Sign in with
Your question

Disappearing files after properties edit in windows 7

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
August 10, 2011 7:59:49 PM

Hello,
this may be similar to some of the problems already mentioned but: we are editing images as we have done thousands of times before but today for some reason when we hit it he apply button the image file disappears. We can restore the file but everytime today we try to edit the properties of the file, it disappears when apply the edits.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 10, 2011 11:13:00 PM

What software are you using to edit the file, and what properties specifically are you changing?
m
l
August 31, 2011 10:10:56 AM

reneandcarol said:
Hello,
this may be similar to some of the problems already mentioned but: we are editing images as we have done thousands of times before but today for some reason when we hit it he apply button the image file disappears. We can restore the file but everytime today we try to edit the properties of the file, it disappears when apply the edits.

I am hoping you have resolved the problem?
Yesterday, my wife was rotating images in Windows 7 Explorer, and they vanished.
Today, I was tagging images on the family PC, and they too have gone - a whole file

Taking advice from another forum, I wondered if the files were 'hidden' and they were. I revealed them by following the following:

To see hidden files, open windows explorer > organise > folder and search options > view > show hidden files then click apply.

But now, although they appear, they are geyed out.

What next?

William
m
l
Related resources
a c 354 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 2:44:19 PM

Select the files you have issues with, righ-click on them to get to the Properties, and change them to be not hidden, and not read-only. They are a different color because Windows will make hidden files it is showing a lighter shade than regular files.

What you did will show you the files, but you really want to remove the hidden tag from them.
m
l
August 31, 2011 4:04:01 PM

Thank you, Hang-the-9. But if I rotate the image, it goes back to its greyed out state. I can restore it by following your guidelines, but why is it being hidden at all?
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
August 31, 2011 4:10:59 PM

Is it located in a hidden folder maybe? If you save the file, it will inherit the top folder properties.
m
l
!