IP Adress conflicts

A_NAKED_PENGUIN

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Hey guys. I need help with my wireless connection. Me and my four other college roommates have a very finnicky connection. We all have laptops and we have three Xboxes. Now, We always have to reset the router every time someone turns on something or wakes thier laptop up becasue we get an IP adress conflict.

The box was already set in Vista to "Obtain new IP address automatically" which is SUPPOSED to solve the problem. But it doesn't.

MY buddy tried to make a new secured network thinking people were leaching off of us, but i htink now we have a secure and unsecured network being broadcast (it shows two networks with excellent connectivity one which is secured and one that isnt, which I assume is from our router)

So basically I need major help. I know my way around a computer but I'm not too savvy with networking. Please help.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Have your buddy set it up to assign each of you static IP addresses for that location. He'll just need all of the addressing info, but if you start running static IP addresses that should take care of it. Basically static IP addressing is different b/c your machine always has that 1 address assigned to it, whereas the way your saying it's supposed to be set, the router should hand out addresses automatically. Or reset the connection to factory settings, then put on the security while you are doing that.

I would think that your router could not broadcast 2 networks though.