Dhcp configuarations

Status
Not open for further replies.

aby69

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
my server has one NIC card which goes to a basic switch, (3com 8port)

ip : 192.168.10.5
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default GW : (blank)
prefereed DNS : 192.168.10.5
alternate DNS : (blank)

still i could not get through my switch from my laptop computer
however, i put in a static address in the laptop which was in the range of the scope (192.168.10.10 to 192.168.10.20) i put in 192.168.10.13
i recieved connectivity clear and i could ping the server and the server could ping my laptop too.
but DHCP was not doing what it is meant to do. it shows not connected. when i double click it then shows running and active. but it wont assign IP addresses automatically as it should.

atleast i know my cable and my switch are okay.
now what is not right?
could you help please?

aby69

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
thanx for the care and reply.
i dont have a router, its just an HP convertible minitower with one NIC card that connects to the switch which switch connects other users. but since am in a lab trying to make things work before deployment, am struck at this point where the DHCP wont assigna addresses automatically.

i have so far given roles for DC, DNS and DHCP only. icant go anywhere else before i figure this out,
please help

So where is your DHCP server? Are you running Windows Server, if so which version, and have configured a DHCP server on that? If so, what do the event logs tell you.

You really need to help other help you by giving a few more details of your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.