XP Pro does not recognize SATA DVD

perzaklie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I have an Epox MB, XP Pro. My DVD drive has been acting up so I ordered a Sony Optiarc from newegg. I failed to notice that the new drive was a SATA drive. Now that I have it, I decided to use it since I have two SATA connections on the MB. The problem is, my BIOS recognizes the SATA DVD drive BUT XP Pro does not. The BIOS recognizes the SATA drive as IDE Channel 3 Master. I am trying to install it with the ATA DVD still installed. Does this have an effect? I have tried the Microsoft FixIt but it does not help. I manually changed the registry but still no go. Does anyone have a suggestion?

perzaklie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
The BIOS offers two options for the SATA controller. RAID and IDE. I tried both. Neither cause XP to recognize the drive. BIOS only recognizes the drive with the IDE selected.

Check the advanced tab in the BIOS. Is it using legacy or enhanced? With newer hardware, like SATA, it should be on enhanced.

You may want to go to the optical drive manufacturers website and see if there are new SATA drivers to download. Though, this shouldn't be needed.