Killed A Partition... and My Computer Died Too!

In the process of networking my desktop and laptop, I noticed that my laptop had been previously partitioned... an extra "D" drive existed, with about 1.7 gigs of storage. I checked to see if there was anything located on it, and since nothing came up, I felt it fine to deactivate it.

And now my computer won't boot. Bum-bum-BUUMMM.

I changed the "Workgroup" name, and the computer wanted to restart itself so I went ahead with it... and since then, I've only got error message telling me "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem." I can get into the BIOS (and the computer is still set to boot via the hard-drive, not the LAN), but I can't seem to get or find anything that will get my computer back.

All I really need to do is get it to a point where I can do a system restore to about an hour ago... but I can't even get into safe mode, and all my recovery discs just want to re-install Windows XP, not actually boot XP so I can do something.

Please help!
3 answers Last reply
More about killed partition computer died
  1. UPDATE: I was able to find a boot disk online, and use that to bring the computer back. So now it's running again, but only because of the boot disk.

When I go into Disk Management, I can see the current active hard drive and the former partition, which is labeled "Unallocated." Is there anyway to "re-allocate" that partition, without re-formatting or damaging the information (which apparently has the boot information) already there (assuming I didn't already screw it up)?

While it's running, I'm going to save everything I need (not that there's much), and take screen shots of my layouts, just in case I have to do a clean re-install... but hopefully I can fend that off.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
  2. you reassign the drive and all the info is gone, the only hope is to do a restore to an earlier time, Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, and pick a time before this started, MAYBE you can save the info that way, but all in all I'd say it's gone
  3. number13 said:
    you reassign the drive and all the info is gone, the only hope is to do a restore to an earlier time, Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, and pick a time before this started, MAYBE you can save the info that way, but all in all I'd say it's gone

Good suggestion... I tried it last week, but sadly, nada.

Here is the end of my sad tale:

I was able to bring the computer back for a while using the boot disc... and because of it, I was able to save all my stuff onto an external hard drive. I tried Window's recovery program, but because the partition was no longer there, it said it couldn't bring it back. Bummer.

I found a free program from downloads.com, and attempted to do a recovery... but that only messed things up further. After that, I did a re-boot, and got a message that my hal.dll file was gone or corrupted. I attempted to do some things to fix that, but after a while it became apparent that the time to through in the towel had arrived.

The laptop has since been re-formatted, re-partitioned, and re-installed. Now, I just have to set things up the way there were set up... annoying, but not impossible.

Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Laptops Computers Windows XP