems pretty good value at that price (£140 ~ $275 ~ €206)?

Also I saw this, which is a little cheaper still. If I were to get one, should I go for the X1950Pro 512MB or X1950XT 256MB?