Core2Duo Chipset?

Hello all,

Just a quick question, thinking about building my next system around a Core 2 Duo based processor. It will either be:

- E6600
- E6700
- Q6600

I'll also want to use a GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (without the need for SLI). Which chipset / motherboard would be the best to use?

Thanks for any help offered.
5 answers Last reply
More about core2duo chipset
  1. I see money isn't a big concern, so look at a P35 chipset. Good upgrade path, still rather cutting edge without the waste of the X38, seeing as you aren't SLIing
  2. OK thanks for the advice. From that I've come up with the following components, and a few questions:

- Intel Core2Duo E6700
    - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
    - Corsair 2048MB (2x 1024MB) PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM - later up to 4GB
    ** Is this speed memory OK? Should I go for PC2-8500?
    - Zalman CNPS9700-LED CPU Cooler
    ** Will this fit my motherboard?
    - Zalman 500W ZM-500HP Power Supply
    ** Will this power suppy be enough?
    - XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (PV-T80F-SHF9)

Fitting into an Antec Sonata (first series).... or will I need a larger case? :P

Other components going into the system:
    3x SATA drives
    1x PATA DVD-RW
  3. I suggest using either an E6600 or a Q6600, the 6700 isn't worth the extra money for the minimal increase in speed. Your memory should be fine, but as for your power supply, I recommend getting one with a bit more power, you're relying on it to supply a lot of power-hungry components. Something around the order of 550-600W should be better.
  4. definitely, I would suggest a bigger powersupply. I got a 430watt for my system (not paying attention to the 8 pin cpu input on my motherboard) and it is a little unstable. Make sure you double check the connectors that come with the powersupply with the graphics card and motherboard (24pin plus the extra) that's all I can say....
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Chipsets