Network Sockets

ray424

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Someone recomened your site as having all the answers so I wondered if you could help me, i am a IT Tech at a school we want to put some cab sockets in a classroom this would mean runing a cat5 from a switch in the corridoor my question is can cab sockets be put in series that is 5 or 6 sockets on 1 cable or do they need individual cables from the switch if this is the case can I simply add a switch to a switch i.e we have a 24 port switch can i add a 10 port switch to this.
i hope you can help
regards
ray

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
by cab sockets do you mean cable jacks where you would plug the ethernet cable into from a computer?

if so, you cant "daisy chain" an ethernet line

you can run one cat5 ethernet line form the switch in the corridor to a new switch in the room where you need the connections

as a rule/guideline you dont want to have more than 3 devices in a chain, something else to look at

i mean if theres already a router to a switch to another switch then you do not want to add another switch to that extension so if the switch in the corridor is the 3rd device in-line you will want to re-evaluate your plan to add extension in that room, but if that switch is only attached to 1 other device you should be good, this is all a relative guideline

it really depends on what devices are inline from each other as "managed" switches if set up properly will not have this issue also layer 2 traffic and layer 3 traffic will affect this rule too

best way if i lost you is to email me or contact me thru here to give me more information.

ray424

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Nightblade
thanks for replying yes I do mean cable jacks they are not known by that over here the switch I refer to is second inline from the server the first switch is a 24port and the second switch is also 24port all ports are presently full hope you can advise me further
regards
ray

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
the main reason to limit devices in a chain is to limit broadcasts. If one of them is a L3 device (router) no ethernet broadcasts will be passed on, so the limit is not as stringent. Keep in mind that as you chain further you'll really want managed devices as well as software to monitor device status, network connectivity and bandwidth use in order to keep everything working optimally.

As Nightblade mentioned you can add a switch in the room iteself, however this is seldom done. It's better to keep the switch in the equipment room and run enough cables to each room requiring connectivity. It shouldn't add much in terms of cost to run 24 cables to one room over running just one, and having the 24 cables may prove invaluable later on.

If you could explain your exact needs the advice we can give would be more to the point in your situation.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Also, do you really mean 'Cat5'? 5e should be more reliable if you want to use gigabit ethernet at some point in the future and costs very little if you're buying in bulk.

ray424

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks to every one for there advise Nightblade has e-mailed me with a solution but thanks guys for taking the time to post replys.
regards
ray