Why so many 'Processes' in task manager???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
at things.

Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
Many I don't recognize.

I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.

Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
in general.

She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),
18 answers Last reply
More about processes task manager
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi,

    Likely it is that she is heavily infested with spy/adware and probably some
    viruses. Download these:

    Free virus removal tools:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

    And also:
    Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    Spybot www.safer-networking.org

    Install the latter two and update them, but do not scan at this point. Just
    restart in Safe mode.

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    First run the virus scanners, then the spyware removal tools.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    >A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
    > useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
    > at things.
    >
    > Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
    > the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
    > some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
    > Many I don't recognize.
    >
    > I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
    > holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
    >
    > Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
    > processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
    > in general.
    >
    > She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Please see my response in windowsxp.basics.

    Also please crosspost appropriately instead of creating new posts with the
    same message in different groups.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    >A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
    > useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
    > at things.
    >
    > Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
    > the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
    > some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
    > Many I don't recognize.
    >
    > I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
    > holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
    >
    > Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
    > processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
    > in general.
    >
    > She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I usually have 60 to 70 processes running with no slow down. If a program in
    installed on the computer it may insert itself in run. You can use program
    options/preferences to find a setting to prevent this (sometimes). Most
    drivers are in processes (audio, video, printer, modem - you name it).
    Anything that communicates in "real time" through an internet connection
    will likely be there.

    Don't go turning anything off unless you are 110% certain as to what it is
    for. You may find yourself with a blank screen when you boot up - or worse!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    >A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
    > useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
    > at things.
    >
    > Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
    > the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
    > some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
    > Many I don't recognize.
    >
    > I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
    > holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
    >
    > Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
    > processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
    > in general.
    >
    > She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),

    simple solution: try TuneUp Utilities 2004..it works fine to me

    "geezer" wrote:

    > A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
    > useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
    > at things.
    >
    > Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
    > the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
    > some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
    > Many I don't recognize.
    >
    > I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
    > holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
    >
    > Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
    > processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
    > in general.
    >
    > She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    >A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
    > useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
    > at things.
    >
    > Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
    > the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
    > some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
    > Many I don't recognize.
    >
    > I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
    > holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
    >
    > Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
    > processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
    > in general.
    >
    > She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),

    If you've got a lot of programs on your machine most of them will try to
    load at startup. Go to Start/Run/Type msconfig/OK/General tab - Selective
    Startup/Startup tab - uncheck all the progs you don't want at startup,
    which'll be most of them. In the General tab the essential boot files should
    all be checked if they aren't already. Leave the computer to always start
    selectively. What all your processes are I don't know but maybe some of them
    are programs that were not uninstalled correctly.

    Rob Graham
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:55:07 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Also please crosspost appropriately instead of creating new posts with the
    >same message in different groups.

    I thought that this is what I did.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I stand corrected. For some reason it only showed in one group initially. My
    apologies.

    --

    > On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:55:07 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Also please crosspost appropriately instead of creating new posts with the
    >>same message in different groups.
    >
    > I thought that this is what I did.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > Hi,
    >
    > Likely it is that she is heavily infested with spy/adware and probably
    > some viruses. Download these:
    >
    > Free virus removal tools:
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    > http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    > http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    > http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
    >
    > And also:
    > Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    > Spybot www.safer-networking.org
    >
    > Install the latter two and update them, but do not scan at this point.
    > Just restart in Safe mode.
    >
    > How to start in Safe mode:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >
    > First run the virus scanners, then the spyware removal tools.

    G,
    It is essential you act on Rick's advice first. Then go to the following
    site (it is a typical site which you can find by using Google) to see what
    the particular processes, you may have in Task Manager, are for.

    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm

    Regards
    Joe Steele
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi.. I was just looking at
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm to see what
    processes are running.. and I have 5 svchost.exe all using different amounts
    of memory... why so many? Rainy
    "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Likely it is that she is heavily infested with spy/adware and probably
    >> some viruses. Download these:
    >>
    >> Free virus removal tools:
    >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    >> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    >> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    >> http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
    >>
    >> And also:
    >> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    >> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
    >>
    >> Install the latter two and update them, but do not scan at this point.
    >> Just restart in Safe mode.
    >>
    >> How to start in Safe mode:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >>
    >> First run the virus scanners, then the spyware removal tools.
    >
    > G,
    > It is essential you act on Rick's advice first. Then go to the following
    > site (it is a typical site which you can find by using Google) to see
    > what the particular processes, you may have in Task Manager, are for.
    >
    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm
    >
    > Regards
    > Joe Steele

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Rainy wrote:
    > I was just looking at
    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm to see
    > what processes are running.. and I have 5 svchost.exe all using
    > different amounts of memory... why so many? Rainy

    The Essentials of Google Search
    http://www.google.com/help/basics.html

    What is the Svchost.exe process(es) in Windows XP?
    http://www.jsifaq.com/subJ/tip4600/rh4660.htm

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    oh then it's normal.. different prosesses use it at various times? that's
    why the different memory usuage! :) thanks.. Rainy
    > Rainy wrote:
    >> I was just looking at
    >> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm to see
    >> what processes are running.. and I have 5 svchost.exe all using
    >> different amounts of memory... why so many? Rainy
    >
    > The Essentials of Google Search
    > http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
    >
    > What is the Svchost.exe process(es) in Windows XP?
    > http://www.jsifaq.com/subJ/tip4600/rh4660.htm
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Sorry, the intial site is :

    Then use alphabetically. Or use the "Back" link at the bottom of the site
    given in my previous email.
    Regards
    Joe Steele

    "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Likely it is that she is heavily infested with spy/adware and probably
    >> some viruses. Download these:
    >>
    >> Free virus removal tools:
    >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    >> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    >> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    >> http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
    >>
    >> And also:
    >> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    >> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
    >>
    >> Install the latter two and update them, but do not scan at this point.
    >> Just restart in Safe mode.
    >>
    >> How to start in Safe mode:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
    >>
    >> First run the virus scanners, then the spyware removal tools.
    >
    > G,
    > It is essential you act on Rick's advice first. Then go to the following
    > site (it is a typical site which you can find by using Google) to see
    > what the particular processes, you may have in Task Manager, are for.
    >
    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm
    >
    > Regards
    > Joe Steele

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Rob

    I fail to see why the OP would not need programs that he had installed
    himself.. there is very little that ends up in the notification area that
    has not been put there by the user..

    What is more, most users have no idea what programs they are stopping, and
    it is not a good idea to do it at random as Anti-virus and firewall are more
    often than not within the start-up group..

    And if you left a company computer set to start selectively, I would fire
    you.. the way to stop programs auto starting is to right click and access
    the programs properties/options for a way to disable the auto-run feature..

    It is also highly unlikely that programs in start-up are installed
    incorrectly..

    The first place to look if a computer gradually slows up is as suggested by
    one or two others.. spyware, malware et al has a habit of finding its way in
    when one is not looking..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Rob graham" <rttgrahamwow@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    >>A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
    >> useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
    >> at things.
    >>
    >> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
    >> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
    >> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
    >> Many I don't recognize.
    >>
    >> I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
    >> holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
    >>
    >> Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
    >> processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
    >> in general.
    >>
    >> She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),
    >>

    > If you've got a lot of programs on your machine most of them will try to
    > load at startup. Go to Start/Run/Type msconfig/OK/General tab - Selective
    > Startup/Startup tab - uncheck all the progs you don't want at startup,
    > which'll be most of them. In the General tab the essential boot files
    > should all be checked if they aren't already. Leave the computer to always
    > start selectively. What all your processes are I don't know but maybe some
    > of them are programs that were not uninstalled correctly.
    >
    > Rob Graham

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message

    > Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
    > the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
    > some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
    > Many I don't recognize.

    Google for each one in turn. You should soon find any that are suspicious.

    I have 53 processes running and all are ok.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    In the meantime, run:

    Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    > "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
    > >
    >> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
    >> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
    >> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
    >> Many I don't recognize.
    >
    > Google for each one in turn. You should soon find any that are suspicious.
    >
    > I have 53 processes running and all are ok.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Rob graham" <rttgrahamwow@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > If you've got a lot of programs on your machine most of them will try to
    > load at startup. Go to Start/Run/Type msconfig/OK/General tab - Selective
    > Startup/Startup tab - uncheck all the progs you don't want at startup,
    > which'll be most of them.

    Not these days - most of my programs that load at startup are antivirus
    programs and spyware blockers etc
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:20:50 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
    <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Update the driver for your NIC from the manufacturer of the NIC.. Try
    >Dell's latest driver first, if that doesn't work, get the actual broadcom or
    >Intel driver it needs from the Broadcom or Intel website..
    >
    >Also - check Dell for an updated BIOS - theirs mainly install from inside
    >Windows (they do the rebooting, etc for you.)

    Did that - to no avail. I swapped out her DDR for my 512, and the
    error has not re-occured as yet (2 hours).

    Thanks
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    geezer wrote:

    > Same DELL computer with XP Home. I have it running better, except for
    > the fact that I think it has the trojan virus connected with runndll
    > Can anyone advise what to do here?

    Well, for next time, dont download and/or install any trojans. It's all
    up to you.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP