Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why so many 'Processes' in task manager???

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 5, 2005 9:40:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
at things.

Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
Many I don't recognize.

I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.

Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
in general.

She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),

More about : processes task manager

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:40:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

Likely it is that she is heavily infested with spy/adware and probably some
viruses. Download these:

Free virus removal tools:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#30...
http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

And also:
Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

Install the latter two and update them, but do not scan at this point. Just
restart in Safe mode.

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

First run the virus scanners, then the spyware removal tools.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:76e6a1tisgdbk7g3etne0gikhfkgp1p1t7@4ax.com...
>A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
> useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
> at things.
>
> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
> Many I don't recognize.
>
> I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
> holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
>
> Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
> processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
> in general.
>
> She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:40:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Please see my response in windowsxp.basics.

Also please crosspost appropriately instead of creating new posts with the
same message in different groups.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:76e6a1tisgdbk7g3etne0gikhfkgp1p1t7@4ax.com...
>A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
> useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
> at things.
>
> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
> Many I don't recognize.
>
> I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
> holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
>
> Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
> processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
> in general.
>
> She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:40:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I usually have 60 to 70 processes running with no slow down. If a program in
installed on the computer it may insert itself in run. You can use program
options/preferences to find a setting to prevent this (sometimes). Most
drivers are in processes (audio, video, printer, modem - you name it).
Anything that communicates in "real time" through an internet connection
will likely be there.

Don't go turning anything off unless you are 110% certain as to what it is
for. You may find yourself with a blank screen when you boot up - or worse!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:76e6a1tisgdbk7g3etne0gikhfkgp1p1t7@4ax.com...
>A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
> useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
> at things.
>
> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
> Many I don't recognize.
>
> I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
> holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
>
> Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
> processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
> in general.
>
> She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:40:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

simple solution: try TuneUp Utilities 2004..it works fine to me

"geezer" wrote:

> A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
> useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
> at things.
>
> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
> Many I don't recognize.
>
> I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
> holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
>
> Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
> processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
> in general.
>
> She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:00:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:76e6a1tisgdbk7g3etne0gikhfkgp1p1t7@4ax.com...
>A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
> useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
> at things.
>
> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
> Many I don't recognize.
>
> I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
> holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
>
> Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
> processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
> in general.
>
> She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),
>
>

If you've got a lot of programs on your machine most of them will try to
load at startup. Go to Start/Run/Type msconfig/OK/General tab - Selective
Startup/Startup tab - uncheck all the progs you don't want at startup,
which'll be most of them. In the General tab the essential boot files should
all be checked if they aren't already. Leave the computer to always start
selectively. What all your processes are I don't know but maybe some of them
are programs that were not uninstalled correctly.

Rob Graham
June 5, 2005 10:19:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:55:07 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Also please crosspost appropriately instead of creating new posts with the
>same message in different groups.

I thought that this is what I did.

G
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:19:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I stand corrected. For some reason it only showed in one group initially. My
apologies.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:ugg6a1l8giu50qf7q7f5u1nbc50vtmuisu@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:55:07 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
> <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Also please crosspost appropriately instead of creating new posts with the
>>same message in different groups.
>
> I thought that this is what I did.
>
> G
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:23:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:uxxlPcfaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Likely it is that she is heavily infested with spy/adware and probably
> some viruses. Download these:
>
> Free virus removal tools:
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#30...
> http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
>
> And also:
> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>
> Install the latter two and update them, but do not scan at this point.
> Just restart in Safe mode.
>
> How to start in Safe mode:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
>
> First run the virus scanners, then the spyware removal tools.

G,
It is essential you act on Rick's advice first. Then go to the following
site (it is a typical site which you can find by using Google) to see what
the particular processes, you may have in Task Manager, are for.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_...

Regards
Joe Steele
June 6, 2005 12:23:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi.. I was just looking at
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_... to see what
processes are running.. and I have 5 svchost.exe all using different amounts
of memory... why so many? Rainy
"J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
news:eS3%23BQgaFHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:uxxlPcfaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Likely it is that she is heavily infested with spy/adware and probably
>> some viruses. Download these:
>>
>> Free virus removal tools:
>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
>> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
>> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#30...
>> http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
>>
>> And also:
>> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
>> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>>
>> Install the latter two and update them, but do not scan at this point.
>> Just restart in Safe mode.
>>
>> How to start in Safe mode:
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
>>
>> First run the virus scanners, then the spyware removal tools.
>
> G,
> It is essential you act on Rick's advice first. Then go to the following
> site (it is a typical site which you can find by using Google) to see
> what the particular processes, you may have in Task Manager, are for.
>
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_...
>
> Regards
> Joe Steele
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:23:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Rainy wrote:
> I was just looking at
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_... to see
> what processes are running.. and I have 5 svchost.exe all using
> different amounts of memory... why so many? Rainy

The Essentials of Google Search
http://www.google.com/help/basics.html

What is the Svchost.exe process(es) in Windows XP?
http://www.jsifaq.com/subJ/tip4600/rh4660.htm

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
June 6, 2005 12:23:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

oh then it's normal.. different prosesses use it at various times? that's
why the different memory usuage! :)  thanks.. Rainy
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:exP8HBjaFHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Rainy wrote:
>> I was just looking at
>> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_... to see
>> what processes are running.. and I have 5 svchost.exe all using
>> different amounts of memory... why so many? Rainy
>
> The Essentials of Google Search
> http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
>
> What is the Svchost.exe process(es) in Windows XP?
> http://www.jsifaq.com/subJ/tip4600/rh4660.htm
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:32:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Sorry, the intial site is :

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist....

Then use alphabetically. Or use the "Back" link at the bottom of the site
given in my previous email.
Regards
Joe Steele

"J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
news:eS3%23BQgaFHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:uxxlPcfaFHA.2496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Likely it is that she is heavily infested with spy/adware and probably
>> some viruses. Download these:
>>
>> Free virus removal tools:
>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
>> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
>> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#30...
>> http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml
>>
>> And also:
>> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
>> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>>
>> Install the latter two and update them, but do not scan at this point.
>> Just restart in Safe mode.
>>
>> How to start in Safe mode:
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode
>>
>> First run the virus scanners, then the spyware removal tools.
>
> G,
> It is essential you act on Rick's advice first. Then go to the following
> site (it is a typical site which you can find by using Google) to see
> what the particular processes, you may have in Task Manager, are for.
>
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_...
>
> Regards
> Joe Steele
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:57:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Rob

I fail to see why the OP would not need programs that he had installed
himself.. there is very little that ends up in the notification area that
has not been put there by the user..

What is more, most users have no idea what programs they are stopping, and
it is not a good idea to do it at random as Anti-virus and firewall are more
often than not within the start-up group..

And if you left a company computer set to start selectively, I would fire
you.. the way to stop programs auto starting is to right click and access
the programs properties/options for a way to disable the auto-run feature..

It is also highly unlikely that programs in start-up are installed
incorrectly..

The first place to look if a computer gradually slows up is as suggested by
one or two others.. spyware, malware et al has a habit of finding its way in
when one is not looking..



--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"Rob graham" <rttgrahamwow@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 7vej5$qfs$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> news:76e6a1tisgdbk7g3etne0gikhfkgp1p1t7@4ax.com...
>>A friend has a Dell that she said is so bogged down that it is
>> useless. So, to be generous, I said - let me borrow it and I'll look
>> at things.
>>
>> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
>> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
>> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
>> Many I don't recognize.
>>
>> I can't figure out why they are being executed - it is as if they are
>> holdovers from her earlier use of the computer.
>>
>> Anyway, what should I look for to (1) permanently remove all these
>> processes from being brought up at boot, and (2) speed her machine up
>> in general.
>>
>> She is running XP (SP2) Home edition (OEM),
>>
>>
>
> If you've got a lot of programs on your machine most of them will try to
> load at startup. Go to Start/Run/Type msconfig/OK/General tab - Selective
> Startup/Startup tab - uncheck all the progs you don't want at startup,
> which'll be most of them. In the General tab the essential boot files
> should all be checked if they aren't already. Leave the computer to always
> start selectively. What all your processes are I don't know but maybe some
> of them are programs that were not uninstalled correctly.
>
> Rob Graham
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:37:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:76e6a1tisgdbk7g3etne0gikhfkgp1p1t7@4ax.com...
>
> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
> Many I don't recognize.

Google for each one in turn. You should soon find any that are suspicious.

I have 53 processes running and all are ok.
June 6, 2005 10:37:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In the meantime, run:

Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com



"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
news:TaSoe.112006$So5.6680711@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
>
> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> news:76e6a1tisgdbk7g3etne0gikhfkgp1p1t7@4ax.com...
> >
>> Lo, first thing I see is that it takes 10 minutes plus to boot up to
>> the desktop. Then when I look at 'task manager' > 'processes' I see
>> some 50 plus .exe's running - more than I have ever seen before!
>> Many I don't recognize.
>
> Google for each one in turn. You should soon find any that are suspicious.
>
> I have 53 processes running and all are ok.
>
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:09:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Rob graham" <rttgrahamwow@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D 7vej5$qfs$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> If you've got a lot of programs on your machine most of them will try to
> load at startup. Go to Start/Run/Type msconfig/OK/General tab - Selective
> Startup/Startup tab - uncheck all the progs you don't want at startup,
> which'll be most of them.

Not these days - most of my programs that load at startup are antivirus
programs and spyware blockers etc
June 6, 2005 6:41:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:20:50 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>Update the driver for your NIC from the manufacturer of the NIC.. Try
>Dell's latest driver first, if that doesn't work, get the actual broadcom or
>Intel driver it needs from the Broadcom or Intel website..
>
>Also - check Dell for an updated BIOS - theirs mainly install from inside
>Windows (they do the rebooting, etc for you.)


Did that - to no avail. I swapped out her DDR for my 512, and the
error has not re-occured as yet (2 hours).

Thanks
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:12:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

geezer wrote:
>
> Same DELL computer with XP Home. I have it running better, except for
> the fact that I think it has the trojan virus connected with runndll
> Can anyone advise what to do here?

Well, for next time, dont download and/or install any trojans. It's all
up to you.







--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
!