MSI Vga Card = Bad product?

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Recently I've just bought MSI GeForce 8800GTS 320 Mb OC Edition (575/1700). But after I bought that Vga, I noticed that the edges HSF of that vga is very jagged. Please refer to the pictures...

http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/752246_Graphic2.jpg.html

http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/752245_Graphic1.jpg.html

and also after a short usage of time I noticed that at the upper right corner of the card become black, just like something got burned. Basically the card runs normally or show no sign of failure. Did I have just bought a fake MSI card? I just curious if any of you who own a GeForce 8800GTS 320 Mb of anykind of brand has the same jagged edge of HSF like mine? and what about the upper right corner?
Thanks.

The first picture looks like bad casting, or spurs not cleaned up after casting, along with some marks from getting "tossed" around.

The second picture looks like the metal has tarnished either by being exposed to chemicals, or being exposed to air for a long time. Perhaps even from the excessive heat of the card reacting to chemicles.

Either way, I think if the card runs ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

Having said that, If the card goes belly up, you better hope those bastards at msi get in touch with you. They're just about useless when it comes to getting something fixed or replaced.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Yeah, this is my first time using MSI product and already got a bad image :x . I choose MSI over XFX and EVGA because they run out of stock 1 month ago. Should have just wait a couple weeks though, better than get disappointed now :cry: . I tried to replace my vga from MSI, but all of their 8800GTS 320Mb OC edition have the same jagged edge like mine :? . I’m afraid my vga blow up at the 13th month, by that time my warranty already expired :roll: .

Just curious and wonder if any brands of 8800GTS 320 also have the same jagged edges like MSI or IT IS JUST MSI? Anybody? Plz share your 8800GTS. :cry:

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If the card is causing you no issues of any kind,then you have nothing to worry about.A jagged edge is not unusual in the computer industry.Just think how many times you cut yourself on a case or some other piece of hardware you were working on.As for the discoloration,again,if it is not causing any problems then I would not worry about it.If however,it will satisfy your peace of mind,then RMA the card as being unsatisfactory and get a new one.otherwise stop worrying about it.Goodluck.A couple years ago I purchased the 6600gt AGP version with 128 megs of ddr3 memory on a 128 bit interface.It had the exact same specs as its pci-e brother including 1ghz for the ddr3 instead of 900mhz as other 3rd party manufacturers were doing.I used this card faithfuly until I bought my 7800gt/motherboard combo last year.In fact I sold that card to a friend for a nominal fee and he is still using it to this day with NO ISSUES at all.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
If however,it will satisfy your peace of mind,then RMA the card as being unsatisfactory and get a new one.otherwise stop worrying about it.

I know I know…RMA. But the sad thing is there is no RMA policy in my country especially when buying computer hardware.

I’ve done so as you said before, I tried to return that vga to my local distributor and say that I’m willingly being refunded just for 75% of my buying price only (consider the other 25% is for admin fee), but they said they cannot do so.

So for now the only thing that I can do is to tell others in the forum of my bad experience with MSI so that they will be extra cautious of MSI vga products especially 8800GTS and hopefully someone who has 8800GTS already of any kind of brands will share their product appearance if it just like mine (MSI) or not. That’s all. Thank you.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Whoa dude,that really sucks.No RMA policy???Can you buy EVGA products in your country???I know that EVGA prefers you to send faulty or dead hardware of theirs(EVGA) to them instead of the store where you bought it at.But it must be an EVGA product.That could very well be the loophole you need to get around that no RMA policiy.BUY EVGA.GREAT PRODUCTS,GREAT WARRANTIES,AND AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE.Just my personal opinion though.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE

NUFC987

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I've had an excellent experience with MSI (mobo and vid card). When i needed to RMA my card they were very helpful and their hardware runs great! Have you tried contacting MSI (i know u said there is no policy in your country, but test their good nature and sweet talk them).

But if the card is running fine, then the looks should matter too much. GL with whatever you decide to do.

bobby6k34

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
do any of you guys own a 8800GTS just wonting to know bcouse every 880GTS that my mates own and the one i own all have the save marks that are in the first image so thats fine just crap casting as for image 2 i wouldn't worry i don't think my card has that but then its nothing that bad

i think but i don't know that thay get all the HSF from the same place becouse there all reference cards

I don't really understand why the problem if it is working fine. Close the case on your computer and won't be able to see it. I don't think that a few rough edges or a tarnished little tiny edge of metal is worth all the worry.
I have owned many MSI products over the years, and they have all performed quite well, although I never really took the time to look for jagged edges or discoloration.....just the fact that they worked well was enough for me.

cristip60

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Well for the first picture don't worry it's just the casting it won't have the quality build of a mercedes or audi(sorry for camparing it with a car).
And for the second picture is that part made from copper because if it is copper has a nasty defect when is it exposed to moist air because for coper the moist air is corosive.

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
I agree with the rest of the people here, if it works, just leave it be. It's not like a little discoloration will fry your card, there's no reason to be that paranoid. MSI is a reliable brand name, they're definitely not nobodies in the scope of hardware brands. If you can, though, eVGA is the way to go. They have an excellent step-up program, as well as extremely reliable parts and awesome customer support.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Can you buy EVGA products in your country???

Yes, I choose MSI over XFX or EVGA because they run out of stock 1 month ago. Should have just wait a couple weeks though, better than get disappointed now :cry: . Thx. Next time, I WILL ONLY buy EVGA. :wink:

I've had an excellent experience with MSI (mobo and vid card). When i needed to RMA my card they were very helpful and their hardware runs great! Have you tried contacting MSI (i know u said there is no policy in your country, but test their good nature and sweet talk them).

You meant you have excellent experience with MSI based on their products or services? I say none of them is good. I've also tried to contact MSI in Taiwan, they offer no solution at all. They just told me to contact my local distributor.

And for the second picture is that part made from copper because if it is copper has a nasty defect when is it exposed to moist air because for coper the moist air is corosive.

And when my card become corrosive, then it will stop functioning? That's a big problem, moreover when at that time my warranty has expired. Only 11 months left from now.

They have an excellent step-up program, as well as extremely reliable parts and awesome customer support.

I don't live in the US, so I guess I can't enjoy the setup program. Thx anyway.

do any of you guys own a 8800GTS just wonting to know bcouse every 880GTS that my mates own and the one i own all have the save marks that are in the first image so thats fine just crap casting as for image 2 i wouldn't worry i don't think my card has that but then its nothing that bad

That's relief me that all of you guys who own 8800GTS have the same mark (jagged edge) as mine. But as for image 2, the "tarnished part" remains a mystery to me why it gets darker and darker everyday untill now the back of the card directly behind the tarnished part has a sticker on it becomes tarnished too just like the sticker itself got burned by fire. :cry: . But my vga temp shows 58C when idle, 70 max when full load and I think it's a normal temp for 8800GTS.

cristip60

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
And when my card become corrosive, then it will stop functioning? That's a big problem, moreover when at that time my warranty has expired. Only 11 months left from now.

Well you got it wrong youre card does not become corosive it's just that copper part wich has come in contact with the moist air and has corodet(rusted).
Sorry for the english.

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
cristip60 said:

Well you got it wrong youre card does not become corosive it's just that copper part wich has come in contact with the moist air and has corodet(rusted).
Sorry for the english.

Epic quoting skills.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
It's probably not so much the air but someone used fat grubby fingers to hold the card there :D Acid/grease from skin combined with heat corrodes pretty well. As for the burrs on the cooler they are not really a sign of bad quality. The most important area of your cooler is the one you'll never see unless you take it apart, and that's the area where it makes contact with your GPU and mem chips. If quality is poor there it might affect cooling, if temps are ok no worries!! superficial corrosion is only important when it concerns plugs or contact areas that should conduct well. Your card will not corrode in 13 months unless you leave it on the beach for a while :p .