Vista Complete PC Backup and Restore

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
May laptop has two internal hard drives, C:\ and D:\. When I go to use Vista Complete PC Backup and Restore, it selects D:\ (data) as well as C:\. How can I get it just to select C:\? Thanks.

Assuming C is the OS and applications disk, system backups can not be saved to this system 'boot' drive, so C is not available as a backup 'save' drive. System backups require a 'data' disk either internal or external (USB) drive or 'burn to disk' DVD to serve as a save location.

EDIT: If you have or can purchase an external usb hard drive, it will serve as a drive for storing system backups when using the Vista Back up and restore. Note, your laptop does not have 2 internal hard drives. One hard drive divided into two partitions.

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hi Badge.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I have two physical 320GB Seagate internal 2.5" hard drives, C:\ (OS and Applications), and D:\ Data. I also have an old 200 GB external USB hard drive (Maxtor) that I want to back just C:\ up to. However, when I go to use Vista's Complete PC Backup and Restore feature, it goes to select both C:\ and D:\.

The files and data on C:\ would fit, but there is not enough room for both C:\ and D:\ at the same time. I just did a reformat and reload (which takes about two full days, with everything I have) and thought it would be nice to do a disk image of a fresh install of everything on C:\.

I can buy a bigger external USB hard drive to disk image to, but I just thought I would try to get it to work on this 200GB USB drive first. Ideas?

Thanks.

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
It's just a Dell E1720. It came with one internal HDD, but it had a spare bay. I had to scrounge the parts to put the second HDD in, because Dell actually would not sell them to me.

My issue is that between C and D, there is more than 200GB of data. If I can just get it to image C:\ to the external HDD, (and not D:\), it will fit. Can I do that? Thanks.

If I can just get it to image C:\ to the external HDD, (and not D:\), it will fit. Can I do that? Thanks.

I use Vista 64 Ultimate. The backup and Restore center with Ultimate is different than my Vista Home premium Back up and restore center. Sure, I back up my C drive (OS/APPs) and exclude the D drive (storage) all the time. I back up C to D (without including D my storage driive). I included a shot of my Vista Ultimate 64 backup and restore opening options.

restoreeeee.jpg

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Sorry if I did not include enough information. I have Vista Business 32 on this box.

The Backup and Restore Center looks the same. The only thing is that "Where To Save Files" comes up as "External USB (I:)" (which is what I want). But then, when I proceed, it includes both C and D (and I want only C).