Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WinXP Pro SP2 installation repeatedly fails on new i7 build

Last response: in Windows XP
July 22, 2009 4:11:11 PM

**** Edits - July 23 at 2:40 pm eastern *****

1) While I originally started with XP SP2, now I have a XP SP3 CD, with the SATA drivers successfully incorporated via nLite. SAME PROBLEM, even with the BIOS and XP Setup recognizing the HDDs on SATA ports instead of IDE channels.

2) I downloaded the Windows 7 Beta 64 bit, got thru the install to the point of "Updating Registry" and then the system lost power as with XP and did a soft restart.

I am currently downloading to Ubuntu Linux to see if that also fails, at which point I definitely know I have a hardware issue. The question is: Which component?

I am leaning towards PSU, with mobo in second. Please any insight from the pros would help.

******** End edits. ******

Hi all,
I humbly ask if anyone can shed some light on what might be the root of my prob. I have built my previous two systems, and I just put together a new system consisting of the following components:
gigabyte x58 ud4p mobo (rev 1.0, BIOS version F8)
i7 920 proc
6GB (3x2gb sticks) OCZ gold memory
zalman zm-750hp power supply
4 wd caviar hdds (1x500gb caviar blue, the rest caviar black, 2x750gb and 1 tb)
gigabyte radeon hd4550 video card
sony ide dvd burner
all in a cooler master cosmos 1000 case

I disabled all peripherals in the bios and used only ps2 mouse and keyboard. The hard drives are set to legacy IDE mode. The CPU and memory clocks are set to the default.
The install process goes smoothly through the initial copying of files and subsequent reboot. Then into the GUI portion of the install, through the "Installing Devices" phase, then "Installing Network", "Copying Files", "Performing Configuration", and finally "Completing Installation". Then at the 24 minutes remaining mark, or so, while in the "Completing Installation" stage, the machine suddenly shuts down, and reboots.
***Edit: When it reboots, the BIOS posts, then the screen just goes black and hangs there indefinitely. ****Edit
Then, if I manually restart it again, the BIOS posts and it says "Setup is restarting" then gets to the same spot and reboots. It will not go past there.
I have experimented over the last two days, using one memory stick only, 2 sticks. Using only one HDD. The BIOS sees all HDDs at all times, by the way, and also the memory is seen perfectly upon POST. I have tried the install on 3 of the four drives that I have, into 110gb partitions, and a 350gb partition as well.
I have gone in to repair the install via the install CD when prompted, and it recopies a bunch of files but then tells me that it could not set the configuration and to contact my system administrator. I understand this indicates some hardware incompatibility, but I cannot figure out what it might me.
I have also started setup in Safe Mode to disable restart upon error, but it still restarted just the same. I looked at the setuplog.txt file, and it doesn't show any obvious error, like it's just going along, item by item, when it suddenly stops, as if taken by surprise.
I apologize for the super long message, but I am totally baffled. Any idea which component might be the culprit? Is it the power supply? Is this mobo/chipset too new for this older XP CD that I have had for years? Do I need to enable AHCI on the drives using the drivers provided by the mobo?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advan
July 22, 2009 8:35:54 PM

If you don't have any IDE HD's, then yes, change the IDE to AHCI or RAID.

You can just leave it run without doing anything on it. If it still restarts, it could be a temp problem. However, since it's always restarting at the same point in the installation, I don't think it's the temps.
m
l
July 22, 2009 8:57:19 PM

Thanks for the response. Since I posted I have confirmed that the memory is good after running memtest86 for a few hours, no errors. I am currently using nlite to create a modified install CD that includes the intel and gigabyte ahci drivers, and when I do I will adjust the BIOS and attempt to install again.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2009 9:11:30 PM

Good luck, keep us posted.
m
l
July 23, 2009 12:18:42 AM

Thanks again.

In the past few hours, I successfully created a modified WinXP boot CD, adding the mobo's SATA drivers and changed the BIOS settings to AHCI. The drives are now recognized as being on the various SATA buses, and the install program sees the drives.

However, the exact problem occurs. During the "completing installation" phase at around 24 minutes, it just powers off, then reboots. After reboot and Bios post, the screen remains black, but my monitor has full power, not shutting down into power saver mode and changing its LED color, as it does when the computer is powered off but monitor remains on.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.
m
l
July 23, 2009 2:03:09 AM

Try the Windows 7 RC... 64-bit version. Installing 32-bit XP on a system with more than 4GB of RAM is a waste of the extra RAM. See if your results are any different with a newer OS.
m
l
July 23, 2009 3:04:32 AM

Zoron said:
Try the Windows 7 RC... 64-bit version. Installing 32-bit XP on a system with more than 4GB of RAM is a waste of the extra RAM. See if your results are any different with a newer OS.

Hi Zoron,
Thanks for posting. I do understand that 32 bit XP will not see more than 4GB, and in the future my idea is to migrate to Windows 7 64 bit, as it is getting nice word of mouth and promises to be the best option in the future for my needs. This box is my DAW, and my audio software currently needs to run on XP 32 bit to remain stable.

I might just download the Windows 7 64 bit beta and install it just to verify that I don't have a hardware issue. But it would be only to eliminate my power supply/other hardware as the problem, and confirm that the problem lies with XP 32-bit and its inability to handle the newer hardware. When it comes to day-to-day music production, I still need to stay within the reliable world of XP 32bit, as I have lots of work to do. I just wanted to finally move beyond my old P4 machine.

Now, having gotten XP to recognize the SATA drives as SATA, and having confirmed that my memory is good, I really don't know how to determine if my power supply is spiking in a bad way, or if the mobo has some strange issue, or if my video card is causing some prob. I obviously haven't even installed my 2 PCI cards: RME hammerfall audio card and Netgear wireless networking card.

Any other opinions about possible causes of my problems are welcome. Thanks, people.

Mateo
m
l
July 23, 2009 3:24:07 AM

Best way to eliminate the PS as the cause is to try another PS. Not necessarily the easiest or the cheapest, but still the best. If you suspect the PS at all, get a known good one to test with.
m
l
July 23, 2009 9:51:11 PM

Update: I ran the Windows 7 beta 64 bit install to see if my situation had to do with the older 32 bit XP not able to handle my newer hardware, but when I got to "Updating Registry", the box suddenly performs a soft reset, just as occurred during the XP install.

When Windows 7 prompts me upon reboot to repair, it cannot find any problem.

More and more I am suspecting some hardware problem, but I can't decide if it is the power supply (after all, it does suddenly lose power and reset) or perhaps the motherboard (although everything else mobo-related appears to be perfectly functional).

I am about to install a linux distro to see if it fails, in which case I will be convinced that I have a hardware problem. The question is, WHICH HARDWARE component is it? My guess is PSU, then perhaps mobo.

Any ideas? Thanks again community.

Mateo.
m
l
July 24, 2009 4:38:37 AM

Ubuntu linux 9.04, 64-bit installs perfectly on first try. Now I'm more confused. My problem must lie in the Windows (XP 32bit and 7 64 bit) software, right? Because if it were hardware, wouldn't it have failed with linux as well?
m
l
July 27, 2009 3:42:02 AM

Not necessarily... each OS has it's own way of taxing the hardware. Linux may not be doing something that Windows did.
m
l
August 4, 2009 2:34:46 AM

Hi,

I have been having the exact same problem with my new core i7 system. Even the timing is the same.

Here are my specs so we can tell the PC's apart.

Silverstone DT-SST-FT01 Black ATX case with Window
Zalman" ZM750-HP Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 MB
Intel i7-920 Core i7 CPU, 2.66 GHz
Corsair TR3X6G1600C8 6GB (3x 2GB MXS3) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3
WD Raptor 150GB SSD HDD
XFX Geforce GTX285 896MB Video Card
Pioneer 218 DVD Burner
Windows XP Pro SP2 & SP3

I have had it tested from my distributor and they supposedly got it working but as soon as I got it back I couldn't install windows.

From what I have been reading could it be the power supply as well?
m
l
August 11, 2009 6:07:10 PM

Hello everyone, here's an update:

PROBLEM SOLVED: It was the power supply. I discovered this after RMA'ing the motherboard and receiving a replacement, and swapping out all other components. Today as a last resort before throwing it all out the window I went and bought an Antec EA-650 650w psu, and was able to quickly complete the WinXP installation.

Thanks to everyone who spent some time trying to help.
m
l

Best solution

August 12, 2009 3:17:07 AM

mateo said:
Hello everyone, here's an update:

PROBLEM SOLVED: It was the power supply. I discovered this after RMA'ing the motherboard and receiving a replacement, and swapping out all other components. Today as a last resort before throwing it all out the window I went and bought an Antec EA-650 650w psu, and was able to quickly complete the WinXP installation.

Thanks to everyone who spent some time trying to help.

Guess what!

I sent the PC back to the distributor today and the PC failed on him. He changed the power supply to the Gigabyte 800W and it works perfectly.

finally I get my kick ass PC!
October 21, 2012 2:10:27 PM

Hi
I've had the same problem when I build a hi-demand PC and try to load windows.
I try everything from changing memory sticks, to a different CD/.DVD drive, Hard DXrive, etc., etc!!!
Power supply is (or for me was) the answer!!!
It seems that when the CPU fan (it runs intermittenly on some MOBOs) or for trhe most part, the hard drive motor kicks in, (remember, the more memory, the less the hard drive has to run to download and install any given program, and when the system DOES NEED more space, it has to dump data to the hard drive to be able to collect more data into RAM to process.

When this happens, the hard drive AND THE CD/DVD drive motors obviously 'turn on', creating a load on the power supply (which is probably maxed out with all your other crap (like mine). I used to install fans on my hard drives, which only put even more demand on the power supply.
Its just too much for the system's power supply. Best to install stuff with ALL YOUR crap disconnected until you yet the rig up and running. All this is assuming you've got a couple of CD/DVD drives, a couple of hard drives, a few fans, a huge video card & fan, etc!!!
Whatever, it has always hung up the same way as your's did, and it always turned out to be the power supply!!!
Now this isn't to say the power supply was bad. It only says that when it page files, it's demanding too much on the power supply at any given time (running the hard drive motor, running your MOBO periferals, running your video fan, case fans, CD/DVD motors, etc.

BUT... you are best suited to go with a 400 wat PS. Any larger and your burning energy when you "might not" need it (or you may), depending on your system

hope this helps in the future.
m
l
!