Recovering encrypted folders

June 5, 2005 1:18:01 PM

My computer has 2 hard disks (c: and d:) . XP Pro is on drive c. I have some
important folders which are encrypted on drive d.

Disk c crashed and became totally unusable a few days ago. I replaced it
with a new disk and loaded XP Pro from scratch.

I didn't realize that a new copy of XP would make the encrypted folders on
drive d inaccessible. Any suggestions on how I can recover these folders? I
read some articles about "certificates" but don't know how to go about it.
Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:09:22 PM

Frank wrote:
> My computer has 2 hard disks (c: and d:) . XP Pro is on drive c. I have some
> important folders which are encrypted on drive d.
>
> Disk c crashed and became totally unusable a few days ago. I replaced it
> with a new disk and loaded XP Pro from scratch.
>
> I didn't realize that a new copy of XP would make the encrypted folders on
> drive d inaccessible. Any suggestions on how I can recover these folders? I
> read some articles about "certificates" but don't know how to go about it.
> Thanks in advance.

If the your encryption certificates and keys were not backed up
before the reinstallation, and the workstation isn't part of a domain,
those files are gone, for all practical purposes. Encryption works
well and there is no "back door" or hack to access the files.
(Wouldn't be much point to EFS if it were vulnerable.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:30:23 PM

Hi Frank,

You would need the encryption certificates or a recovery agent created in
the original installation. Without one or the other, those files are lost to
you permanently. You cannot recreate these after the fact, they would have
had to have been created by the user account that encrypted the
files/folders while the system was in normal operation.

Are you sure the files were encrypted? If you are just getting "access
denied", it may just be an ownership issue. The files/folders are "owned" by
the user account and system that created them. Encryption only occurs when
you knowingly do it in an XP Pro system from the file/folder properites. If
it's just ownership, then this should help:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer has 2 hard disks (c: and d:) . XP Pro is on drive c. I have
> some
> important folders which are encrypted on drive d.
>
> Disk c crashed and became totally unusable a few days ago. I replaced it
> with a new disk and loaded XP Pro from scratch.
>
> I didn't realize that a new copy of XP would make the encrypted folders on
> drive d inaccessible. Any suggestions on how I can recover these folders?
> read some articles about "certificates" but don't know how to go about it.
> Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 4:44:48 PM

After the fact is too late. The time to backup your certificates is before a
system crash - much like backing up your personal files.

Sorry!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban