Sign in with
Your question

Trying to reach 3.8GHz

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 9, 2007 10:28:08 AM

I am currently at 3.6GHz 1.56 Vcore and need some suggestions on how to best reach 3.8GHz. My FSB @1600MHz with Ram @1200MHz @2.25v & FSB:D RAM 2:3. I dont think these Asus P5B's can run unlinked. Thanks for any suggestions!

More about : reach 8ghz

June 11, 2007 8:58:59 PM

increase your multiplier. Splash it with water if it smokes
June 11, 2007 9:44:33 PM

Quote:
Ram @1200MHz @2.25v & FSB:D RAM 2:3.

No wonder you are having issues. :roll:
Related resources
June 11, 2007 9:47:12 PM

Your C2D is not gonna last long at that voltage. Your PSU may be holding you back. Also like superfly said your ram probably is maxed out.
June 12, 2007 12:50:32 AM

Quote:
increase your multiplier. Splash it with water if it smokes

I did try spashing water on my mobo and it help a little,lol. I am using FSB @450x8 multi, Ram @900MHz @2.25 & bus speed @1800MHz 69% OC on bus. Vcore is being lowered as I speak & for now seems stable, but I'll keep lowering it till I get instability. My temps are pretty good 62c Tjuntion both cores Tcase 50c which is under 12c max thermal temp of 61c for C2D's
June 12, 2007 1:17:52 AM

Your ram can't run that fast. That is well past the world record. You are mistaken it must be running 3:2. Which is only DDR2 600. If you somehow miraculously reached what you said you did take screenies now and buy new ram modules because their not gonna last much longer.
June 12, 2007 1:25:46 AM

Quote:
Your ram can't run that fast. That is well past the world record. You are mistaken it must be running 3:2. Which is only DDR2 600. If you somehow miraculously reached what you said you did take screenies now and buy new ram modules because their not gonna last much longer.

CPU clock 3.6GHz, Ram @900MHz, bus speed 450MHzx8 multiplier x4 = Rated FSB 1800MHz, why is that so hard to understand? Do some math. If you tell me how to put CPU-Z in here I'll show you. :D 
June 12, 2007 1:29:50 AM

O LOL ya my bad. I was thinking that it was running at 900mhz and the effective speed was 1800mhz. Sorry for any trouble.

Nice OC by the way. Try to get your voltage to below 1.55 because that is the absolute max voltage for C2D's if you want them to last till at least their 3 year warranty.
June 12, 2007 1:34:24 AM

Quote:
O LOL ya my bad. I was thinking that it was running at 900mhz and the effective speed was 1800mhz. Sorry for any trouble.

Nice OC by the way. Try to get your voltage to below 1.55 because that is the max votage for C2D's.

I am in the process of lowering it as we type, now its at 1.53 Vcore. Temps are 63c Tjunction both cores, Tcase 50c.
June 12, 2007 1:34:57 AM

Quote:

Nice OC by the way. Try to get your voltage to below 1.55 because that is the max votage for C2D's.

I am in the process of lowering it as we type, now its at 1.53 Vcore. Temps are 63c Tjunction both cores, Tcase 50c.
June 12, 2007 3:13:20 AM

Load up multiple CPUZ tags, core temp and Ortho’s priority one for 2 hours and post your screen shot like this.
Priority one is so you can still use the computer.
Priority 9 if you dont need the computer for anything

Make sure you don’t post Ortho’s when it’s at Idle.
You need to make sure you’re absolutely stable at 400 FSB before you go past that strap.
It would be refreshing to see 1200 MHz ram on the P5B Deluxe as there are not very many people that can manage this especially at 2.25 Volts
If you can post 500 FSB then you probably don’t need any help other than a few pointers
June 12, 2007 4:32:46 AM

have you tried 475 with an 8 multi?
June 12, 2007 6:28:13 AM

Quote:
Load up multiple CPUZ tags, core temp and Ortho’s priority one for 2 hours and post your screen shot like this.
Priority one is so you can still use the computer.
Priority 9 if you dont need the computer for anything

Make sure you don’t post Ortho’s when it’s at Idle.
You need to make sure you’re absolutely stable at 400 FSB before you go past that strap.
It would be refreshing to see 1200 MHz ram on the P5B Deluxe as there are not very many people that can manage this especially at 2.25 Volts
If you can post 500 FSB then you probably don’t need any help other than a few pointers

I just finished 3 hours of Orthos blend priority 8 @3.6GHz Vcore 1.50, 450x8 multi, Ram @900MHz 2.25v and I know if I raise the Vcore some more I can run with no errors. I already ran Orthos priority 8 for 14 hours at 400x9 @3.6GHz Vcore @1.55, Ram @1200MHz 5-5-5-15 @2.25v STABLE. I think my CPU is wanting more voltage than I'm willing to give it, as if I drop below 1.55 it gives me errors in Orthos. One more question, is it better to run @3.6GHz and Ram 2:3 ratio @1200MHz 5-5-5-15 or running @3.6GHz with ram @1:1 900MHz? "Tell me how to take a snap shot of all those programs and how to insert them here. Then you'll see 1200MHz @2.25
June 12, 2007 2:35:30 PM

download imageshack
http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=quickshot

its better to run the FSB ar 400 X9 3.6 GHz 4:5 DDR2 1000
or 467 X 8 for your maximum bandwidth.
at 450 FSB the bandwidth drops.
I would really like to see that 1200 MHZ orthos stable screenshot and I believe you would have a world record at 14 hours stable at 2.25 volts providing it was a blend test.
use Asus Ai suite to show ram voltages on your screenshot.
and dont give up those ram modules
unless you want to give them to me :wink:
June 12, 2007 4:11:55 PM

Quote:
have you tried 475 with an 8 multi?

Yes I did try 475x8 multi but the computer kept hanging(black screen non responsive) on me, you know why? I upped the FSB volts & NB volts as well, I'm I doing something wrong?
June 12, 2007 4:26:41 PM

Quote:
download imageshack
http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=quickshot

its better to run the FSB ar 400 X9 3.6 GHz 4:5 DDR2 1000
or 467 X 8 for your maximum bandwidth.
at 450 FSB the bandwidth drops.:

Can you explain to me why 400x9 or 467x8 is better than 450x8? Not that I'm questioning you I just crave knowledge when it comes to computers. :D  Also if you could tell me which would be better performance wise between 400x9 vs 467x8 as I think I can manage both. One more thing is that @400x9 I am unable to go any lower than 1.55 Vcore and if I do it hangs(black screen non responsive) O yeah at 400x9 my temps are using TAT at 85% load both cores is 65c-66c Tjunction as Tcase is not trustworthy. And thanks for you help mate!
June 12, 2007 6:24:29 PM

Quote:
Ha I found it after much searching. I use to have this bookmarked in times like this but it disappeared. Very good explanation as to why it's better.

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=30

I think I only understood less than half of the P5B stuff, strap what the heck is strap? I'm a noob OCer and that was just fracking over my head> :? So do you think that 400x9 @3.6 GHz Vcore 1.55v with temps using TAT at 64c-66c loaded at 85% load is ok to run? I heard gaming will NEVER reach those temps, is that true also? Thanks for trying to help with that link even though....
June 12, 2007 7:29:54 PM

Ya it's pretty confusing I read it 3-4 times before I got it.

Whenever the fsb hits the strap the chipset reduces it's own multiplier and therefor reduces it's internal clockspeed allowing the FSB to scale even higher and giving you a higher OC. When it reduces it's clock speed the bandwidth decreases. Thats why you want your FSB to be right on the strap so it doesn't reduce it's internal clock. Sometime the chipsets won't be able to hit those clocks thats why some people experience problems where they cant go higher. They have hit dead zones where you can't increase your FSB anymore from like 380-400. But after your pass the 400mhz strap and the chipset reduces it's internal clock they are able to increase the FSB clock even higher. Thats my understanding of it all.

Your temps are all fine. Your in the warm zone, hot is 75C+ and throttling starts at 85C. However if you want your chip to last till about or past its 3 year warranty you will need to reduce the voltage.
June 12, 2007 9:42:28 PM

Quote:
Ya it's pretty confusing I read it 3-4 times before I got it.

Whenever the fsb hits the strap the chipset reduces it's own multiplier and therefor reduces it's internal clockspeed allowing the FSB to scale even higher and giving you a higher OC. When it reduces it's clock speed the bandwidth decreases. Thats why you want your FSB to be right on the strap so it doesn't reduce it's internal clock. Sometime the chipsets won't be able to hit those clocks thats why some people experience problems where they cant go higher. They have hit dead zones where you can't increase your FSB anymore from like 380-400. But after your pass the 400mhz strap and the chipset reduces it's internal clock they are able to increase the FSB clock even higher. Thats my understanding of it all.

Your temps are all fine. Your in the warm zone, hot is 75C+ and throttling starts at 85C. However if you want your chip to last till about or past its 3 year warranty you will need to reduce the voltage.

So if I deside to lower my OC to save my CPU from voltage death, what would be the next best setting, 333?
June 12, 2007 10:28:11 PM

I would run that CPU at 3.4 GHZ. You could most likely get a decent voltage and life span at that. It doesn't really matter if you use 378*8 or 425*9 because they almost have the same bandwidth.

June 13, 2007 2:15:17 AM

So if I deside to lower my OC to save my CPU from voltage death, what would be the next best setting, 333?
The first thing you want to do is pull that ASUS sticker off the Northbridge and stick a fan on it.

Try 400X8 3.2 GHz and set the ram to 1000 MHz in bios at 2.2 volts
In the chipset section of bios under Northbridge chipset configuration
Click disable Configure DRAM timing by SPD
Set the Ram Latency at 5:5:5:15
CPU Vcore 1.45
FSB termination 1.4
NB 1.45 increase to 1.5 if Orthos starts to fail (before you increase Vcore)
Do not raise the NB Vcore to 1.65 (your not ready this yet)
SB Auto
ICH Auto
Run Orthos at least Priority 7 for no less than 5 hours and if your temps are less than 63 (core temp) and less than 61C Tcase (Asus PC probe)
Run Orthos overnight.
Drop your Memory back down to 800 MHz at factory rated Latency if Orthos fails
Raise your Vcore only if NB volts and Ram Frequency doesn’t correct failures
After your stable you can start to tighten up the memory timings and recheck in Orthos and Memtest.
June 13, 2007 2:26:57 AM

I know this is of topic but can I install the sata drivers (AHCI) after OS install? If not then do I need a floppy or flash drive?
June 13, 2007 2:33:06 AM

You need to install AHCI or RAID drivers before OS install Make a floppy before you reformat If you deside to do this.
I'm not a raid expert if you run into problems
I can make it work but struggle when it fails :lol: 
June 13, 2007 2:38:59 AM

USB flash drive wont work?
June 13, 2007 2:41:42 AM

Yes it will but I've never had to use it.
I always have a floppy around 8)
June 13, 2007 10:33:02 AM

I still consider the continued existence and usage of floppies as a collective embarrassment to the ICT industry as a whole, particularly now that we have USB flash disks and CD-RW/DVD-RW media.
June 13, 2007 2:28:55 PM

A lot of software companies distribute their software on DVD's and still use the floppy as a key diskette to activate the product.
My self
I'm a collector of antiques 8)
June 13, 2007 3:31:38 PM

I have an 80486 (AMD X5) that I use for retro games. Can't stand DOSBox...
June 13, 2007 3:36:41 PM

Quote:
I am currently at 3.6GHz 1.56 Vcore and need some suggestions on how to best reach 3.8GHz. My FSB @1600MHz with Ram @1200MHz @2.25v & FSB:D RAM 2:3. I dont think these Asus P5B's can run unlinked. Thanks for any suggestions!

I run the same settings but lower v, 1.45v . I can run 3.73 1.53v but will freeze up during Orthos and games. 3.6 is good enough really.

When I press buy on the purchase button for my new Quad Penryn (whenever that is released) I will try for 3.8 or 3.9 myself
June 13, 2007 5:16:58 PM

that reminds me I need to find free dos again, and make up one of the P1 machines to run some of the very old games I have.
June 13, 2007 8:06:55 PM

The first thing you want to do is pull that ASUS sticker off the Northbridge and stick a fan on it.

CPU Vcore 1.45
FSB termination 1.4
SB Auto
ICH Auto
Run Orthos at least Priority 7 for no less than 5 hours and if your temps are less than 63 (core temp) and less than 61C Tcase (Asus PC probe)
Run Orthos overnight.
After your stable you can start to tighten up the memory timings and recheck in Orthos and Memtest.

I let Orthos run at the settings above for 12 hours 30 minutes, min. 50c, avg. 52c & max. 53c using Core Temp. "I never went above 53c & never below 50c, seems very stable." My next step is to tighten up the timings, but should I up the CPU, or leave it for now? Do you think I should try cas 3 latency? And thank you!

UPDATE Ok I failed Orthos 3 seconds after tightening up the timing to 4-4-4-12 @1000MHz, all other setting the same as above.
June 14, 2007 12:41:53 AM

CPU Vcore 1.45
FSB termination 1.4
SB Auto
ICH Auto
Run Orthos overnight.

I let Orthos run at the settings above for 12 hours 30 minutes, min. 50c, avg. 52c & max. 53c using Core Temp. "I never went above 53c & never below 50c, seems very stable." My next step is to tighten up the timings, but should I up the CPU, or leave it for now? Do you think I should try cas 3 latency? And thank you!

UPDATE Ok I failed Orthos 3 seconds after tightening up the timing to 4-4-4-12 @1000MHz, all other setting the same as above.
Set the latency to 4-5-4-15 and bump up the NB to 1.5 volts and try a fan over the ram.
you may have to leave the ram at 5-5-5-15 for a few days heavy use with Orthos running priority one in the background monitoring you temps.
Once your stable we can try 400X9 3.6 GHz but first push it a few days.
1000 MHz @ 5 5 5 15 has great bandwidth at 400 FSB.
I know you want to be on the safe side so Takeing your time will get you at your max clocks max bandwidth with good temps.
until your ready for better cooling keeping your Vcore below 1.5 Volts is the first priority.
June 14, 2007 2:11:09 AM

What are the differance's between priority 1 through 9, and can I surf the net while testing with Orthos? Not that I have been. I have all the time in the world so yes I'm not in a rush, "as a super stable system is priority one. O yeah why was my Tcase temp 85c in Everest with both core temps at 52c-53c?" Isn't that impossible. Thanks again!
June 14, 2007 2:23:34 AM

priority 1 will let you surf ,run virus scans,firewall up and play an occasional video game.
thats what you want to do for now to test the entire system stability.
watch those temps.
try not to overtask the system hours on end.
the object is normal use with orthos priority one in the background.
when you pass that your done with orthos until the OC bug bites again. :wink:
dont forget about the fan over the Ram modules
June 14, 2007 5:47:13 AM

Quote:
priority 1 will let you surf ,run virus scans,firewall up and play an occasional video game.
watch those temps.

I have a 120mm 2000rpm fan shooting cool air right over them, my Crucial stix's are so cool you'd think the computer had been turned off for many hours. The NB has a 60mm fan stuck to it with double sided sticky tape. Again why was my Tcase temps 85c when the cores were only 52c both cores?? Wouldn't it be awesome if we had software programs that tells you why your overclock faided.

UPDATE: changing my timings to 4-5-4-15 has been working no swet for many hours, "you really know you computers."

UPDATE: I was running Orthos for 2 hours and was surfing the internet for 80% of the 2 hours and Orthos failed errors 1. Whats the next step to take? Temps are still very good max 54c - min 49c at full load Orthos.
June 14, 2007 10:22:26 AM

Quote:
watch those temps.

"Major instability in games without Orthos running & horrible choppyness & shuttering." Four days ago I had my settings at 400x9 @3.6GHz, ram @1200MHz 5-5-5-15 @2.25 Vcore set to 1.56 ok temps. Ran Orthos for 14 hours at those setting and was very stable. I am thinking that my Vcore is low, do you? Four days ago with the settings as above my games have never ran as smoooth as they did four days ago.
June 14, 2007 2:31:34 PM

You could go back to 5 5 5 15 on the ram or bump the voltage to 2.3 volts
The board has a droop in ram voltages above 2.05 volts and it varies from board to board upwards toward .5 volts.
Try the voltage first
Load Ai suite and check the ram voltage
The correct way to measure this would be a dmm but the software is pretty accurate.
Your game choppiness most likely wouldn’t be your CPU
It may be driver related but fix the ram problem first and make sure your mother board and GPU have the latest drivers especially the sound max drivers.
Don’t update the bios past 0910 or you may loose your over clock bios 1004 is for 1333 CPU support only and can not be rolled back to previous bios without loosing your hair.
It’s very hard to run the Ram at 1200 MHz on the P5B Deluxe not impossible but it takes a little more skill to do this for any length of time.
If your ram was truly running 600 MHz 2:3 (or 1200 MHZ) at 3.6 GHz then it should in theory run great at CAS 4 at 1000 MHz now.
For now if the voltage bump doesn’t fix this go back to 5 5 5 15 and finish stabilizing your System.
Back off on the gaming part for now

have you downloaded Imageshack yet?
June 14, 2007 3:14:19 PM

First my motherboard came out of the box with 1004 Bios. :x "I set the Ram to 5-5-5-15 @2.3v and in Doom3 my FPS was 4", No Joke. How can my system be stable at 4 frames per seconds? Ram volts are 2.3volts in AI Sui[/img]te. Getting image shack now. Your going to have to show my how to put images in this forum. In most forums you just click brows, then attach. SO HOW DO I LOOSE MY HAIR NOW. :lol:  My brother is bald, we'll just look more alike. :lol: 
June 14, 2007 3:17:48 PM

Quote:
You could go back to 5 5 5 15 on the ram or bump the voltage to 2.3 volts
The board has a droop in ram voltages above 2.05 volts and it varies from board to board upwards toward .5 volts.
Try the voltage first
Load Ai suite and check the ram voltage
The correct way to measure this would be a dmm but the software is pretty accurate.
Your game choppiness most likely wouldn’t be your CPU
It may be driver related but fix the ram problem first and make sure your mother board and GPU have the latest drivers especially the sound max drivers.
Don’t update the bios past 0910 or you may loose your over clock bios 1004 is for 1333 CPU support only and can not be rolled back to previous bios without loosing your hair.
It’s very hard to run the Ram at 1200 MHz on the P5B Deluxe not impossible but it takes a little more skill to do this for any length of time.
If your ram was truly running 600 MHz 2:3 (or 1200 MHZ) at 3.6 GHz then it should in theory run great at CAS 4 at 1000 MHz now.
For now if the voltage bump doesn’t fix this go back to 5 5 5 15 and finish stabilizing your System.
Back off on the gaming part for now

have you downloaded Imageshack yet?

YA SEE!!!, this is what its all about, folks sharing information right down to the nitty gritty...., Toms used to be that way....

ya'll make me so proud...., I think I gonna cry...(sniff) Tito hand me a tissue....
June 15, 2007 2:05:26 AM

I just got back from work.
Let me know when you have ImageShack up and running.
The software is pretty self explanatory and the web site will guide you.
If you get stuck I'll walk you through it.

The first screenshot I would like is this tab on CPUZ

I just want to see if your PCI Express bus is behaving
June 15, 2007 2:11:14 AM

Quote:
You could go back to 5 5 5 15

YA SEE!!!, this is what its all about, folks sharing information right down to the nitty gritty...., Toms used to be that way....

ya'll make me so proud...., I think I gonna cry...(sniff) Tito hand me a tissue....
Toms is still a good site with good people
all though it has gotten out of hand lately. :?
dont be sad :lol: 
June 15, 2007 4:13:31 AM

Ignore this..
June 15, 2007 4:25:01 AM

When you hit the short cut keys ctrl U or ctrl I the imageshack window will pop up and upload your image to the server.
when its ready click open webbrowser with all links

when the web page loads just click or highlight one of the thumbnails for forums copy that url and paste it to your reply box and click preview post to see if the screenshot appears

that should get you started
June 15, 2007 5:19:58 AM

Heres what you wanted, now I'll go do 1200 @ 2.25v and stress it for you with memtest.

Temps are 33-34 idle (Tjunction) and 18-20c idle (Tcase)
June 16, 2007 12:59:46 AM

when you hit 1200 MHz on the ram post something like this

and one screen shot with CPUZ mainboard tab open
June 16, 2007 2:36:43 AM

Here you go. http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=06152007192659...

I foregot to tell you that I found the FPS problem, its fixed. I did a system restore and all troubles went away, stange huh? I can't believe the frames rates in Doom 3, 182-198FPS with 8X AA highest quality settings. :D  I think I'm stable now you think with that kind of performance? If you think I should wait a few more days then thats totaly cool.
June 16, 2007 2:56:45 AM

Run Superpi 1M and show the ram voltage in Asus AI suite like my post above.
If its stable at that setting run over to Extreme systems and post it in the 600MHz club.
Might as well show off those Crucial IC's :wink:
also I still needed to see the mainboard tab on cpuz
like this one.

I'm just looking for your PCIE bandwidth because of your frame rate question before.
June 16, 2007 3:00:00 AM

I was updating when you posted so have another look. Asus is wrong about volts for Ram its at 2.3 and not 2.25. Why not go for 1250MHz?
June 16, 2007 3:05:38 AM

Good
your bandwith isnt the issue .
could be driver related.
be careful at 1200 MHz ram they get toasty.
If you can run orthos like you said before then that is hell of an achievment
congradulations :trophy:
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!