Sign in with
Your question

Creating a new PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2007 10:56:36 AM

Hi everybody, I'm new in this forum, and also I'm Spanish so you have to excuse me in advance for my poor English.

I've been saving for a new PC and yesterday I won some extra money in lottery, so my budget has increased and, of course, I'll buy a better PC. My budget is about 2000€ which is similar to 2000$

The point is that I have some doubts I hope you will help me to decide.

First: Quad-Core or Core Duo? I'm not sure if nowadays games and programs take much profit of four processors.

Second: 64 bit or 32 bit? I've heard that practicaly nobody uses 64 bit.

Third: GRAPHIC CARD!!! Ohhh yesss.... I won't take anything below nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX SLI, so I'm considering just two options: 8800 GTX or 8800 Ultra. I don't know if there's much difference between them, I mean in terms of quality and price.

Fourth: Vista or XP? I've heard that Vista is the only owner of DirectX10, but, is such a big difference between DirectX10 and DirectX9? And also, I don't want the PC only for playing, and it seems that Vista uses too much resources (1GB of RAM) and digital music is very restricted (lowering quality, problems of copying, and stuff like that).

Fifth: Display. I won't buy Apple LCD displays but I think I'll choose a 20 inches panoramic display for higher resolutions, what do you think of it?

Sixth (and last): If you have been pacient enough to answer the previous questions, which is the correct size of RAM? 2GB? 4GB?

That's all folks! I know I've made too many questions but I want to spend my money in a PC that lasts some years without sweating too much.

Thanks for reading at least!

Prototype00

More about : creating

June 9, 2007 12:02:57 PM

1) Well, right now not many games can even fully utilize 2 cores. However, quad core prices are going to drop this summer to dirt cheap so it would be worth buying one then (Q6600).

2)There aren't many 64-bit application to the best of my knowledge.

3) With a 20'' monitor SLi GTXs are mad overkill. You could get away with 2 GTSs. If you want the 2 GTX that's fine, just letting you know it's overkill.

4) Yes Vista is a little resource hungry. It does also decrease your FPS in certain games. If you wan to use DX10, Vista is the only option.

5) Take a look at this one from Dell: Dell 2007. They make nice monitors.

6) If you use XP, it won't recognize more than 3gb of RAM because it uses some of it for other things. If you use Vista 4gb seems to be the sweet spot.

Also keep in mind that you will need a beefy PSU and not just something that came with your case.
a c 146 U Graphics card
June 9, 2007 1:14:11 PM

Quote:
6) If you use XP, it won't recognize more than 3gb of RAM because it uses some of it for other things. If you use Vista 4gb seems to be the sweet spot.

Just a bit of clarification on this. If you use ANY 32-bit operating system (XP or Vista), it won't recognize a full 4GB of installed RAM due to instruction limitations. Any 32-bit operating system will only see between 2.7 and 3.2 Gig of the 4 Gig. Only 64 Bit operating systems (XP-64 or Vista-64) will allow you to utilize 4 Gig (and more) or RAM.

As far as RAM usage, Vista will use more than XP. I'm finding that 2 Gig is the sweet spot for XP and 3 Gig for Vista.

-Wolf sends
Related resources
June 10, 2007 3:13:23 AM

Well, first of all, thank you for answering, and answering quickly.

You helped me a lot, and I've decided 5 out of 6 things: XP, 32-bit version, 3GB of RAM (because XP 32-bit won't accept anything more, is this right?), 20 inches widescreen LCD display, and Core Duo or maybe Quad-core (I'll decide it in the moment of buying depending on my budget).

But I'm not sure of graphic card's choice. In other posts:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/8800gts-320-ftopict240346.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/8800-gts-ftopict240198.html

discuss on systems similars to mine, and say that 8800 GTS 320 MB version doesn't work as it is hoped (I mean playing at high quality), and moreover, with LCD displays you need more memory, so they make the choice of 8800 GTS 640 MB version. So if you say I should take two 8800 GTS, I must suppose you mean two 8800 GTS 640 MB, but this costs more than a simple 8800 GTX, and if 8800 GTX is an overkill, two 8800 GTS 640 MB is overkill twice, isn't it?

And the issue about PSU (which I didn't know what it meant until I looked it up at wikipedia), how many W do you think I need according to my graphic card expectations?

Prototype00
June 10, 2007 3:31:42 AM

Quote:
because XP 32-bit won't accept anything more, is this right?

It will accept it, but you won't see it or see any gains from it.

Quote:
So if you say I should take two 8800 GTS, I must suppose you mean two 8800 GTS 640 MB, but this costs more than a simple 8800 GTX, and if 8800 GTX is an overkill, two 8800 GTS 640 MB is overkill twice, isn't it?

In your original post I thought you had said you wanted SLi 8800GTXs. My mistake. You would do fine with either on GTS 640 or a GTX. Most people will tell you to get the best single card you can afford. Sli is usually a waste of money.

Quote:
how many W do you think I need according to my graphic card expectations?

I make it simple. This one should be fine for your needs:Corsair HX 620. If you want to learn more about power supplies, go to the PSU section and read the PSU 101+102 sticky. Very informative.
June 10, 2007 4:01:39 AM

Quote:

So if you say I should take two 8800 GTS, I must suppose you mean two 8800 GTS 640 MB, but this costs more than a simple 8800 GTX, and if 8800 GTX is an overkill, two 8800 GTS 640 MB is overkill twice, isn't it?

In your original post I thought you had said you wanted SLi 8800GTXs. My mistake. You would do fine with either on GTS 640 or a GTX. Most people will tell you to get the best single card you can afford. Sli is usually a waste of money.

mmm..... I tought that both nVidia GTX and GTS had SLi technology, and you could connect 2 GPUs if you wish using SLi. I was thinking of a single 8800 GTX card (which includes SLi that I won't use, I'm right?). Is this OK for what I need? And a 600 W PSU will be enough?
June 10, 2007 4:19:57 AM

OK, I just misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you wanted two GTXs. woops, my bad. Yes, pretty much all of the new GeForce cards have the ability to be used in SLI. Yes, a GTX will be fine for your needs and the PSU I linked you will handle everything and then some.
June 10, 2007 4:28:23 AM

Thank you very much for your time!!! This is going to help me a lot!!!

Bye!!!

Prototype00
June 20, 2007 7:31:12 PM

Well I've decided everything but the monitor. Samsung 206BW or Samsung 226BW? They have the same properties, but the first one is 20" and the second one 22", although their resolution is the same 1680 x 1050 (aprox). If they have the same resolution, I'm going to see the 22" more pixellated (I don't how to spell it) ? Now I think that the 22" will be worse because the resolution is the same and the " no. Can anyone tell me if I'm wrong? or tell me which is the best?

Thanks

Prototype00
!