chrisliando

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Hi I am trying to share Internet connection through a
W-LAN.

The device I am trying to connect are a Windows Mobile
6 Professional Edition PDA phone and a Notebook. The
notebook is connected through Internet via NIC and the
Internet connection type is CABLE / ADSL.

Is it possible to connect to the notebook directly
from my PDA Phone (via W-LAN) and get connected to the
Internet?

How to do that?

Please give me the information of establishing the
connection in detailed steps.

If I need additional device(wireless router / etc),
please give me the information too

Thank you very much.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Hi chrisliando! There are several ways to do this, but I suggest using a wireless router config. This assumes that you will or have a wireless router.

Here are the steps:)

1) Obtain a wireless router which will share your Internet connection via, you guessed it, wireless broadcast. For intrsuctions on setting up wireless security, which I demand you do for your own security, please look here > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

2) Enable DHCP on your wireless router (99.9% of all commercial home routers come with this enabled) This provides IP-enabled devices the ability to obtain an IP address automatically from your router and therefore the default gateway(your router) settings which your IP-enabled device will go to as its "next hop" if it can't find the address locally.

3) Now, providing your WM6 device is Wi-Fi enabled, on your phone go to Start > Settings > "Connections" tab > Wi-Fi

4) From here your phone should automatically search for devices if the wireless NIC (network interface card) is enabled. If it doesn't seem to be showing the available wireless networks, click "Search for Networks". At this point, your phone should ask you if you want to enable the Wi-Fi card, say "Yes".

5) Once your phone finds the name of the network, highlight it and it will take you to the next screen which will allow you to enter the network login credentials, provided you read your wireless router's documentation and took it's advice to set up some kind of security.

6) If you've entered your credential information correctly, you should now be able to connect your WM6 device to your own home wireless Internet connection, drastically improving speeds!

~Brandon James Clark
SysAdmin

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PURCHASE A HOME WIRELESS ROUTER OR IF YOUR WM6 DEVICE DOES NOT SUPPORT WI-FI YOU COULD USE YOUR PHONE AS A MODEM > http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyourphone/a/cellmodem.htm