abit AW9D-MAX and VISTA?

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I'm not sure if I should put this in the hardware or OS section, but here goes. Does anyone know if the AW9D-MAX is 100% Vista capable?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
There are no Vista chipset drivers available at the Abit website for your P975 motherboard.
Run the Microsoft Vista Upgrade Adviser and see what it says.
Why would you want to run Vista anyway?

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
First of all I don't go through ABIT for my drivers, and second of all I go through their global site that has everything, unlike the US website. Also 975x doesn't care if you have Vista or XP or whatever.

What I want to know is if there is anyone who also has the AW9D-Max that's running Vista.

The reason I'm looking at Vista is because it's sort of an inevitable change over and I thought I'd look into what I'd have to do to go over to Vista.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
OK, the global website does have Vista drivers. It's not just the northbridge that counts here. If you use the most up-to-date drivers then your board is Vista compatible. The Vista "experience" has nothing to do with your particular motherboard unless drivers don't work.

All you have to do to get Vista is pay. I agree that it is inevitable, but I will wait at least until SP1 if not later to change.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Sorry for sounding so cocky earlier, I didn't mean it like that.

I might change over to Vista sometime this fall since I need a new hard drive(pending sectors and all). I figure by then I might get a P35 board but if my AW9D-Max is good I might keep that. The #1 thing that concerns me is the AbitGURU. Not sure if you're familiar with it but it's like a bios chip add on that interacts with the OS. I've seen an update for the software that runs it but nothing for the hardware....I dunno....I might just get the P35 or something that I know is 100% Vista capable. Money isn't really an issue but I've been in the tech section for long enough to know that things like SLI, and Crossfire aren't worth the money. I know that they yield better performance but that performance is only top of the line for about 6-12 months, so why bother.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If you can live without using AbitGURU by just going through the normal Setup routine before the OS starts, then it won't matter. If you must use it, then it's a crap-shoot whether it will even run. E-mail Abit and ask them. They will know. The GURU is just a feature. You don't need it, but it's nice to have.

I can't find any reason to run Vista until M$oft stops supporting XP. Maybe when they work the bugs out and more DX10 software becomes enticing I'll change my mind.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Yeah, I'm not really 100% sure since it's so tied in with the bios. Any overclocking I do is through the bios, and the Guru software reads temps alot lower than the actual so I'm not overly concerned about using it but rather about it screwing up Vista stuff.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
The #1 thing that concerns me is the AbitGURU. Not sure if you're familiar with it but it's like a bios chip add on that interacts with the OS. I've seen an update for the software that runs it but nothing for the hardware...
The hardware itself needs nothing to work & feed info to the BIOS.
Only if you are using the Windows uGuru GUI do you need a driver/software & the latest versions are Vista compatible.
So yes, the AW9D is good to go for Vista.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
That's no fun. You will end up with a Celeron...
Maybe that's not so bad. The new "Celerons" will be Conroes labeled "Pentiums". Hmmmm....

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
all I can say is that whenever I use a mobo without uGuru I miss it ... :cry:
I mainly use it for it's fan control & setting up a few user profiles that I can swap to at a mouse click - serious overclocking is still best done from the BIOS imo.

chimelli

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
I just installed vista in my AW9D-MAX and the Gigabit Lan port is not recognized!

Why is this happening?

Already installed Vista drivers!