ricyaun

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Hi everybody,
I am a new user to Tom's Hardware.
I am using Windows XP Professional x64. After reinstalling the OS I began updating directly from the Microsoft update site. After a few updates the site began to no longer validate my administrator acount and not let me in.
After much failed research I called Microsoft. The gentleman informed me of the admin account validation failure, and it is fairly common. He also wanted to charge me big bucks to fix this problem. In my view Microsft caused it with their updates, and should at least tell me what the problem is so I can resolve the issue. He also made it plain the problem is in my computer.
Automatic updates work fine.
Is there anyone out there familiar with this problem? Obviously this problem has a very specific solution.
Any help or where to find help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from a very angry guy

ricyaun

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
updates are a ongoing problem, seems that they can fix it if you pay, other that, that reinstall and turn the updates off, you could try using EFRC(Eusing Free registry cleaner) and see if it helps first
my personal opion is that MSFT is intentionally screwing up the updates to try to get you to "upgrade" the OS

ricyaun

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Actually I fixed the problem. It is associated with the use of a dynamic optimizer/spyware/os maintenance program. "Advanced System Care v3" from IOBIT. I also encountered similar problems using the program "Eusing Registry Cleaner".
My OS is XP Pro x64. These are both native 32 bit programs and are incompatible with my 64 bit system.
I also encountered similar problems using them with my 32 bit OS on another machine which is exactly the same computer but with XP Home on it. The big difference is WUAUENG1.dll file was not wiped, and Microsoft Update continued to work.
I recommend the Comodo software at this time. I tried it and have not seen any inconsistencies at this point. It seems well thought out, and is available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions that are compliant with both the XP and Vista OS's.
Thank you for the answer.
I plan on writing a white paper to post on the subject since there seems to be an entire industry that built up around this problem, and nobody seems to know the answer. This paper will be more specific, and in much more detail.
I was fortunate in that this occurred on a brand new build, and I was able to restore the system back to the original install. I then started creating creating restore points for every program I installed until the problem appeared.
Once again thanks taking the time to answer my post.